Author Topic: Remote Control Cars  (Read 106083 times)

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
Re: Remote Control Cars
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Don't tempt me!! :laugh:
Once you start it doesn't stop costing money!! >:D

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
A lot of people seem to be saying they break something everytime they go out with their rc car? I use only losi 8ight buggy and truggy both electric converted.  I have hardly broken a thing on them in years and they do get regular use.  They are not cheap but.  Biggest problem I have had is rear diff in truggy needed reshimming.  I have an losi lst xxl as well they break a little just tierods and arm or spindles if u hit something hard but for bashing around I cant recommend the 8ight truggy enough really hard to break.

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
A lot of people seem to be saying they break something everytime they go out with their rc car? I use only losi 8ight buggy and truggy both electric converted.  I have hardly broken a thing on them in years and they do get regular use.  They are not cheap but.  Biggest problem I have had is rear diff in truggy needed reshimming.  I have an losi lst xxl as well they break a little just tierods and arm or spindles if u hit something hard but for bashing around I cant recommend the 8ight truggy enough really hard to break.

My young bloke hasn't broken anything on his and it's had a fair amount of use. I've tried to drive the thing twice and broken it twice.   :-\

Shane.

With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »

It really depends where you're using the car.  If you have the luxury of using the car in a nice open space, like a bmx track or other type of track where you're unlucky to hit something then the likely hood of damage reduces significantly.  Unfortunately I often used mine in our street (it's still a fairly open area with no kerbs), but clipping a car tyre or losing control and smashing into a fence or tree at 50km/hr usually guaranteed some type of damage. 

My son has a Losi mini 8 with a lipo, my brother a Tamiya and my mate a HPI racing...... no matter what brand they all seem to suffer lots of breakages if used what they are meant for and require a lot of maintenance to keep them running A1.   

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
Of you can go to an open area and just be plain unlucky.

I went to the school oval down the road one day. Large open oval, hill at one end. And took a front wheel and suspension off on a football goal posts.

This was after the wife said "you better not come back with it broken!"

Oops!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
For me, less noise and less mucking around with fuel.  With the 12V charger we have power anywhere and I don't have to go to a shop to buy it.

KB
Hey there unless u are really into nitro and know what ur doing it is hard work to keep them in tune and they stall burn glow plugs etc can be hard to start. Brushless how ever u charge the battery and basically know the car will run. Also feul has oil in it gets spilt and everything gets sticky dirt sticks to it cant use them inside. Thats my reasons they do go faster too.

I'm a sparky and I like electric things :)

with the technology now in new brushless motors and Lipo batteries the run times are getting better, to give you an idea my two rock crawlers have a run time of about 45min to 1 hour, on a 2200mh lipo ( One of them wheighs  10.4 kg ). I used to race the petrol/ nitro on road cars, and every time we used to race you would spend 30min just getting it to run for the conditions on the day.

I found with my nitro car that I spent half the time just trying to tune the thing.  There was rarely a time where you could just grab it off the shelf, fire it up and play with it as mine always required lots of stuffing around to get it running right.  It was fun at first and all part of the experience, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.  My nitro car was also pretty loud, so whenever I used it in the street plenty of people came out to see what the racket was and I'm assuming from their facial expressions not all appreciated the sound of a nitro car as much as I did!

If I ever decide to go back to RC cars it will be electric for sure mainly because of the simplicity of the "plug and play" appeal.

Thanks, for your comments. Seems convienience and reliability is the winner. I always said I should have stayed at school and become a sparky.

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
Thanks, for your comments. Seems convienience and reliability is the winner. I always said I should have stayed at school and become a sparky.

Shane.

Nah mate............The lobotomy hurts!!!
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
It really depends where you're using the car.  If you have the luxury of using the car in a nice open space, like a bmx track or other type of track where you're unlucky to hit something then the likely hood of damage reduces significantly.  Unfortunately I often used mine in our street (it's still a fairly open area with no kerbs), but clipping a car tyre or losing control and smashing into a fence or tree at 50km/hr usually guaranteed some type of damage. 

My son has a Losi mini 8 with a lipo, my brother a Tamiya and my mate a HPI racing...... no matter what brand they all seem to suffer lots of breakages if used what they are meant for and require a lot of maintenance to keep them running A1.

I have a mini 8ight also the weak point on them in the shock caps and standard servo otherwise a great a little buggy and very fast on 3s lipo.  In saying the shock caps are a weak point I am yet to break one.  I really do disagree that they seem to suffer a lot of breakages maybe other people just hit the wrong thing.

This is a video of the lst xxl that I have an electric one of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Odp5FNrkpk the 8ight truggy I was talking about is stronger again.  I have had mine for about 5 years and have not broken it at all.  My brother in law has one also the only thing he has ever broken is the rear gearbox case which broke doing a rc show at compass cup here in Adelaide had a big ramp setup doing backflips etc landed on spoiler which is mounted to gearbox case.  $14 was fixed again.  As to maintenance what are you talking about inparticular?  Of course hitting a tree or park bench is bad but maybe I am just lucky

As long as the bearing are still good and diffs still have oil etc there isn't really much to do.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:36:41 PM by gnatsum69 »

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »
Thanks Renno.  Can get 4 caps for $12 so will give them a go first.

KB

How did you go with the shock caps?

I have a spare set here that I purchased from the states online if you have any trouble.

Cheers
Glenn

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

KingBilly

« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
Thanks Glenn  :cheers:  Been a bit slack and need to check to make sure I don't need anything else whilst I'm ordering.  I'll let you know if I strike any probs.

KB

Offline kiwipride

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »
Damn you guy! :) Purchased a Summit on the weekend. Awesome fun!

Although today the sheering servo is making a grinding noise. Rippit (hobby store, Gold Coast) said just bring it back. ....I'll see how we go.
My plan is to live forever......so far, so good!

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
My young bloke hasn't broken anything on his and it's had a fair amount of use. I've tried to drive the thing twice and broken it twice.   :-\

Shane.

3 from 3 now  >:(

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
I need to modify the chassis on the one that I bought the boy. I am struggling to find a battery that fits in the available space, also not convinced 1100mAH is going to give him decent run time. I have found some 4800mAH ones that I think I can make fit for him :)

Just need to get it done before his birthday on Friday
Cheers, Craig

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »
 :worthles:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Red Dog 4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »
I need to modify the chassis on the one that I bought the boy. I am struggling to find a battery that fits in the available space, also not convinced 1100mAH is going to give him decent run time. I have found some 4800mAH ones that I think I can make fit for him :)

Just need to get it done before his birthday on Friday

What kit did you get again? I know with all my SCX10's I ran up to 5000mh Lipo's in them gets about 45min to 1 hour depending on the motor, the higher the number of turns more torque & longer run times, but it becomes slower

The Rig- 97 GQ Coil Cab with lots of goodies
The Trailer- 2002 Castaway camper with lots of mods....
Quad Build -http://cfmoto-forum.com/cforce-500-h-o/cforce-550ho-from-australia/

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
What kit did you get again? I know with all my SCX10's I ran up to 5000mh Lipo's in them gets about 45min to 1 hour depending on the motor, the higher the number of turns more torque & longer run times, but it becomes slower

The SCX10 I have 5000mAH lipos so it is not the concern.

We bought a cheapie for the boy to see if he is interested before spending decent coin, it is still running NiMH batteries. It is not one that I would worry about changing over to lipos. If we get that far down the track, I will buy him a new unit
Cheers, Craig

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »
:worthles:

I will get the pics when I try the mods this arvo :)
Cheers, Craig

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
So for you people who use LiPo batteries, what charging device are you using. I am building a quadcopter and have almost everything I need except for a charger. I am using Turnigy Nano tech 5000mah.
I would like a 240v/12v if possible so it gives me the best of both worlds.
Is is better to get a multi charger that will charge 4 batteries at once or a single charger or 2,3,4
I see the Imax copies on the bay for around $40 del.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
So for you people who use LiPo batteries, what charging device are you using. I am building a quadcopter and have almost everything I need except for a charger. I am using Turnigy Nano tech 5000mah.
Is is better to get a multi charger that will charge 4 batteries at once or a single charger or 2,3,4
Regards
Crispy

are the lipos you have or gonna get 2s 3s 4s etc?  will the quad copter run one or two batts? the imax copies you are talking about are only 50w circuit power.  volts x amps = watts meaning if you have a 4s battery the end charge will be 16.8 so 16.8 x 2.9 amp = about 50w (being the circuit power of the charger) all this means if that no matter how many amps you set the charge rate to it will only goto about 2.9 amp hope that makes sense.  It doesn't matter at all will just take longer to charge the battery.  if you were charging a 5s or 6s it would be even slower.  I believe most of the nanotech batts can be charged at 5c meaning 5x capacity so if you have 5000mah means you can charge it at 25 amp.  Need to spend big money to get a charger to do this and will always be 12v only when you get to the high end units.

this is not cheap but it is one of the only high power 240v chargers it has a 200w circuit power.

Offline sierrajim

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
I've got a brand new axial scx JK for sale if anyone wants one.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2013, 05:45:45 AM »
I've got a brand new axial scx JK for sale if anyone wants one.

In the immortal words of Rodney Rude 'how much?'

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline sierrajim

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »
$400 brand new ready to run

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2013, 07:47:57 AM »

$400 brand new ready to run
hmmm must resist

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2013, 07:52:30 AM »
Regards
Crispy

This is the unit I bought of Mild to Wild RC

http://www.mildtowildrc.com.au/chargers/chargers/thunder-power-tp610c-ac-dc-charger.html

Does LiPO, Nicad, NiMH, LiFE and lead acid. Charges at up to 10A but I am doing it at 1C at the moment. Does do both 240V and 12V which was key for what I was looking for. Have only done 4 batteries with it so far, but they are all charged
Cheers, Craig

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »
I am thinking of swapping the 27MHz system in my Stampede to 2.4GHz via a Spektrum DX2 kit. How hard is this to do myself?
http://www.mildtowildrc.com.au/radios/land/spektrum/spektrum-dx2e-2-ch-dsm-radio-receiver.html

Work - Outback
Play - Prado