Author Topic: I thought the Hand Grenade stories were wives tales  (Read 17683 times)

Offline truckiejas

• Swag User
  • Truckiejas
Re: I thought the Hand Grenade stories were wives tales
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
i recon my GU 4.2tdi just went up in price with this thread :cup: :cheers:

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 08:12:54 AM »

Let me guess you have never owned one but know everything about them i'm guessing...!!!!

Interesting personal attack.  Unusual behaviour for you.

No I have not owned a 3l patrol.

I am however a diesel mechanic and maintain links with fleet and friends in the game.  Can u point me in the direction of a Uni that is running a masters course on the subject so I may make comment into the future.

PS read all my posts.  There is a fantastic patrol and it's fitted with a reliable, powerful and sweet engine.  It's just not a diesel and sadly most people have no understanding of working out true running costs of vehicles and only look at diesel.

PS. I am not an accountant but have managed fleet.  I have complete done accounting unit at Uni.  Did you want me to scan it to support my comment?

:)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »

There is a fantastic patrol and it's fitted with a reliable, powerful and sweet engine.

Yep it's the 4.2 turbo diesel, always was and always will be :D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
Yep it's the 4.2 turbo diesel, always was and always will be :D
Yep she's a beaut too.  Not many around though. 

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 03:23:28 PM »
Interesting personal attack.  Unusual behaviour for you.

No I have not owned a 3l patrol.

I am however a diesel mechanic and maintain links with fleet and friends in the game.  Can u point me in the direction of a Uni that is running a masters course on the subject so I may make comment into the future.

PS read all my posts.  There is a fantastic patrol and it's fitted with a reliable, powerful and sweet engine.  It's just not a diesel and sadly most people have no understanding of working out true running costs of vehicles and only look at diesel.

PS. I am not an accountant but have managed fleet.  I have complete done accounting unit at Uni.  Did you want me to scan it to support my comment?

So I was right, the rest of it..., other then being DM, not sure why u have mentioned it, and not pers attack either, sarcastic maybe, but not pers.

Swanny

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
                                 Please Consider                  Pajero                                     :cup: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Steinzy

• Tent User
  • 1980's Jayco Dove
    • LJ Hooker Mermaid Beach
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »
                                 Please Consider                  Pajero                                     :cup: :cheers:

X2. Very happy with our Pajero and would highly recommend not discounting it off the list simply due to the fact it doesn't have the same "status" as a land cruiser or patrol
Steinzy

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
Definitely not wives tales.
There was a period of three to four years that were very susceptible for the classic grenade...ie holed pistons so on and so on. The later models while still have some issues aren't normally the classic "Grenade" when the pin is pulled.
More of a land mine. :angel:
If your going to buy one go into it with your eyes wiiiide open and do your research. If it is something that will always be in the back of your mind worrying about...run. 
Me...I'll take my chances and enjoy while I can :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:40:46 PM by GUEY »
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
So I was right, the rest of it..., other then being DM, not sure why u have mentioned it, and not pers attack either, sarcastic maybe, but not pers.

Swanny

Whats DM?

So lets get to the bottom of this. 

Am I supposed to make comment on this or not.

Is not owning a particular vehicle mean that you are prohibited from commenting on it.  If so then lets ditch the mechanical thread and just post on vehicle specific forums?

So why the sarcasm? 

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »
X2. Very happy with our Pajero and would highly recommend not discounting it off the list simply due to the fact it doesn't have the same "status" as a land cruiser or patrol

lts not the size of the dog in the fight ,,,,,lts the size of the fight in the DOG,,,,,, :cup: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

UIZ733

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »

If so then lets ditch the mechanical thread and just post on vehicle specific forums?

So why the sarcasm? 
It could be moved to the electrical section.  :angel:

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2013, 06:37:14 AM »
Whats DM?

So lets get to the bottom of this. 

Am I supposed to make comment on this or not.

Is not owning a particular vehicle mean that you are prohibited from commenting on it.  If so then lets ditch the mechanical thread and just post on vehicle specific forums?

So why the sarcasm?

PM sent

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
May I ask what a LSX donk is, I just googled it and found too many answers to figure out what it is.
Thanks

It's an all-alloy pushrod GM petrol V8: the LS1 was launched in 1997 in the C5 Corvette (and was adopted in the Holden V-car - Commodore Statesman etc) in 1999. There have been revised/bigger/more powerful versions (LS2, LS3 etc) so rev-heads call them LS 'X' as they are based on the same architecture and take many of the same parts

There is also an iron-block version used in trucks/pickups.

They are good for swaps as they are torquey, efficient and long-lived

Hope this helps

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
i recon my GU 4.2tdi just went up in price with this thread :cup: :cheers:

Just got the insurance renewal for our 4.2TD and the agreed value has gone up!   :cheers:

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Lemo79

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »
18mnths of research never swayed us. If thinking about a Di model, would recommend jumping on the patrol forums and sift through the info available. Very comfortable in our decision with a few precautionary measures taken.  On the other hand you will also find stories of 300-400thou on the 3l Di and still going, and upon asking the owners when did they install NADS, they reply with "what's NADS" I still wouldn't go into one with the it won't happen to me attitude.

Research any vehicle and you will find horror stories.

Lemo.

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »

Lemo.

Very true, just can't mention them if it is to do with a Toyota.  ;D
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61
2015 Kimberley Karavan Eco Suite

Offline bad mudder

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 12:09:55 AM »

If your at the pub and your drunk mate starts chatting up the local drunk skank bike you look after him and gently lead him away. Same with 3L patrols.

Whaaat?? She's a sure thing. Cut his grass and get in there yourself.. ;D

Seriously though, if 3.0 Di models didn't blow up I'd have nothing to put a TD42ti into.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
It's an all-alloy pushrod GM petrol V8: the LS1 was launched in 1997 in the C5 Corvette (and was adopted in the Holden V-car - Commodore Statesman etc) in 1999. There have been revised/bigger/more powerful versions (LS2, LS3 etc) so rev-heads call them LS 'X' as they are based on the same architecture and take many of the same parts

Hope this helps

Thanks Gee Tee.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
18mnths of research never swayed us. If thinking about a Di model, would recommend jumping on the patrol forums and sift through the info available. Very comfortable in our decision with a few precautionary measures taken.  On the other hand you will also find stories of 300-400thou on the 3l Di and still going, and upon asking the owners when did they install NADS, they reply with "what's NADS" I still wouldn't go into one with the it won't happen to me attitude.

Lemo.

And that is the reality of it. Yes the old ZD30 got the hand grenade name for good reason but to continually insult all the modern 3.0l Patrol owners is getting tired.

Same thing happens in the Motorbike industry, a manufacturer makes a lemon so of course everything they make in future is called a lemon by all the online experts regardless of how good it is.

We are starting to get a lot of the same old bashing threads and more and more arm chair experts around here. I think before the so called experts hit the reply button, regardless if it is a thread about electrical, imported campers, a certain 4wd or suspension, perhaps they should think to themselves, if I owned <insert whatever in here> and someone said what I am about to say, would I be insulted?? I am probably guilty of it myself in the past, but in future Ill be making a concerted effort to think about what I am saying before I say it. I am not a 3.0l owner by the way, but I know plenty of them who are more than happy and get insulted everytime some toss walks past and says "hahaha hand grenade mate"

Its one thing to try and offer some advice to help a person but its another thing to burn, bag, rubbish something to that person. Any manufacturer on here that burns, bags and rubbishes another product is not worth a POS in my opinion, obviously I am not reffering to this thread in particular but the forum has many that do just that. Its nice to see someone feel strongly about something and voice their opinion on how they like to do things, but when it then turns into running everyone else's 'way of doing things' down because its not how you do it, then me and most people like me are instantly turned away. Just my opinion of course :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »
Bravo Danny!!!
We've got A Disco 1 which has been over a lot of Oz, Gibb, Gunbarrel, Simmo, High Country etc & the amount of bagging I get & people "In the Know" telling me I won't make it here or there is amazing & amazingly wrong. However, I know what the vehicle & more importantly, what I can do, so it doesn't worry me. By the way, I also have a 4.2 T/Diesel 'Cruiser ute. Wanna know what's better off road  >:D >:D ?
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
And that is the reality of it. Yes the old ZD30 got the hand grenade name for good reason but to continually insult all the modern 3.0l Patrol owners is getting tired.

Same thing happens in the Motorbike industry, a manufacturer makes a lemon so of course everything they make in future is called a lemon by all the online experts regardless of how good it is.

We are starting to get a lot of the same old bashing threads and more and more arm chair experts around here. I think before the so called experts hit the reply button, regardless if it is a thread about electrical, imported campers, a certain 4wd or suspension, perhaps they should think to themselves, if I owned <insert whatever in here> and someone said what I am about to say, would I be insulted?? I am probably guilty of it myself in the past, but in future Ill be making a concerted effort to think about what I am saying before I say it. I am not a 3.0l owner by the way, but I know plenty of them who are more than happy and get insulted everytime some toss walks past and says "hahaha hand grenade mate"

Its one thing to try and offer some advice to help a person but its another thing to burn, bag, rubbish something to that person. Any manufacturer on here that burns, bags and rubbishes another product is not worth a POS in my opinion, obviously I am not reffering to this thread in particular but the forum has many that do just that. Its nice to see someone feel strongly about something and voice their opinion on how they like to do things, but when it then turns into running everyone else's 'way of doing things' down because its not how you do it, then me and most people like me are instantly turned away. Just my opinion of course :)
X2. All too true Danny. :cheers:

Offline Bm0

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

Well said Danny,

I love this forum for its wealth of knowledge and people willing to help, HOWEVER I often find myself holding back from contributing because I really don't want to enter these arguments.

Offline nick_4x4

• Tent User
    • Xiam Design and Hosting
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

Lemo.

My research was about 18months too before we picked one, 245k on the clock and loving it, only had the patrol now for just over a year, never bothered with NADS some say i should with the Di motor but im just more aware of how hard to push my patrol.

We only opted for the Patrol because it come in auto with the diesel whereas the LC only had petrol auto.
Got to say that we test drove around 50 patrols and LC 100's and by far the best we found was the one we are driving, we also looked at petrol versions but the economy was horrible, my wife almost talked me into a prado but it was a 4 week wait on it from the dealership for repairs and ad-dons.

Am i worried about Grenade? yea i guess everyone who owns one would be.

We tend to keep our cars for 1-2 years at most before trading them in and getting something else.
So maybe wife might get her prado in due time.

2004 GU Patrol 3.0TD - 2010 Ezytrail

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »

Hope this helps

Now go wash your mouth out with soap !!!  ;D

The LS series of engines refers to Gen 111 and Gen IV engines. LS1 through to something like LS7 or some crap now. Correct, there are iron and alloy block versions from about 5L through to 7L. But that's beside the point as they are just std crappy GM small blocks.

Soooo...... about 6 or 7 years ago, GM release the new Bowtie Block, named LSX. It's a cast iron, siamesed bore, 6 bolt/cylinder configuration, (std LS are 4. Even Gen I and II small blocks were 5. WTF were they thinking  ??? ) forged doweled mains, genuine priority mains oiling and the best part, they can be drilled out to 4.2" bore size capable of 500 cubes and still hold up to 40 psi from a kick arse pair of spinning carburettors.   ;D  (OK, they don't hold it for long. A lot of Shit breaks)

GM then decided to slap some together and sell them as Bowtie crate engines, using the LSX block. They were/are waaaay over priced pieces of snot only capable of around 900 or so HP. 

With the said mentioned kick arse spinning carburettors, a touch over 2000hp is achievable with an LSX block filled with aftermarket goodies. Or so I'm told  ;D

Shane.

(What was this thread actually about ??? )
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »

X3 Very happy with our NT Paj.  Virtually bulletproof engine and drivetrain, and puts out more power and torque than the diesel Patrol and Prado.
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda