Author Topic: Buyer gets refund on overweight caravan  (Read 4581 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Buyer gets refund on overweight caravan
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:13:57 AM »
This is an interesting case, which may not be all that uncommon.

A buyer was sold a brand new caravan with a tare weight of 2,700kg stamped on the compliance plate which was supported by a weighbridge document. After a couple of trips with unstable towing at over 80kph he emptied it out, drained the tanks and weighed it on a public weighbridge at 3,560kg.

On the 6th April 2020 the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal ruled that Roma Caravans refund the buyer the full purchase price of $83,000 plus $9,300 in interest and awarded costs to be determined.

http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/vic/VCAT/2020/418.html

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Buyer gets refund on overweight caravan
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:20 AM »
This is an interesting case, which may not be all that uncommon.

A buyer was sold a brand new caravan with a tare weight of 2,700kg stamped on the compliance plate which was supported by a weighbridge document. After a couple of trips with unstable towing at over 80kph he emptied it out, drained the tanks and weighed it on a public weighbridge at 3,560kg.

On the 6th April 2020 the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal ruled that Roma Caravans refund the buyer the full purchase price of $83,000 plus $9,300 in interest and awarded costs to be determined.

http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/vic/VCAT/2020/418.html

Keith

Interesting read.  There are hundreds of vans out on the road that would also be well overweight from what is stated on the VIN plate.   Hopefully people will do their homework and get everything in writing and every weight checked before money changes hands at the handover. 
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:11 AM »
which was supported by a weighbridge document.

That's the really scary bit! :o
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline israel.mcgregor

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
I know someone who bought a 5th wheeler from WA.  Had it transported all the way back to NSW. 

Needed to get a weighbridge ticket in NSW to complete the state change and found it to be 4.7t, even though the registered weighbridge ticket was 4.1T

4.7 makes it HV.  He doesn't have a vehicle capable of that.

Private sale....probably no chance of recourse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Lobster

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:19 AM »
 :cheers: Nice read.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
One of the first things that I did after buying my new Star Vision PX1 Hybrid camper was to tow it down to my workplace and put it over the weigh bridge . Came in at 20 kgs over stated weight  , but when phoning Starvision , they did their weight without batteries , so all in all I was happy with what weight it came in at .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »
On the original case with Roma Caravans in Victoria, it looks like the weighbridge ticket provided at the time of purchase was way out of date. In fact it looks like it was done before any accessories were fitted to the van.

These accessories seemed to include and extra spare wheel, a slide-out, and a grey water tank plus God knows what else. I think the lesson here is to make sure the weighbridge ticket is dated no more than a few days before delivery.

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »
We just picked up our new Jayco with as many options fitted at factory as possible so it wouldn't affected the 600kg payload up grade we purchased. Jayco missed installing the second spare wheel and are sending the parts to the dealer. Now I have asked for a new Compliance plate as we did pay extra for the 600kg payload and don't want the extra weight of the 2nd spare to impact it. Just waiting for a reply from Jayco now.
Cheers
Brett

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »
860kg error....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
Rather than a weighbridge error, it sounded to me like they have a bunch of weighbridge certificates for the bare bones poverty pack base model van and just date them as required.

You're probably looking at around 150kg for a pair of tyres and a mount. An empty grey water tank would be lucky to be 30kg and bugger all for a sat dish. It hardly accounts for the 660kg discrepancy.
The slide out section, being such a significant addition, should have been included in the weigh-in, in stead of trying to count it as an 'accessory'.

Interestingly, their brochure makes no mention of vehicle weight anywhere, even when looking at a van with the lot.

Their FAQ page, under the heading Weights .... CONTENT TO COME SOON
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:52:51 PM by Hoyks »

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
We just picked up our new Jayco with as many options fitted at factory as possible so it wouldn't affected the 600kg payload up grade we purchased. Jayco missed installing the second spare wheel and are sending the parts to the dealer. Now I have asked for a new Compliance plate as we did pay extra for the 600kg payload and don't want the extra weight of the 2nd spare to impact it. Just waiting for a reply from Jayco now.

We’ve had two jaycos replated after the delivery Brett so they should play ball
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »
Make it mandatory to have caravans/campers/trailers weighed on the day of pickup, with owner present. Allow a 2% variance to compliance plate, will sort all the weight issues out 100%, I'm sure there will be exactly 0 buyers who would be opposed to this even if it was at their cost. Just add it to the first registration cost.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 07:34:43 AM »
Make it mandatory to have caravans/campers/trailers weighed on the day of pickup, with owner present. Allow a 2% variance to compliance plate, will sort all the weight issues out 100%, I'm sure there will be exactly 0 buyers who would be opposed to this even if it was at their cost. Just add it to the first registration cost.

I,ve always maintained this should be part of the sales contract.  If the van is out of specs...refund deposit and no sale..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 07:46:03 AM »
On the original case with Roma Caravans in Victoria, it looks like the weighbridge ticket provided at the time of purchase was way out of date. In fact it looks like it was done before any accessories were fitted to the van.

These accessories seemed to include and extra spare wheel, a slide-out, and a grey water tank plus God knows what else. I think the lesson here is to make sure the weighbridge ticket is dated no more than a few days before delivery.

Keith
Keith B (not out of date)

What I find scary, and I thought it would have been mentioned in the court judgement, is that the weigh-bridge certificate was dated the same day as when the buyer took possession of the caravan.

To me this says that the weigh-bridge operator has conspired with the caravan maker to provide a false weigh-bridge certificate (no proof, just my opinion from what what I have read).

(This is an extract from the Court Judgement)
The applicant collected the caravan on or about 5 September 2018 from the respondent’s manufacturing premises at 17 Randor Street Campbellfield. He was given the respondent’s weighbridge document dated 5 September 2018 which stated Tare Mass 2700 kg and Payload 800 kg.

If I ever buy a caravan after reading this, I will be demanding that I be present when the final weigh is done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 08:21:02 AM »
Well spotted. I missed that very important point.
Maybe it was a different caravan that was weighed.
Keith

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »
Make it mandatory to have caravans/campers/trailers weighed on the day of pickup, with owner present.

& that weighing should be done wet eg batteries & full gas bottles mounted, water tanks (including grey water) full, a nominal "100 kg" weight on board for food, drinks, clothing etc, so that it shows the true weight as it would be used, not as it's sitting on the showroom floor >:(

What I find scary, and I thought it would have been mentioned in the court judgement, is that the weigh-bridge certificate was dated the same day as when the buyer took possession of the caravan.

To me this says that the weigh-bridge operator has conspired with the caravan maker to provide a false weigh-bridge certificate (no proof, just my opinion from what what I have read).

So how have they been able to bodgie the weight, or as Keith suggests, was the tag for a different van ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
Could you make this part of your own contract ?? When ordering, say that you will pick it up from the weighbridge as the proper full unit, batteries, etc not from their yard..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 10:42:13 AM »
Could you make this part of your own contract ?? When ordering, say that you will pick it up from the weighbridge as the proper full unit, batteries, etc not from their yard..

That would stop any dodginess about the documentation but what would a buyer do when he finds out at delivery his van can’t  be legally towed because it’s overweight ?
Refuse to take it? Ask for money back?
More legal stoushes ahead.
And not every buyer has the resources, financial and otherwise, to take a manufacturer or dealer to court.
It’s a can of worms.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 11:17:45 AM »
Quote from: rossm
That would stop any dodginess about the documentation but what would a buyer do when he finds out at delivery his van can’t  be legally towed because it’s overweight ?
Refuse to take it? Ask for money back? It’s a can of worms.

I dont think there would be any issue - but Im not a legal persons used undies....

Wouldnt it be as simple as they sold me a van at 2500, this one is 3000... call me when you have my van at 2500.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »
Refuse to take it? Ask for money back?
More legal stoushes ahead.
And not every buyer has the resources, financial and otherwise, to take a manufacturer or dealer to court.
It’s a can of worms.

10% deposit to be put into a trust. Balance due upon meeting at weighbridge and all weights as stipulated. Balance paid and keys handed over. . If no weighbridge then a mobile caravan weights guy to be met on site..

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »
When we picked up ours, I removed the gas bottles [empty] and the Trail-a-Mate jack.... Van came in 30kgs under the TARE.... Happy camper!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2020, 02:20:21 PM »
Better not show this to the Mrs - she might want a refund on an overweight husband  ;D ;D ;D
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »
Better not show this to the Mrs - she might want a refund on an overweight husband  ;D ;D ;D

She could try, but he probably wasn't over weight when she bought him..... :P
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....