Author Topic: OK let me have it!  (Read 5220 times)

Offline bb6

• Learning the Ropes
OK let me have it!
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
We are possibly within hours of making the final decision on our new (first) CT. ??? We have decided it must be a Trackabout and the deluxe tourer but now we are in the fun game of extras.
We are upgrading to a 12 foot tent with 5 piece breezeway to enclose the annex. We are looking at an extra watertank and battery cradle atm and a handbrake.
So to all those who have a tourer, and those who don't, knowing what you know now what would you have put on your CT at build and what extras can you now not live without? Hubby is a sparky and very handy so there is scope to do our own extras as well.
I am also looking at hopefully one day using this CT as a base for a round Oz trip so keep that in your thoughts.
Oh and there are 2 adults and 4 kids in this crazy mix.
So go.... you have free reign...tell me everything.  :D

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: OK let me have it!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
Innerspring mattress
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »
JT might kill me but, why the 12 foot tent? Perhaps a 10' tent with a 2 or 3 man tent might work, especially if the eldest kids are teens?? If not, then you need to know that a 12' tent, awnig etc is a lot of work.

If doing a lap of OZ, you might need to adopt a 3x3 practice...300ks & stay 3 days...

Just my thoughts but you did say "let me have it"

Hem

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Gazman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
X2 on the mattress! I would also say the 10ft tent is pretty big, much bigger feeling than I thought it would be. Get two battery box's installed, that makes it very easy to upgrade :D I only got one water tank fitted (with 12v pump) because getting the second one later was going to be a pretty straight forward bolt in addition. Lastly get the biggest toolbox Johnny can bolt on! Can't beat storage  :cup:

You'll love the trackabout  :cheers:
80 series Landcruiser
2011 Trackabout safari

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
I agree with Hem and Gaz, we have the 10ft tent Deluxe and it has ample room. The roof height makes it feel very spacious. I wish i had a dollar for every comment on the height.
Unless you really need it, don't. Just extra to set up and you only really sleep in there, no need to swing cats :)
If you must do all your own electrics, see if JT will drill the holes for outlets and into the chassis rails etc before powder coating, and as Gaz says, get battery trays also for the powder coating.
I wish i got a boat rack :) and we didn't get the bigger tool box because we fitted a bike rack for the kids bikes on the drawbar. Very good for the kids!!
Thats about it, it is a well thought out tough trailer that you can't go wrong with!!
Best of luck

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
Fay and Phil

After 4 years of owning a Deluxe Tourer, we have only just put an innerspring mattress in the camper.
The only thing that I would have done at the time of ordering (that would be nice) would be an extra door on the drawbar side of the tent.

I think for your family situation, the 12 foot floor is the better option, than your original thoughts of a drawbar bedroom - which is a lot more work IMHO.

As for the lap around Oz... just get out there and get dirty! I like Hemmy's response of 3x3 (300kms and stay for 3 days) and it will give you plenty of time to see things - I would probably put the foot down when you leave Perth and head north, as there is nothing to see for 1196km up the Great Northern Highway until you hit the Pilbara! I have done this trip 3 times in 5 months. Spend some time at the Visitor Info Centres and get 'mud maps' for the local sights, because there are not many things signposted up this way or find some local knowledge. The Western 4 Wheel Driver Mag also has a range of publications on where to visit in each area. The Pilbara one is great.

Outback Queensland and Western NSW were my favourite places to visit - interesting outback pubs and characters, and the scenery.
Hidden oasis in arid land... I also liked the stone homesteads as you crossed into SA near Peterborough and beyond.

the Nurse
get DIRTY

Offline gruesome

• Don't follow me I'm LOST
  • Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
Another vote for the  largest tool box possible for the front of the CT, I had one fitted to our CT when it was built and reckon it was the best option going,
cheers Andy
2001 Prado OME coils and springs, bfg 265/75/16, UHF, Warn 9000lb winch
dual batteries, snorkel, draw  system, TJM bar, hella lights
Complete Campsite trailer

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »

Water tank = yes (with that many kids - I have 3 myself)
hand brake = yes (manouvering is soooooo much easier)
battery cradle = yes (long term touring in mind, else wise = no)
bigger tent = yes (it does get cramped at times, I don't know about fitting into some caravan sites tho')

Spend more time on here, gathering all the info you can gather = yes

Good piece of kit you're getting. Enjoy it.

Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
I'll go against the grain and say with 4 kids you will probably be grateful for the 12ft tent. We only have the 10ft but only have 2 teenage kids who don't come with us all the time. We don't use our annex much at all but again with 4 kids you probably will if stopping in one spot for more than a couple of days.

We have the 85L tank, battery box with 2 extra 12volt outlets, hand brake and large toolbox. Wouldn't change any of the extras we chose. We have enough to be comfortable without going over the top - I still want to feel like I'm camping if you know what I mean.

One thing I wouldn't be without is the extra door on the back wall. I ummed and ared and finally decided I would get it and I'm so glad I did. We set the ensuite tent up behind the tent so this door makes access so much easier. It also makes access to the toolbox easier. A must have if you ask me. So many people see ours and comment that they wish they had of done the same thing.

You'll love the Trackie, buying it was the best thing we ever did. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.

:cheers: Glenyse
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:17:25 PM by Tracey family »

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:35 AM »
Hi bb6 ,
Firstly congrats on the trackabout , JT has used me for one of his testimonials and as I stated in that I believe that the trackabout is one of the best camp trailers out there. Modifications and extras are a personal thing, and you need to work out what is best for your needs. Look around this site and talk to people by all means but at the end of the day it will come down to needs and wants. Cheers duggie and GO THE TRACKABOUT :cup:
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline bb6

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »
Thanks everyone. You're absolutely right it will come down to personal needs but since we don't actually know what we "need" yet it is great to get advice from others.
Dreaming of campers and where to store everything etc. After tenting for so long we know that any challenge a camper offers will be minimal.

Thanks for all your advice..will let you know what the final decision is SOON!! ;D

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
Hi bb6,

First up, congrats on you new camper! You can't go wrong with a Trackabout!

Best advice I can give on this is to have a chat to JT himself. The man's got more experience with these things than most mere mortals, and knows what works and what doesn't. Plus he's not afraid to talk you out of expensive options if he thinks that they won't suit you.

When we bought ours, my mindset was to get the stuff done that would be a pain/impossible to re-do later on, but leave pretty much everything else. So if you're getting the trailer powdercoated, then certainly have a think about any holes or mounting spots that you might like drilled/welded, because it's very hard to do that later and not have it look like it's been added on. If you can do it beforehand, then it all just gets powdercoater together and looks ace.

Given that you've got 4 kids, I'd probably stick with the 12" tent. They are more work to set up, and I do like the 10" tent we've got, but I think you'll really benefit from the extra space. Especially with the enclosed annex - it adds a lot more usable room. 

And seeing that you can do the electrics yourself, I'd definately be following Humbolts suggestion and asking JT to get all the electric mounting/access stuff ready for you before finishing. He was able to do it for us, and it's going to make a big difference to the finished job once I can get around to doing the 12v fitout. Also as Gaz has said, get the 2 battery trays even if you only want to use one initially, having the second one there will make it wasy to upgrade later.

Water tanks - I'd definately spring for the provision for the second tank, even if you don't actually go for the second tank straight away.Same as above - putting the extra mounting rails under now and powdercoating them is easy and straightforward compared to retro-fitting them later.

If you're looking at doing the big lap, easy storage becomes crucial to having a good time - a place for everythign and everythign in it's place. It might be worthwhile have a chat to JT about the Drifta storage draws in the tub of the trailer, or other similar solutions to make internal organisation easy.

About the only other thing I'd try to talk you into is upgrading to one of the Extenda trailers  ;D ;D, but I probably don't have much hope of that. It sounds like you're on the right track though! Enjoy your new camper when it arrives! Lucky ducks!

Congrats!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline GSK33

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Tent
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
Thanks everyone. You're absolutely right it will come down to personal needs but since we don't actually know what we "need" yet it is great to get advice from others.
Dreaming of campers and where to store everything etc. After tenting for so long we know that any challenge a camper offers will be minimal.

Thanks for all your advice..will let you know what the final decision is SOON!! ;D
Is it SOON yet  ;D

Offline Crazy Dog

• Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
Matto Matto - not like you my friend   ....

"Given that you've got 4 kids, I'd probably stick with the 12" tent.."
But yes the Trackabout is definitely the way forward and yes re JT.. A fantastic bloke who will do you right..

Grrr!!!
Cairns FNQ - I love poor little defenseless animals, especially in gravy.

Offline Trackaprado

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »
We got the extra room ( i think they call it a sun room) which goes on the end of the main tent section.  We only use when in the one spot for a week or so and it was half the cost of the drawbar side room.  It takes up very little room when packed and is a breeze to set up.

One thing I would get if I had the chance again is to see if you can get some awnings sewn into the drawbar side windows on the outside, ie above the main bed and in the main tent, just so you can get some shade on that side if you need it. 

I also got a 2m drawbar, just so I have room for the large tool box, bike rack, and stone guard.

Happy Shopping

Grant

Offline waz65

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »
[quote author=Tracey family link=topic=12849.msg191084#msg191084 date=1303125178One thing I wouldn't be without is the extra door on the back wall. I ummed and ared and finally decided I would get it and I'm so glad I did. We set the ensuite tent up behind the tent so this door makes access so much easier. It also makes access to the toolbox easier. A must have if you ask me. So many people see ours and comment that they wish they had of done the same thing.
:cheers: Glenyse
[/quote]
I want to do this on our CT , would be sooo much easier when your in the camper and want something out of the toolbox , and agree with all so far
2000 Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with mods

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »
We are possibly within hours of making the final decision on our new (first) CT. ??? We have decided it must be a Trackabout and the deluxe tourer but now we are in the fun game of extras.
We are upgrading to a 12 foot tent with 5 piece breezeway to enclose the annex. We are looking at an extra watertank and battery cradle atm and a handbrake.
So to all those who have a tourer, and those who don't, knowing what you know now what would you have put on your CT at build and what extras can you now not live without? Hubby is a sparky and very handy so there is scope to do our own extras as well.
I am also looking at hopefully one day using this CT as a base for a round Oz trip so keep that in your thoughts.
Oh and there are 2 adults and 4 kids in this crazy mix.
So go.... you have free reign...tell me everything.  :D

OOOH   

I hope I am not to late to introduce you to http://www.explorercampers.com.au/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=viewcategory&catid=3&Itemid=5 

They are not much more expensive and maybe not as well known but side by side there is no comparison  IMHO.   However if you are after a product that is well known then yeah jump on the band wagon..
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »
Hahahaha c'mon Kiwipete, you are not alone and that,s why they went the trackabout as there IS no comparison  ;D

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »
We have a Deluxe Tourer, but only 3 kids  ;D.
We have the 10' tent & so far ( almost 5yrs ) have found it big enough for us. We have slept 6 , us on the queen bed, 2x2 bunks for our 3 + 1 other. A couple of extras we had done were an extra door in the front corner ( draw bar wall) & a 6' awning for the draw bar side. If we are in one spot for a few days, we set up the draw bar awning. It gives a fair bit of extra shade, you can leave the bed windows open more & not have to worry about any rain. This with the extra door gives dry access to the toolbox / battery area. Handy spot to set up the free standing hammock in the shade & "hide" from the kids.If there was anything I would do differently, it would of been to have provision made for a 2nd water tank. Ours had a 65ltr tank as standard, more water storage would be nice but a couple of jerry cans extra keeps us going. :cheers:

GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »
I also am the proud owner of a Deluxe tourer. 

Is a smaller tent with the ability to attach a room an option that would give more flexibility ?

Aside from the very good suggestions already made by others, a recovery point on the rear to attach a bike rack may be worth considering.  A boat rack with a cage attached will also give you a considerable amount of storage.

Offline campergirl

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
I would Definately get the 12ft tent, am a single mother with 3 teenage boys, it's no more drama to pull out and pack up then the 10ft tent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »
JT might kill me but, why the 12 foot tent? Perhaps a 10' tent with a 2 or 3 man tent might work, especially if the eldest kids are teens?? If not, then you need to know that a 12' tent, awnig etc is a lot of work.

If doing a lap of OZ, you might need to adopt a 3x3 practice...300ks & stay 3 days...

Just my thoughts but you did say "let me have it"

Hem

+1 on that. we have just gone down from a 12' for that very reason.