Author Topic: Unmarked police cars , what would you do ?  (Read 12125 times)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
Re: Unmarked police cars , what would you do ?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
In qld the police have the right to pull you over in a marked or unmarked vehicle. Since the invention of the ‘random’ breath test, they can randomly profile anyone they want and pull them over for a test and a chat. You do not have the right to continue driving to anywhere you please. You have the right to remain in your locked vehicle until they sufficiently identify themselves which won’t take long because they mostly always have badges and guns. If the first one isn’t sufficient they’ll show you the second one. They also wear uniforms. If you’ve managed to get pulled up by non uniform Detectives for a traffic breach they’ll have a very good reason and may well have guns drawn anyway. I never understood how anyone thought that antagonising a copper would ever further their cause. In other states there are very strong penalties for failing to stop (jades law? Can’t recall - a toddler was killed by someone refusing to stop). If you intend to drive to a well lit public area, put your hazards on and slow down so the coppers know that you acknowledge them and intend to comply. They will not do anything unreasonable until you do. Ring police link or 000 if you fully suspect they are not police and comms will work it out within 30 seconds and dispatch many proper coppers to come save your arse.

All so very true....................for city slickers!
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 09:06:18 AM »
All so very true....................for city slickers!

Haha do you know somebody who lives in the country? :police:

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
Haha do you know somebody who lives in the country? :police:

But, of course!!! My main man.

Tjupurulu Mulan.  O0
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
But, of course!!! My main man.

Tjupurulu Mulan.  O0

You spelt it wrong. A lot of unmarked traffic coppers get around the western desert?  :cheers:

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
To be honest, my "slicker" comment was in reference to the geographical location of the original poster who is in DFNQ (Deep Far North Qld)  ;D
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
[quote ]
 If you’ve managed to get pulled up by non uniform Detectives for a traffic breach they’ll have a very good reason
Yep being p*ssed out of their brains and ticked off that your girlfriend and her two flat mates knocked them and their advances plus an invite to a party back,  Also tended to get you pulled up pretty quick at any hour of the day / night just because you fitted a description and followed for a few weeks, in my town ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
In qld the police have the right to pull you over in a marked or unmarked vehicle. Since the invention of the ‘random’ breath test, they can randomly profile anyone they want and pull them over for a test and a chat. You do not have the right to continue driving to anywhere you please. You have the right to remain in your locked vehicle until they sufficiently identify themselves which won’t take long because they mostly always have badges and guns. If the first one isn’t sufficient they’ll show you the second one. They also wear uniforms. If you’ve managed to get pulled up by non uniform Detectives for a traffic breach they’ll have a very good reason and may well have guns drawn anyway. I never understood how anyone thought that antagonising a copper would ever further their cause. In other states there are very strong penalties for failing to stop (jades law? Can’t recall - a toddler was killed by someone refusing to stop). If you intend to drive to a well lit public area, put your hazards on and slow down so the coppers know that you acknowledge them and intend to comply. They will not do anything unreasonable until you do. Ring police link or 000 if you fully suspect they are not police and comms will work it out within 30 seconds and dispatch many proper coppers to come save your arse.
Best answer yet.

Refuse to pull over and don't be surprised with a not so polite response.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Justin

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
don't be surprised with a not so polite response.

If they have to chase you, it ends up pretty similar too.  ;D

:police: wasn't happy.....
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
Would like to see an official ruling from the police themselves.

It’s quite simply an offence, legislation tells you it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
It’s quite simply an offence, legislation tells you it is.

Yep, and for the nervous people who think otherwise, if a half normal looking bloke (or female ) pulls you over, and shows you their badge, it's about this time you start saying yes sir , no sir and anything else they want to know. And with a lot of luck, they MIGHT just let you off with a warning for the thing you just did wrong !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
By the same token, the Police, have been doing their job for a while.  They can tell the difference between someone refusing to stop and someone not stopping.  Yes there a difference.  They are aware some people do have concerns about an unmarked vehicle pulling them over.  Particularly at night, Police would rather pull are vehicle over in a well light, not for your safety, but for their safety.  If you have concerns, firstly acknowledge them, by slowing firstly.  Like I say, there is a big difference between refusing to stop and not stopping. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2018, 05:26:29 AM »
By the same token, the Police, have been doing their job for a while.  They can tell the difference between someone refusing to stop and someone not stopping.  Yes there a difference.  They are aware some people do have concerns about an unmarked vehicle pulling them over.  Particularly at night, Police would rather pull are vehicle over in a well light, not for your safety, but for their safety.  If you have concerns, firstly acknowledge them, by slowing firstly.  Like I say, there is a big difference between refusing to stop and not stopping.
In saying that though highway cars have cameras. If you do not call a pursuit on the radio you get a big kick up the butt so there is a high likelihood you will face a legal process

Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2018, 08:09:42 AM »
In saying that though highway cars have cameras. If you do not call a pursuit on the radio you get a big kick up the butt so there is a high likelihood you will face a legal process

Big difference between a pursuit, refusing to stop and not stopping. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
Explaining yourself is a nice idea, provided you get the chance.

This was a marked car though...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-20/police-officer-draws-gun-on-pensioner-and-pepper-sprays-her-dog/10419258

KingBilly

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-20/police-officer-draws-gun-on-pensioner-and-pepper-sprays-her-dog/10419258

This should be in the what made me smile thread ;D

There are always two sides to every story and somewhere in between is the truth.  Unfortunately, the media only ever chooses to report the sensational side of a story. Bet the ABC will never report the court outcome.

KB

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »
The whole clip was floating around for a while.

Cop pulls in behind her and puts his lights on.
she drives on...
lights and siren
she drives on
lights, siren, flashing headlights and horn
she pulls over a bit and slows
cop pulls in behind her
she drives back on to the road, drives home and parks in the shed

'I thought he was after someone else'   ??? ???

Cop over reacted, maybe. Should she still have a license....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:57:10 PM by Hoyks »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2018, 07:14:48 PM »

Sorry but she is too ****in stupid to have a license.
You see a marked ambo/firetruck/bacon car following you bells and whistles, and you don't pull over (someone of her age should know what to do by now), then she should have had the book thrown at her, but the felame judge bought the whole box and dice.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »

Sorry but she is too ****in stupid to have a license.
felame judge bought the whole box and dice.
90% aren't capable.

A bleeding heart.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
This should be in the what made me smile thread ;D

There are always two sides to every story and somewhere in between is the truth.  Unfortunately, the media only ever chooses to report the sensational side of a story. Bet the ABC will never report the court outcome.

KB

Yep, he's not only a wanker, he is arrogant. Hope she sues his arse off.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

KingBilly

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2019, 09:38:16 AM »

A well balanced, thoughtful response  :cup:

KB
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:46:13 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »

Whilst pulling the gun may have been an overreaction, it's a matter of fact that she failed to stop, and she was driving an unregistered vehicle. The mind blowing thing here is that the magistrate dismissed the charges when she was clearly guilty.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Unmarked police cars , what would you do ?
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
There is always 2 sides to every story...

One side;

“Fines for driving unregistered vehicles have accelerated in NSW since the removal of car registration stickers in 2013, with hapless motorists blaming the state government for not sending reminders to renew registration.

Fines for driving unregistered in NSW, worth more than $240 million in state revenue over the past six years, are up from about 60,000 to 65,000 last year. There was a sharp jump in fines when registration stickers were first removed in 2013, and five years on they remained elevated, suggesting drivers have not adjusted to the new system.

Erasing rego stickers was sold as a "making life easier" measure but many drivers told The Sun-Herald it served as an everyday reminder. They say they were not contacted, reminded by post, email or SMS before NSW Police pulled them over and gave them two fines – one for being unregistered and one for being uninsured, worth $673 each.”

And the other side;

“THE last thing police expected when scanning for unregistered cars at their local station was to nab two of their own.

But that’s just what happened when a highway patrol car fitted with Automatic Number Plate Recognition technology, known as ANPR, started reading plates in the Windsor Police Station carpark.

Two police vehicles were red flagged by the system last month for being unregistered and, therefore, uninsured, meaning its officers had been breaking the law each time they put them on the road.

The rogue vehicles were revealed as a mobile police van and a trailer used to launch the command’s police boat.

The station’s commander, Superintendent Steve Egginton, said both vehicles had been unregistered for several weeks.

A police spokesman said a paperwork error was to blame for the rego bungle, the same excuse used by thousands of drivers pinged every year by the ANPR system.

But unlike the average NSW motorist, the station’s commanding officers decided to let themselves off without a fine, declaring that the vehicles hadn’t been in use at the time they were caught, and therefore no law was being flouted.”

See 2 sides to every story, or as its more commonly known “one rule them, different rules for everyone else”.
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »

One side;

“Fines for driving unregistered vehicles have accelerated in NSW since the removal of car registration stickers in 2013, with hapless motorists blaming the state government for not sending reminders to renew registration.

Fines for driving unregistered in NSW, worth more than $240 million in state revenue over the past six years, are up from about 60,000 to 65,000 last year. There was a sharp jump in fines when registration stickers were first removed in 2013, and five years on they remained elevated, suggesting drivers have not adjusted to the new system.

Erasing rego stickers was sold as a "making life easier" measure but many drivers told The Sun-Herald it served as an everyday reminder. They say they were not contacted, reminded by post, email or SMS before NSW Police pulled them over and gave them two fines – one for being unregistered and one for being uninsured, worth $673 each.”

And the other side;

“THE last thing police expected when scanning for unregistered cars at their local station was to nab two of their own.

But that’s just what happened when a highway patrol car fitted with Automatic Number Plate Recognition technology, known as ANPR, started reading plates in the Windsor Police Station carpark.

Two police vehicles were red flagged by the system last month for being unregistered and, therefore, uninsured, meaning its officers had been breaking the law each time they put them on the road.

The rogue vehicles were revealed as a mobile police van and a trailer used to launch the command’s police boat.

The station’s commander, Superintendent Steve Egginton, said both vehicles had been unregistered for several weeks.

A police spokesman said a paperwork error was to blame for the rego bungle, the same excuse used by thousands of drivers pinged every year by the ANPR system.

But unlike the average NSW motorist, the station’s commanding officers decided to let themselves off without a fine, declaring that the vehicles hadn’t been in use at the time they were caught, and therefore no law was being flouted.”

See 2 sides to every story, or as its more commonly known “one rule them, different rules for everyone else”.

When my rego is due in NSW I get two reminders. The first is when the current green slip insurer sends me a renewal and the second is when the RMS sends me my rego renewal papers. Haven’t missed a rego renewal yet.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »

One side;

And the other side;

I fail to see how that example is "one rule them, different rules for everyone else". If the vehicles where not being used at the time what is the offence? No different to having an unregistered vehicle sitting in your driveway - you cant get pinged for it if its not being used