Author Topic: Mount Hart in the Kimberley's may not be opened next season!!  (Read 2422 times)

Offline lov2getaway

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Windjana Gorge 2010
Mount Hart in the Kimberley's may not be opened next season!!
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:09:38 PM »
Just got a email from B Bradtke about this situation, as I purchased her very informative guide before going on our Kimberley trip this year... Not good news...we didn't get to Mt Hart this year due to rain and were hoping to visit next year....maybe not now!

Just thought I would pass on the link in case anyone is interested in the story.

http://www.gibbriverroad.net/mount-hart.html
2011 Camprite, 2011 Prado.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Mount Hart in the Kimberley's may not be opened next season!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »

What a devestating story for a Kimberly Icon. 

Please Swaggers, if you've ever been to Mt Hart, get behind Taffy & Kim and send them your support, and a minister or two a piece of your mind ...

http://www.gibbriverroad.net/mount-hart.html

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »
JOINT STATEMENT BY DEC AND MR TAFFY ABBOTTS
The settlement agreement between the Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC) and Mr Taffy (Neville) Abbotts over contractual arrangements at Mt Hart Wilderness Lodge has been finalised.
Mt Hart Wilderness Lodge is a popular tourism facility in King Leopold Ranges Conservation Park and has been managed by Mr Abbotts since 1991. The successful conclusion of the steps agreed to by Mr Abbotts and DEC means that Mr Abbotts has now left Mt Hart for retirement.
DEC's Deputy Director General Parks and Conservation, Mr Jim Sharp, said the department appreciated Mr Abbotts' contribution at Mt Hart and understood his desire to take on something new after 20 years.
"I am pleased that we have been able to end our association with Mr Abbotts on a positive note and I wish him well with his next venture," Mr Sharp said.
Mr Abbotts confirmed that he was leaving Mt Hart voluntarily.
"I love that Mt Hart country so much, and I have nothing but deepest respect and appreciation for the incredible characters of the local Kimberley community who have stood by me over all these years. I hope those who take over the running of that special place I have called home, and cared for, will do it justice and continue to conserve the historic homesteads and gardens for both the people of the Kimberley and wider Australia," he said.
DEC will continue to operate Mt Hart as a tourism facility as ‘business as usual' during the 2011 tourist season having appointed Stephanie Toy as manager.
The department plans to lease the property to a commercial operator from 2012 via a soon to be advertised call for expressions of interest.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
Quote from: D4D
The successful conclusion of the steps agreed to by Mr Abbotts and DEC means that Mr Abbotts has now left Mt Hart for retirement.
Translated: kicked out?

The department plans to lease the property to a commercial operator from 2012 via a soon to be advertised call for expressions of interest.
Werent they making enough money before?
It just doesnt make sense to me why they are booting him if he has done such a great job over 20 years, its obvious he is well respected and knows whats going on..

Taffy's last night at Mt Hart - pictured with old mates from Alice Springs who have been following our story and dropped in out of the blue to say 'Hi'
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:21:23 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
Well on the upside of a very pisspoor situation its still open  >:( >:(

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
Quote from: gibbo301
Well on the upside of a very pisspoor situation its still open  >:( >:(
You are right there..
I spent most of the arvo reading their website, What a stunning place, and people.
Even their farewell message from yesterday, all I can say is good luck to who ever takes it over, theres some massive boots there to fill.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home