Author Topic: Camping (not camper) trailer  (Read 10050 times)

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
Camping (not camper) trailer
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
Camping Trailer Thoughts

Hi All,

So we're looking to get rid of our old and leaking tent and move to "something" else. Initially we were thinking camper trailer and the wife still is. I've been having thoughts lately of going in another direction but am posting here to hopefully get some others feedback, thoughts and input.

My main two items of consideration are cost and setup time. Our current setup can take well over an hour mainly because of the large tarp, tent and kitchen. I'd like to get it down to 10minutes without the tarp (think overnight stays).

We have a 7x4 box trailer with small peaked hood (I suppose it's a tradesman top, but kind of half hearted) which we load to the hilt.

So my idea is to remove the top of the trailer (2minute job) and replace it with basically a large box that would slip into the trailer and be fastened to it. The trailer has fold down front and rear panels. The box would have a side window for a permanent kitchen and fridge slide. Rear access to a small (1 foot height) area fo loading heavier/larger items (tarp, tent, etc). Top of the box would be mounting for a solar panel or four. Top would also contain a (hard to describe) pole fitting on either end to attach the tarp to for stays of more than a night. Other side of the top half of the box would be for regular storage. Combine this with an OzTent and you can see setup time for the trailer/kitchen/tarp would be very, very quick.

Open the side panel, the kitchen is setup! Attach the tarp to the top of the trailer, combine with an extendable ridge pole or two (which we have) and another couple of poles and the tarp is up. 5 minutes for the OzTent. Beds setup like these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmlxx3WotIY), 1 minute. Done. Beer time.

I think I could build the box easily enough (it's not rocket science) - it might take some time and fiddling about is all. It can live in the garage while it's being worked on.

I'm not a builder though, so I'm wondering what size timber to use for the frame? And what about something to clad it in (ply or something else)? Should I instead use steel for the frame? What size box tube?

Am I crazy? Should I just suck it up and buy a camper trailer?

I'm taking inspiration from photo's like the attached.

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback or advice much appreciated.

PS - Forgot to mention. This would also be a great project for me, if nothing else. I love the idea of building this. There are lots of other features I've been thinking of like water storage and sink, lights from the solar panels (well, from the battery, but you know what I mean). A bike rack for the rear. An attachable shower. So many thoughts... I think I'd have a lot of fun doing this (and no doubt some frustration as well). And it would be something a little bit different and something personal that I made myself.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:52:57 PM by Onion »
Trackabout owner.

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
Re: Camping (not camper) trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
Mate we have a tourer 9 plus canvas quick erect tent with side pole kit ..... Takes about 5 minutes to setup and there is enough room for 2 queen size air beds plus storage. Cheaper than a turbo tent ect and canvas.

http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwizhr_EgqzOAhWIkr0KHcw6BG4YABAO&ohost=www.google.com.au&cid=CAASIuRoeE2hEVZleq_0O224CM9cPFOm7shw48q-qC5zCzzLkVc&sig=AOD64_326vNazFvIv_qk4BtmNMXzg2tQ2Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwif-LzEgqzOAhWJnZQKHfbmD5oQwg8IHg&adurl=

yogi

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:28:25 PM »
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=42892.0
I've had 2 of these.. Outstanding value and easy as you can get.
I leant to a mate who packed it went and didn't tell me... it was black with mould a few mths later when I picked it up.

They are same as Yogi mentioned, with a sidepole kit they are 4 pegs, and 1 pole and your in ready to sleep. 1-2mins more and you have the sidepole kit in... brilliant setups.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 05:36:16 PM »
Google up 'bakkie camper canopy' or 'box' and you'll get plenty of ideas. The Saffas are all over building removable camping boxes.
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »
there is enough room for 2 queen size air beds plus storage.
I didn't realise they had that much room or were that quick to setup. Thanks for the tip!
Trackabout owner.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:43:13 PM »
We have camped with a Freedom family tourer for years http://www.freedomcamping.com.au/ft.html

The speed of erecting the tent is great but only a little of the time spent setting up.  Putting in the beds, bedding,clothes etc. takes much more time, then you need the kitchen and shelter.  Your concept would eliminate the kitchen but you would still need to do the rest.

A camper trailer would be much faster especially the rear fold and forward fold hard floor designs.  More $$$ though  :laugh:

Cheers
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:21:30 PM »
Camping Trailer Thoughts

Hi All,

So we're looking to get rid of our old and leaking tent and move to "something" else. Initially we were thinking camper trailer and the wife still is.

Am I crazy? Should I just suck it up and buy a camper trailer?

Mate, been down the exact same path, stuffed around with a 'camping trailer' idea, one that I could also use as a trailer for other uses etc...... and it was a lot of stuffing about and never really did fulfil the requirements.....

Finally bought a dedicated Camper Trailer back in 2012........ never looked back ..... oh and it was my good Mrs that eventually told me " for f*#ks sake, just buy a f*#king Camper Trailer"  or words to that effect :) ....... Made me realise that I'd been stuffing about too long. :cheers:
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
I've actually had 2 mates sell their campers and go back to tent camping.. the speed of setting up some soft floors is no quicker than setting up a tent and the garbo that goes with it.. thus why both have gone back, and its also cheaper..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 08:54:04 PM »
I've actually had 2 mates sell their campers and go back to tent camping.. the speed of setting up some soft floors is no quicker than setting up a tent and the garbo that goes with it.. thus why both have gone back, and its also cheaper..

Good for them!!..........  :cheers:  ;D

Myself on the other hand am totally not ready for the look of WTF are you thinking?? From the Mrs if ever I was to announce "hey, lets sell the CT and go back to tent trailer set up"....  ;D
After this camper there may be another one, maybe a hardfloor, and dare I say, and don't tell anyone, one day I might end up getting one of those canvas free wheeled devices, grow my hair to full grey and be a little more nomadic....... you know what I'm talking about, just can't bring myself yet to use the word.....  ;D

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 07:00:08 AM »
Good for them!!..........  :cheers:  ;D

Myself on the other hand am totally not ready for the look of WTF are you thinking?? From the Mrs if ever I was to announce "hey, lets sell the CT and go back to tent trailer set up"....  ;D
After this camper there may be another one, maybe a hardfloor, and dare I say, and don't tell anyone, one day I might end up getting one of those canvas free wheeled devices, grow my hair to full grey and be a little more nomadic....... you know what I'm talking about, just can't bring myself yet to use the word.....  ;D

I think i see another "Grey Nomad" evolving here.. ;D ;D

Here's a plate for the back of your new camper (caravan) Barrabart.  ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: Barrabart

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 07:06:41 AM »
Tent or camper trailer, it's not the canvas that takes the time, it's all the other stuff.
Bedding, cooking, fridge, tarps etc can take ages.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »

True, but there are campers that are really quick if that is your priority. Not sure about cheap as well though ???

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 07:14:48 AM »

So, they bought trailers that didn't suit their needs??
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Quote from: GeoffASo, they bought trailers that didn't suit their needs??
[/quote
One was Obriens and other a TruBlu.. both good trailers, but just the setup times, with awnings and Shit is no quicker than a tent. and a lot of money sitting in the driveway to use 2-3 times a year
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »
One was Obriens and other a TruBlu.. both good trailers, but just the setup times, with awnings and Shit is no quicker than a tent. and a lot of money sitting in the driveway to use 2-3 times a year

I didn't say they'd bought bad trailers, just that the trailers they bought didn't suit their needs.

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
I didn't say they'd bought bad trailers, just that the trailers they bought didn't suit their needs.

they bought what they could on their budgets... what else could they have bought?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »
Tent or camper trailer, it's not the canvas that takes the time, it's all the other stuff.
Bedding, cooking, fridge, tarps etc can take ages.

Hence the quick fold out beds (and we have sleeping bags), hence the kitchen in the side of the trailer (fold out door, done), hence the fridge on slide outs as part of the kitchen, hence the tarp attaching to the trailer. I estimate 20 minutes for a complete setup (might be slightly wishful thinking, but not by much).
Trackabout owner.

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
On another note, I always find setting up quite quick, ie we can pull up, set up and be sitting down relaxing in a bout 20 - 30 mins....
However after being in the one place for a couple or few days you seem to get gear all over the place, these pack ups usually drag out for hours....... mainly because I reckon, your enthusiasm for packing up and returning home is far less than arriving all keen and setting up.  :cheers:

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
I was using this as my camping trailer for a while. Served well but looking forward to the new camper Trailer  :D

Was going to convert to a full on camper with mattress etc but the Mrs said NO  :-[

Still use it to set the swag up in for those lazy weekends away with the boys.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 08:11:21 PM »
My Kanga trailer is what I would call a camping trailer - just mine had a low top on it rather than the high one yours had - the previous owner used it like that, and had an awning that slid into a bit of sail track that was mounted on the top so when it was up it offered some shelter, like the much more expensive 4WD awnings do :P

I'm lucky I could remove the top, so I have... it's now getting converted into a camper trailer.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 08:53:26 PM »
I like your thinking there Onion.
I'm about 2 years into a similar build to what you're looking at doing.

We are a family of 4 with 2 kids under 8yrs. We like remote bush camping and camper trailers don't suit our needs, we much prefer the flexibility of tent camping with a well set up utility trailer.

We have tried several styles of tent over the last 7 years or so, and settled on the canvas Black Wolf Turbo 300 as the best one for us.
We had the Turbo 240 Plus, but that extra little room on the back wasn't much use to us. When our 240 plus had a few minor issues to be fixed under warrantee we negotiated an exchange for the 300 and have never looked back.

My inspiration for my trailer was the 'overland' trailers built (mostly in the US) to drag up more challenging and technical tracks.
So about 2 years ago I built a custom trailer myself to get exactly what I wanted with strength and weight.

It has been a steady process of using the trailer and working out what we actually needed. Then fabbing up lots of little custom bits and pieces to work as I want them to.

I have a very similar concept for the tarp as (I think) you are looking at doing.
I'm just about to rip the top off my trailer and build a slightly taller top with a set of gull wing doors (sort of like Bullant's above, but not as high or wide).
The new top will incorporate a rack on top for the tent, tarps and folding chairs.

We've tried a few different sleeping setups over the years. Had a go with airbeds, self inflating mattresses (of varying value) and stretchers. I will totally agree that the bedding is pretty much the longest step in packing up. Choose purchases wisely in this area.

My number 1 tip is to take your time.
Try and do a trip with each little mod you do to make sure it suits you before you go too far down the wrong track, so to speak. ;)

And I guess you should expect the majority of comments on a camper trailer and caravan forum to try and persuade you that you 'need' a big heavy trailer with all the creature comforts. ;)

I say stick with your current line of thought and good luck with the build.

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »
Great thread.  I love these discussions.  We alternate between our bells and whistles camper trailer and our tent for our family of two adults and two kids under 12.  I've often thought about going for a utility trailer and our tent, because the tent is great and we just need a trailer to carry the everything else.  We can be self-sufficient in the car with the tent packed onto the roof racks if we need to go somewhere off the beaten track, but it involves packing every nook and cranny of the car.

About the biggest issue with the tent is that it's on the ground, so you can't just pull up anywhere and set it up.  You've gotta find some grass or sand to make it comfortable for sleeping. 
I wandered around the caravan, camping and outdoors show at Toowoomba today for hours looking at various campers, vans and hybrids.  I loved the hybrid vans, but the $70k price is waaay out of our league.  The neatest looking setups are the gear trailers with a rooftop tent on top.  But they doesn't give us anywhere for the kids off the ground, and SWMBO isn't keen on the girls sleeping in swags.

For now, we'll do nothing and continue to either tent it or use our soft floor camper depending on the trip, but I can't help but ponder the ultimate solution.
2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 09:52:01 PM »
There is no perfect setup. They are all a compromise in one or more areas.....size, weight, convenience, price, comfort, flexibility, set-up time etc.
It's up to each user to determine what combination of compromises best suits their needs and preferences.

We had a couple of different configurations before we went to a camper trailer. You'd probably find that most on here have done the same.
The camping trailer idea seems great in principle. The idea is not new. It's been tried by many, with varying degrees of success.
In practice they usually end up being similar in size and weight to a soft floor camper, but without the convenience of the tent and main bedding being in place.
In the end, they are just a variation on the same theme.

Onion, good luck working through your ideas. I hope you can arrive at something that suits your needs (your setup times seem a little optimistic, though).
Please keep us informed of your progress.

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »

Another point.....some just aren't very good at setting up their camper...... :P

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline mumbls

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 10:01:42 PM »
After much looking and umming n arring, I went along the same path. We found any camp trailer in our price point didn't have the space and capacity for us. We've been using our trailer for about 7 years and find it ideal for how we camp. My original brief was to carry enough gear and water to keep 5 females (now down to 3) sorted for a week to ten days. I also had to achieve this for a minimum cost. Total outlay to date is about 6 grand, not including camp gear. We love it. Cheap, strong and easy to mod/change. If you've any questions or queries fire away. Paul

Basic specs are: Telstra cruiser ute back on a full chassis (100x50x4 drawbar, 50x50x3 rest)
                        1750kg running gear, 5 stud hubs/wheels. 265/75R16 tyres, same track as the 105
                        Built in kitchen
                        300lt water, girls like showers ;D
                        2 fridges, both on gas
                        Colman HWOD wired to trailer, no batteries to go flat. Girls like showers  ;D
                        76ah battery (inc 40w solar panel) for lighting and Colman HWOD
                        Awning on kitchen side. 5 poles and a rope track on trailer, simple
                        Dry weight is 780kg and runs about 1400/1450kg loaded for 10 days in the NP. With 140kg ball weight.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:04:34 PM by mumbls »
There's room for all gods creatures - right next to the potatoes.