Author Topic: 12 months touring - How much fridge space?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
12 months touring - How much fridge space?
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
Hi All

As per my intro post we are touring Australia for 12 mths starting Jan '14. We are are family of 4 and currently have a 47L ARB fridge /or Freezer.

I'm seeking opinions from anyone that has toured for an extended period of time in regards to how much fridge space they feel we might need.
I don't think the 47L will be enough and am considering a 60 or 70L fridge+freezer (like an Evakool) in addition.

This will provide around 30L of freezer and 75L of fridge. Is this overkill, not enough, or just right.
I know everyone will have their own opinions and experiences, let's here them...

Thanks in advance

Trev

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 12 months touring - How much fridge space?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »
What are you expecting to store in the freezer and how long do you think the longest period between re-stock is. Reason I ask is have you considered getting your meat vacuum sealed by the butcher. This will basically double the use by date of your meat (especially red meat).
A good outcome from this is you will use less power if running a fridge v's a freezer. Two fridges are a good thing for extended touring as you are splitting your risk if a fridge fails.

If you want ice cream and frozen veggies then that is another matter.

A lot different to you but we toured for two weeks 2 x adults + 2 x kids under 8 with a ARB 47L without a re-supply but we had approx. 4 dinners in pubs. My kids don't drink soft drink and with the wife and I drinking soft and hard beverages we kept approx. 5 of each in the fridge and as you take a cold one out you put a warm one in. Same with milk in 1L long life cartons, keep two in the fridge and as you empty one put another in.

We recently used the same principle for a 4 week trip but had a 47L + a 60L but took a months worth of meat. and more treats.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
how often will you be near town to resupply, or is it all remote travel?
depends what sort of touring your doing
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
We used an 80 litre waeco for 2 of us for a 5 month trip
However we would buy enough meat to cyrovac and get us through 2 months at a time. The car fridge was mainly used for a meat and beer safe.

The fridge in the camper held the condiments veggies salad etc
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
Good points all, thanks for taking the time.

We've done similar trips to MDS (learnt\'t heaps from your trip reports) and have used either our 47L or a 70L in a hired KK.
Having a reasonable thirst I've got the fridge packing down pat, BUT we do have to move things around a bit.

Being our home away from home, and needing to work to a budget, a freezer is appealing for all the reasons MDS stated.

Without having an itinerary yet I'm working on needing to be self sufficient for 10 days water/ 20 days medium size town? So need a freezer in theory.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »
if youre anything like me, the amount you drink dictates the amount of fridge space you need, along with batteries, solar panels, money... etc... etc... ive got a 60l Evakool for drinks, soon to be CR110 for the Mrs food.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »
For 10 weeks last year we had a 60L fridge and a 40L freezer.  Worked very well, we had the meat vacuum packed in the freezer, and just got it out as needed.  Meant we could stock up a couple of times for the whole trip when we had access to decent shopping.  For beer etc. we just chucked in enough for the evening each morning and replaced as we went.  Plenty of room in fridge not having to worry about more than a days meat etc.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
12 months touring - How much fridge space?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »
So my 250lt internal and 80lt external is way to much....

In saying that I think it depends on how much the you have away from shops. I want to be setup with 2 weeks away from shops as a minimum.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:37:04 PM »
I've survived touring around with a 50L waeco (family of 4 with 2 young girls at the time).  We thought a freezer would be nice so bought a small 11L one but I've found it a bit of a nuisance to be honest - uses power, needs to be stored somewhere etc.  Any sort of freezer and you double the power requirements basically. 
I still wouldn't mind a combo type (eg. 50L fridge+20L freezer in one unit) if I had the power side sorted.
I reckon 60L fridge would be the minimum for long-term touring.  You don't *need* to have refrigerated food when you are away from towns for a week or more (how often will that happen?) - there's always tinned/dry stuff to get you by for a couple of days.   But everyone has their own opinion about how critical their fridge space is...

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:06 PM »
yep as mentioned by most others, how far between shops/restocks?

I've done two weeks/two people from a 40-litre fridge on a couple of treks... and run out in five days by myself on others :)

Do you have the opportunity for a 'practice' trek of (for instance) one week? This will help transform guesstimations into estimations and also help you with other aspects of your preparation, such as equipment needs and packing/storage regimes

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:12:13 PM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
Thanks for your feedback.

As it happened we bought a 'floor stock' Eva-Kool 60L Dual  Zone today for a great price at the BNE show today.
I think that with the 47L will be the best solution for us.

Trev

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »
Thanks for your feedback.

As it happened we bought a 'floor stock' Eva-Kool 60L Dual  Zone today for a great price at the BNE show today.
I think that with the 47L will be the best solution for us.

Trev

Nice work Trev, ive got the 60 and theyre a beaut, flexibility is very handy. Youll have it covered now mate
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 04:59:09 AM »
We used a 60ltr and had a cryovac machine with us. We did 7 days between basic food stops. You'll be surprised what you can get from the remote shops as they cater for the locals as well.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »
Yeah a cryovac is high on the list of things to research.

We're going to use our touring fridge setup at home for a few weeks to fine tune the way we pack.

Trev