Author Topic: Home Solar ROI  (Read 16437 times)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
Re: Home Solar ROI
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2020, 10:30:59 AM »
2028, unless they change the rules in the meantime ??? :'(

I thought 2022 or 2023. Good luck to those that got in early, although system prices have dropped a lot too....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2020, 10:36:06 AM »
I thought 2022 or 2023. Good luck to those that got in early, although system prices have dropped a lot too....

No 1/7/28 for Qld

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/energy-water-home/solar/feed-in-tariffs/solar-bonus-scheme-44c

& to keep the full (44c) FiT

ensure you replace any component with a like-for-like part

replace your inverter with one of the same, or smaller size (although you'd be nuts if you did!)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Just looked it up. The Premium FIT in VIC is 60c, until 2024.
It doesn't say when in 2024, so I'd expect it cuts out 31/12/2023.

Same rules apply WRT mods to the system...

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2020, 10:50:47 AM »
Its a bit of a rubbery maths equation and the answer will vary depending on your feed in rate, daily consumption, daily production, time difference between production and consumption, and your billing tariff.

In our case, we installed a 5kw system that cost $10,300 around 8 to 10 years ago (cant remember exactly when?). At the time our average bill was $800 to $1000 a quarter. We were luck and locked in the 55c feed in tariff, and our buy price is 23c. Our daily production is around 25kw, depending on the whether and time of year. We are hi consumption users as we have 5 fridges, 2 water pumps (house tank & shed tank), an enviro HSTP which runs an air pump 24/7 and sulage pump on float valve, a pond with 2 constant supply water pumps and UV filters, heated spa on a timer, and we're lazy and leave everything on standby.

For us, the system was paid for from consumption savings and feed in rebates after roughly 7 years according to the meter on the inverter. We still get a bill every quarter, but in summer its about $70 to $100, and in winter it goes up to around $200. We could most likely reduce the bill if we better managed when we used our energy so we used more at night and less during the day so we fed more back at the higher rate, and once the feed in tariff reverts to the standard 8c I'll probably put a concerted effort into it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:56:53 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
Quote from: GeoffA
Waz says

original $$ ends 23/24 ...
it was 66c, now about 80c per kwh feed in
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
Waz says

original $$ ends 23/24 ...
it was 66c, now about 80c per kwh feed in

https://www.energy.vic.gov.au/renewable-energy/victorian-feed-in-tariff/premium-feed-in-tariff

60c + gst = 66c

No mention of 80c. Special deal maybe??
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »
Our landlord (we rent) pushed the boat out and has put 1.5kW (6 panels @250W each) of panels on the roof. Despite an electricity price rise in the interim we have found that our power bills are on average $120 / month less than what they used to be. The FIT of about 12.5 c/kWh while being helpful, doesn't amount to much - about $8/month. The daytime savings of about 32c/kWh does amount to a fair bit though.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
No 1/7/28 for Qld

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/energy-water-home/solar/feed-in-tariffs/solar-bonus-scheme-44c

& to keep the full (44c) FiT

ensure you replace any component with a like-for-like part

replace your inverter with one of the same, or smaller size (although you'd be nuts if you did!)

My understand also. We are on the 44c tariff also. I am guessing in about 8 years going to batteries is going to look like a viable option for us with one or both kids gone (maybe????) and the tariff changeover. At present we would need 2 x battery modules to keep up and the payback isn't there.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »
Quote from: GBC
My understand also. We are on the 44c tariff also. I am guessing in about 8 years going to batteries is going to look like a viable option for us with one or both kids gone (maybe????) and the tariff changeover. At present we would need 2 x battery modules to keep up and the payback isn't there.

and in 8 yrs the tech on batteries will be amazing and they will be so much cheaper. but would you need as much battery without the kids - which also makes it worlds cheaper.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »
I am guessing in about 8 years going to batteries is going to look like a viable option for us with one or both kids gone (maybe????) and the tariff changeover.

That's much my thoughts.

We've got 5.2 of panels feeding 2 inverters of 4.8 total, that produce ~low 20 kWh per day, of which we use ~7, export ~15, while also buying ~7 - virtually all of which is overnight, but if we run aircon, that goes up to 8-10.

So, when the 44c runs out, I'll probably put another 5kW on the roof, together with a battery, which, as Bird says, should be much cheaper & betterer all round than now! ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline BC66

• Tent User
Home Solar ROI
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2020, 09:28:38 PM »
He's not the only one! 8)

My understanding is that if something dies, & we replace it with the same level of equipment, then the full FiT continues ??? At least, that's in Qld - may be different elsewhere ???

You're welcome 8) :-*
Problem is you can’t buy the same level equipment now.
We had a heap of old inverters and installers snapped them up to keep
People on the same rates of there was a failure. Finding old compatible parts is hard and those rates have an expiry date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:30:22 PM by BC66 »

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »
They were saying if your not home during the day when the most power is available - wasnt worth it - unless you have batteries.. they charge up during day, you use morning/night from batteries

That's only partially right, it is about moving the majority of your loads to the middle of the day to make the best use of the solar.  If you have electric hot water take it off Tariff 33 and put it on a timer to come on at about 10am in the morning.  Same with things like pool pumps, washing machines, dishwashers, etc.  I have a server rack that has my backup NAS in it - I've set it up to turn on at 11am, run the backups, and then turn off rather than have it run all the time.  Anything being run in the middle of the day isn't costing me anything.

My wife and I aren't home during the day but with the solar and by moving our loads around our power bills went from $500 a quarter to less than $50.

6.6kW of panels on a 5kW inverter, cost $7k 2 years ago and it should have paid for itself in about 2 years.

If I was going to do it again I would have went for a larger array (panels are cheap) and for about a 7kW inverter that is export limited to 5kW.  This way you can power your big loads for free and still get some feed in return.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:43:15 AM by Symon »
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2020, 09:41:01 AM »
At the time of install the numbers indicted an ROI of just over three years, six months in and its on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2020, 06:50:27 AM »
..... If you have electric hot water take it off Tariff 33 and put it on a timer to come on at about 10am in the morning......

Hi Symon,

I've looked into this a couple of times and, for us, I'm not convinced....

Our off-peak hot water tariff is 18c/kWh. After pay-on-time discounts it ends up around 12c/kWh....about the same as the FIT. If we were to move the reheat time to between 10am-4pm, there'd be good sunny days where the solar would do the job (ie costing us the 12c/kWh that would have gone to the grid), and cloudy days where we'd pay the peak rate on any additional power drawn from the grid (ie 22c/kwh after pay-on-time discounts).

The property in question has a 6.6kW system with a 5kW Fronius inverter. This is in Melbourne, so there will be some difference in the solar yield.

If I was going to do it again I would have went for a larger array (panels are cheap) and for about a 7kW inverter that is export limited to 5kW.....

That ^ would help, but not sure that it would be cost effective in our situation.

I've decided we'll leave the hot water reheat time where it is to lock in the off-peak tarriff, but I'm happy to be enlightened if I've missed anything....

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:49:53 AM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »
Hi Symon,

Our off-peak hot water tariff is 17c/kWh. After pay-on-time discounts it ends up around 12c/kWh....about the same as the FIT. If we were to move the reheat time to between 10am-4pm, there'd be good sunny days where the solar would do the job (ie costing us the 12c/kWh that would have gone to the grid), and cloudy days where we'd pay the peak rate on any additional power drawn from the grid (ie 22c/kwh after pay-on-time discounts).

I've decided we'll leave the hot water reheat time where it is to lock in the off-peak tarriff, but I'm happy to be enlightened if I've missed anything....

One the savings you have not taken into account is the $90 charge per quarter. (approximately $1/day I believe is the going rate) to have that tariff on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »
One the savings you have not taken into account is the $90 charge per quarter. (approximately $1/day I believe is the going rate) to have that tariff on

Thanks. Will look into it.

Just checked. No such charge on the statement (VIC).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:04:12 AM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »
Hi Symon,

Our off-peak hot water tariff is 18c/kWh. After pay-on-time discounts it ends up around 12c/kWh....about the same as the FIT. If we were to move the reheat time to between 10am-4pm, there'd be good sunny days where the solar would do the job (ie costing us the 12c/kWh that would have gone to the grid), and cloudy days where we'd pay the peak rate on any additional power drawn from the grid (ie 22c/kwh after pay-on-time discounts).

The property in question has a 6.6kW system with a 5kW Fronius inverter. This is in Melbourne, so there will be some difference in the solar yield.

That ^ would help, but not sure that it would be cost effective in our situation.

Yep, you need to run the numbers based on your situation.  I just have an issue with the advice of 'if you aren't home during the day it isn't worth it' as that isn't the same for everyone, and I would argue it isn't the same for the majority either.

There are a lot of variables, size of the system, orientation of the panels, your usage patterns, the FIT, the supply charges, etc.  You need to take that all into account and work it out for yourself.

Kirsty and I are hardly ever at home during the day, and our system has been totally worth it.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2020, 05:26:32 PM »
Yep, you need to run the numbers based on your situation.  I just have an issue with the advice of 'if you aren't home during the day it isn't worth it' as that isn't the same for everyone, and I would argue it isn't the same for the majority either.

I agree. In my experience, anything on full tariff should be timed to run when solar can help, but it's not so clear-cut if an off-peak tariff is involved.

Our own residence has 28+kw of panels on the roof, through 2 x Fronius 3 phase inverters. ("If 1 inverter is good...." ;D)
It's been in for just under 12 months, so I'm not yet sure to what extent our bills will be covered.
It completely covers all of our electricity and gas bills, with some left over for others.

Kay and I are not usually at home during the day either, but it has also most definitely been worth it.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:46:13 PM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2020, 06:44:36 PM »
Export limited to 10kW?

I hope you got a Fronius smart meter with that, if you did can you send me the link?

Here's mine - https://www.solarweb.com/Home/GuestLogOn?pvSystemid=fe8580e0-0d4e-4cba-8286-315fd87241d8

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2020, 06:59:57 PM »
Export limited to 10kW?

I hope you got a Fronius smart meter with that, if you did can you send me the link?

Here's mine - https://www.solarweb.com/Home/GuestLogOn?pvSystemid=fe8580e0-0d4e-4cba-8286-315fd87241d8

Export limited to 30kW ;D..(3 phase)

Sure did.

Link sent via PM

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:02:27 PM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:50 PM »

There are a lot of variables, size of the system, orientation of the panels, your usage patterns, the FIT, the supply charges, etc.  You need to take that all into account and work it out for yourself.

Kirsty and I are hardly ever at home during the day, and our system has been totally worth it.

Can someone experienced with solar installs offer advice on the efficiency of eastern facing panels. Our house faces west and the house is wider than it is deep so we really only have east or west aspects to install the panels on and I am not keen to put them on the front of the house, especially being a red coloured roof tile.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2020, 08:28:44 PM »
Can someone experienced with solar installs offer advice on the efficiency of eastern facing panels. Our house faces west and the house is wider than it is deep so we really only have east or west aspects to install the panels on and I am not keen to put them on the front of the house, especially being a red coloured roof tile.

As I understand it, north facing is the best, west is next best you get afternoon power, east is next best you get morning power, south don't bother. We're planning on west facing panels as our house faces north and the wife said no to panels on the street facing roof.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
Any panels are better than none. I have combo east/north but because Qld doesn’t have daylight savings it works out ok with all that extra morning sunshine ;)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »
As I understand it, north facing is the best, west is next best you get afternoon power, east is next best you get morning power, south don't bother. We're planning on west facing panels as our house faces north and the wife said no to panels on the street facing roof.

Check out for shading duration  from any nearby trees before deciding.  Any partial shading of any individual or all panels for any length  of time will hit panel output for 6. 

Our panels face the street facing North, no trees in any line of sight at any time of the day.\.   We bought the house because of its aspect and intent to install solar.   If it comes down to not putting them in the optimal position and thence maximising output due to "aesthetics" then with respect I think down the track you may regret the install.

This site has some good info and a solar guide can be downloaded.

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/lp/goodsolarguide/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtLT1BRD9ARIsAMH3BtVw2yxTUNPMG78zhQYph-ODcl-C9gywXr2sOzWM45oAbaptzz8-gQgaAgQCEALw_wcB

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/solar101.html

Im a bit anal about looks, I think the installer did a good job in aligning things......
A native ground cover garden is in the planning stage - I hate mowing....

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:05:42 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »
We used solar quotes to find local installers. There site is really good. Ended up going for a large system in January and so far happy . In NSW can get 21cent feed back tariff which isn’t too bad
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim