Author Topic: Looking for a Dog  (Read 3265 times)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Looking for a Dog
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
One for the NSW swaggers
I am looking for a new dog, specifically a Jack Russell pup

Does not have to be show quality and dont mind if he is a bit of a mixed breed

If anyone knows of any breeders or similar in NSW please let me know
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Looking for a Dog
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »
Do a dog a favour Look around the animal shelters and sometimes Gumtree has people listing feed dog.  Too many morons out there who shouldnt be allowed to have a dog and many end up being mistreated and then end up in pounds.  Good luck with your search. I have a jack russell ( supposed to be 100%..BUT!)...FANTASTIC MATES ONCE YOU BOND!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:13:08 AM »
Best to contact your local canine association to find registered breeders. Stay away from the puppy farms, the Victorian Canine Association is now called Dogs Victoria I think, not sure what they call the NSW variety this week.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
The following users thanked this post: Pete79

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »
Here is Lucy: https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/667130

We'll be looking for a rescue dog for our family early in the new year after we come back from our Christmas trip up north, found 3 or 4 on that site that I want to go and get today....
:cheers: for the link..

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:07:20 AM »
We'll be looking for a rescue dog for our family early in the new year after we come back from our Christmas trip up north, found 3 or 4 on that site that I want to go and get today....
:cheers: for the link..

You said you wanted only one, have you now included the rest of your family in the choice of one each? >:D >:D >:D
Nothing like the sound of paws or feet just following you around.
And it's a real wrench when something happens.
Hope you get a good one.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
when we were first looking for a Samoyed... we joined the NSW Samoyed Rescue facebook page. We even applied for a puppy that was a rescue. At the exact same time... a male puppy became available from our (preferred) breeder. As first time dog parents... we went with a puppy from the breeder (she also shows dogs and trains them for agility).

So I would suggest checking out the Jack Russell Rescue Australia page https://www.facebook.com/jrtrescue/?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARCExTfeTnTCoXd0qS9YE0g3zmkBb9VT_88xky9Gx0lgeTGn0CV7UGhqQvkap1s141iUal1f3rbBMLUi&fref=nf

There's a Sydney pup' looking for a home there right now.

Good luck on your addition to the family.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
Cool thanks it is definitely rescue dog all the way all of our animals growing up have been from the pound... Just thought i would put the word out as there are now so many other sites apart from the RSPCA
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »
Have you had a Jack Russell before Chester? they are great company.  I have always had gun dogs and always had a Jack to keep them company, have had four of them now, always laugh at the little buggers bossing around a big tough Chesapeake. Had to put my last one down about a month or two ago, miss her, she had a terrific personality. Good luck with yours, you wont be sorry

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
How about a greyhound, I have one just retired from the track looking for a home  :laugh:
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper
The following users thanked this post: flossy

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 07:44:37 AM »
Have you had a Jack Russell before Chester? they are great company.  I have always had gun dogs and always had a Jack to keep them company, have had four of them now, always laugh at the little buggers bossing around a big tough Chesapeake. Had to put my last one down about a month or two ago, miss her, she had a terrific personality. Good luck with yours, you wont be sorry

Hi there no we have not had a jack russell before. After the last dog being a lovable but huge 54kg monster we agreed that something smaller was on the cards as there is a potential it can go the the missus work some days of the week so we are looking for a smaller dog with a big personality
I Drink & I Know Things

KingBilly

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
Another possibility in that size, and an Australian breed, is the Tenterfield Terrier.  Great little dog, heaps of personality.  Our little fella lived for 11 years and only the cancer stopped him bouncing around in the end.

KB

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
We always had German Shepherds, but 3 years after our last pair of Sheps, we (I) decided to go for a Jack Russell this time. Getting on a bit and thought it might be easier than Shepherds. Man was I wrong, Jack Russels keep you on the run alright (in a good way :) ). Our was a recue dog too and he had a couple of small issues, but has come along beautifully. He was almost 2 when we got him, and turned 3 in November.

They are very loyal, and can be a bit protective, but have a lovely nature. Hate to say it, but probably smarter than Sheps too. Mine checks to see what I get dressed in the morning, and can tell if I'm staying home or going out somewhere. (maybe i just dress like a slob at home). We take him for runs on Stockton Beach, and let him off lead up in the dunes. We usually do about 4Km in the dunes, but he'd do 3 times that easily, with running up and down and back and forth.

You may have to limit their TV time though, our tends to be a bit of a TV addict. As soon as he hears a particular ad music come on, he bolts in to bark at the dog or cat or whatever is on it. He knows them all too... :(.

Hope find what you're looking for anyway, but you can't go wrong with a Jack Russell.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 12:16:03 PM »
My pisshead ex-neighbour had 2 Jacks, and from the moment he put the keys in his ignition at 5am till the time he took them out of the ignition in the arvo they barked and moaned like ****s at anything, a moth farting, or a plan 50,000,000klms away. ****in nightmares.

He had several letters from people up and down the place as his joint backs on to properties from the side street telling him to do something about them or the people would..
Council came about 10 times, warned him, warned him, warned him .... but in the end couldn't give a **** either.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 03:02:48 PM »
Hi,
    Next doors have 3 minture dachsunds that bark at everything and each other. Fortunately we tend not to use that side of the house much and can ignore them.
I don't know if that is typical of the breed, but it would be a pain to live with them.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
We always had German Shepherds, but 3 years after our last pair of Sheps, we (I) decided to go for a Jack Russell this time. Getting on a bit and thought it might be easier than Shepherds. Man was I wrong, Jack Russels keep you on the run alright (in a good way :) ). Our was a recue dog too and he had a couple of small issues, but has come along beautifully. He was almost 2 when we got him, and turned 3 in November.

They are very loyal, and can be a bit protective, but have a lovely nature. Hate to say it, but probably smarter than Sheps too. Mine checks to see what I get dressed in the morning, and can tell if I'm staying home or going out somewhere. (maybe i just dress like a slob at home). We take him for runs on Stockton Beach, and let him off lead up in the dunes. We usually do about 4Km in the dunes, but he'd do 3 times that easily, with running up and down and back and forth.

You may have to limit their TV time though, our tends to be a bit of a TV addict. As soon as he hears a particular ad music come on, he bolts in to bark at the dog or cat or whatever is on it. He knows them all too... :(.

Hope find what you're looking for anyway, but you can't go wrong with a Jack Russell.
My pisshead ex-neighbour had 2 Jacks, and from the moment he put the keys in his ignition at 5am till the time he took them out of the ignition in the arvo they barked and moaned like ****s at anything, a moth farting, or a plan 50,000,000klms away. ****in nightmares.

He had several letters from people up and down the place as his joint backs on to properties from the side street telling him to do something about them or the people would..
Council came about 10 times, warned him, warned him, warned him .... but in the end couldn't give a **** either.
Hi,
    Next doors have 3 minture dachsunds that bark at everything and each other. Fortunately we tend not to use that side of the house much and can ignore them.
I don't know if that is typical of the breed, but it would be a pain to live with them.
Cheers

99.9 times out of 100 that is not the dogs fault, it is the way they are / or are not trained. Some people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
Hi,
    Possibly,  but the two previous dogs, both larger breeds, were much more sensible.
The yapalots would be lucky to have a brain cell between them. 
Cheers

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
Outlaws have a Jack Russell in the UK, came from working game keeper stock... absolute killer little dog - mice, rats and rabbits are all fair game - and loyal as to their boss (in this case, the Father in Law) but will do things for others if they like them.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
Outlaws have a Jack Russell in the UK, came from working game keeper stock... absolute killer little dog - mice, rats and rabbits are all fair game - and loyal as to their boss (in this case, the Father in Law) but will do things for others if they like them.
Couple of years ago we had a bit of a  rat plaque down here, my little Jack kept them out of my place, for a while every couple of days i would find one dead in the yard, was pretty good sorting those bloody minors too

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 05:58:12 PM »
Jack Russells are a great little dog, and as others have said, characters with spirit. Another breed that has a lot of the same traits is the Miniature Schnauzer, which could be worth a look at.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 10:17:11 PM »
Jack Russells have spirit alright....

My mates Jack Russell loved nothing more then running amok with my American Bulldog. They'd both go nuts for hours.
I think they thought they where brothers...   ;D 
After my big 67kg sook got owned by the 6.5kg Jack Russsell my mate's daughters would dress the big fella appropriately... :angel:

I've had 2 mates with Jack Russells and my only negitive comment is they can get a bit snappy sometimes.