Author Topic: Lion Evaporative cooler  (Read 1459 times)

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
Lion Evaporative cooler
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
Does anyone have experience with a Lion evaporative cooler http://www.lion.net.au/12_VOLT_ACCESSORIES.html at the very bottom of the page in the middle.

I know evaporative cooling only works in environments with low humidity, but for this stuation do these things work? I realise evaporative cooling is of no value in the tropics.

Also is there a larger capacity alternative that would work at 12V while stationary ( ie reasonable current draw)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:15:46 AM by boobook »

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
Re: Lion Evaporative cooler
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
No experience with this unit but can tell you evaporative coolers like this will be no good
in a confined space as they need to exchange air, ie bring in dry air from outside and
pump humid air outside.

In a confined space like a a van it won't work if thats what your thinking, be alright outside for a cool breeze.

Remember staying in a cabin once that had an evaporative unit in a wall, it worked great
but have never seen a similar unit since.

Cheers

LeighW
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Lion Evaporative cooler
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
Thanks  Leigh, I am really after any experiences with this unit. You are right about evaporative coolers in general and if they recirculate they increase the humidity. They can be very effective if used in the right environment and useless as the humidity increases.

I really wonder if this thing has sufficient capacity to work even in the right environment.