Author Topic: Whats your ultimate touring setup  (Read 9584 times)

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Whats your ultimate touring setup
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
I'm pretty happy with my little hybrid. For overnight stops it's just a matter of walking around it and undoing 4 clips, opening the rear door, and pushing the lid up. Takes less than a minute. For longer stops, it takes a few minutes to disconnect from the vehicle, drop the legs, deploy the awning and the kitchen. It's still only 10 or 15 minutes if I'm not rushing. I've 'been there and done that' with a soft-floor with a big awning, and whilst it was great with heaps of room for the kids, I'm much happier with quick and easy these days.

For more extreme off-road trips I use a jet-tent bunker under a 270 degree awning. 5 to 10 minute setup depending on whether I attach the walls. I'm generally cracking a beer before most others are half set up.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
I can be on my 3rd can by the time you almost finish setting up...……….. ;D ;D
think you've mistaken me for someone that takes more Shit away then necessary with them....6 latches undone, flip the camper floor over push the u shaped bar up and 2 spreader bars inside to put in, then another 2 minutes to put the front few poles of the front awning in, camper is ready to sleep in...literally takes me about 5 minutes to set our trailer up if we aren't putting the awning up, add maybe 10 more minutes to throw the awning on if we are staying a few nights. My kids sleep on the hardfloor on self inflating matresses, no stretchers to set up or anything, it's all about doing as little as possible to allow maximum relaxation time, and I'll usually grab a refreshing beverage to enjoy whilst setting the camper up, so at least you won't be drinking alone :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:06:22 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
I can be on my 3rd can by the time you almost finish setting up...……….. ;D ;D

I’ve had trips like that. My mates have a photo of me sleeping on top of a rolled up swag 😂😂😂

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
Very happy with our Tvan, but there is only 2 of us (just need a diesel heater and an instant awning).  I can see a hybrid in our future as we get older.

I am sick of the engine, gearbox of the (3.0) patrol so my ultimate tug would be a Supercab Ranger with Superior engineering coil springs and some chassis mods

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
I’ve had trips like that. My mates have a photo of me sleeping on top of a rolled up swag 😂😂😂

Glad to hear I'm not that only one who has done that   ;D ;D
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2018, 09:08:41 AM »
Quote from: Alan Loy
a Supercab Ranger with Superior engineering coil springs and some chassis mods
how much on top of the car price is that setup?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
how much on top of the car price is that setup?
The kits are about $7000 + fitting so under $10,000.  No GVM upgrade though  :'(  https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/4x4-suspension/coil-conversion-kits?filter=364,355

You could think about engine upgrades as well, of course the sky is always the limit  ;D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
The kits are about $7000 + fitting so under $10,000.  No GVM upgrade though  :'(  https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/4x4-suspension/coil-conversion-kits?filter=364,355

You could think about engine upgrades as well, of course the sky is always the limit  ;D
just throw the grenade away and go Project Toni :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »
My ultimate set up would be 20ft van with room for a quad bike, a nice comfortable car with a boat on top. Still unsure what car but something like a 79 series toyota but with the interior of a 200 series.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia