Author Topic: Tools - Brands.. whats good whats not  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Tools - Brands.. whats good whats not
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »

Thanks for clarifying.  When everything got rebranded, I assumed it was a buyout.

Sadly quality of the Irwin branded vice grips, quick grips and Marples is massive.  The stuff I've bought in the last 15 years is not a patch on the stuff I got during my apprenticeship in the 90's.  Worst were the Irwin blue chip chisels.  They loose their edge or chip in seconds flat, compared to the Sheffield made Record Marples blue chips.

That's what happens when a huge corporation with numerous divisions seeks cost savings via material costs and reduction in material suppliers. One of the reasons  the move from UK to China was because the old plant in Sheffield had suffered under no capital expenditure for modernisation, when the crunch came it was just cost prohibitive.

We will see Branded products move back to original manufacturing locations at some stage as wages costs etc continue to rise in Asian countries, this with shipping costs, excise, import tariffs etc will eventually even up the playing field. Not saying overnight, but it will happen and has already happened in some instances.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »
Been very happy with repco branded tools, lifetime warranty had an issue with a damaged screwdriver that if had about 10 years, walked in to repco store they looked at it and just gave me a brand new set
No receipt needed
Swannie
A new set for a single damaged tool?  I knew their warranty was great, but that's awesome!!

I snapped a Repco breaker bar a couple of years ago on a set that's about 26 years old, and handed over the same part, no questions asked....

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:05:20 PM by DrewXT »
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 11:20:21 PM »
I still have my Record Marples Blue chisels, set of six. I've always kept them in a leather chisel roll and they get used constantly, must be nearly 25 yrs old!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 08:48:25 AM »
Having read all the comments about old stuff being much better quality than new gear, it strikes me that the best thing to do if you want tools, may well be to trawl through Gumtree & similar to find people who are getting rid of Dad's / Grandad's old tools after he's died!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 09:04:16 AM »
Seeing people mention rebranded Sidchrome tools at Repco reminds me of the first set of ring/open end spanners I bought. Bought them from McEwans (pre the Bunnings takeover) in the early 1980's. They have McEwans forged into the handles and I believe they were made by Sidchrome.  I've used them a fair bit over the years and they are still in perfect condition.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
Having read all the comments about old stuff being much better quality than new gear, it strikes me that the best thing to do if you want tools, may well be to trawl through Gumtree & similar to find people who are getting rid of Dad's / Grandad's old tools after he's died!
Absolutely for carpentry gear. It is common knowledge that handsaws like old Henry Disstons will not be replicated again. Same goes for planer knives and chisels etc - the old steel is invariably the best.

Anyone recommending Hilti would do well to give their green line set out lasers a swerve. When setting out grades they sag over a few hours. Not fun starting a ceiling right and having it turn into a curve over the course of a day.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:55 PM »
Farm sales are off the planet awesome for finding old tools.. clearance sales, deceased estates.. but you always come away with more than you planned.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home