Author Topic: New EzyTrail CT - question re leaks..  (Read 1512 times)

Offline batts

• Learning the Ropes
New EzyTrail CT - question re leaks..
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
Hey everyone,

Well after much deliberation I finally bit the bullet and purchased my first CT, a new EzyTrail Off Road Galv model.  So last week I drove from Adelaide to Melb to collect and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of CT and options for a the small investment.  (Stainless Kitchen, Electric Brakes, 60 litre water tank, ARK battery box, large tool box,  extra room, + awning etc.)

I set the tent up as I knew rain was forecast to season as I have read here.  After a good 24hrs of steady rain I went and inspected the tent and found wherever the mattress touched the canvas it was wet.  I remember reading somewhere that this isnt uncommon and came be solved by running a roll of plastic edging around the mattress where it touches the canvas.  Is this correct?

The second main area of leaking was the water dripping from the centre spreader pole over the bed.  It appears that water/condensation collects on the poles and run down the pole until it forms enough weight to drip, right in the middle of the mattress!!

I then inspected the two centre poles in the room and noticed exactly the same, water collects on the pole where it touches the canvas and about half way down the pole forms a drip and then pools on the floor below.

Is this common?  Does season eliminate this or is it the effect of the poles "wicking" or condensation forming?

Sorry guys, very new to this activity so may possibly fall into the "dumb question" category  ;D

Cheers,

Batts

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: New EzyTrail CT - question re leaks..
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
It will need a couple of wetting down and fully drying out cycles to be fully seasoned.  Hopefully you will see improvements down the track.

Make sure that the outside lower flaps  of the tent cover are pulled down after you set up.  If you dont, water can pool there and keep the tent canvas wet (adjacent to the matress).

We sprayed the pole and strut areas of the ezytrail tent with a waterproofing agent.  Havnt had it really wet to try out again tho!

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Aitken

• Learning the Ropes
Re: New EzyTrail CT - question re leaks..
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »
hey
A few years back we bought a ezy trail off road and ran into the exact same problem,no matter what we did as the way of seasoning or waterproofing could not fix it, i got sick of the leaking and a very crabby wife
we got rid of it and bought a 08 jayco swan outback a couple of weeks ago yet to test it
the only thing i didnt try was try a soak the annexe in a drum for a day or two
hope you find a fix for it they are not a bad camper for the price but it was no match for tassie weather

Cheers
08 jayco swan OB .....05 GU PATROL