Author Topic: Working to fund your trip round oz.  (Read 9989 times)

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
Working to fund your trip round oz.
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
The monotony of a crap job simply to pay the rent is a soul destroying exercise. Waiting for those 4 weeks holiday so you can relax and be yourself.
It seems like you go round in a vicious circle of ups and downs.
With lots of employment issues growing around Australia what's a young working family to do.
I ( stookie) used to have an exceptional income , no debt and decided we would love kids.
Kids came along and life was great. The great career went with the company being bought over due to issues created by stupid business men.
I lost the job, career and we has to re evaluate our plan.
We have no debt, no credit cards and no car loans.
We saved for our trailer and are proud of our setup.
Hating the job but knowing it's a means to survive is not cutting it.

We would like to take our 4wd, trailer and bike 2 kids and dog and go north ?.
Work our way round oz on the harvest trail, picking fruit and spending time in beautiful places, follow the weather and the seasonal work.
I keep sitting and discussing this with my wife and coming to the conclusion that there is nothing stopping us. We don't own a house, kids are not at school yet and we have no money to pay out other than fuel, food and maintenance when it arrises.

Has anyBody done this before ?
From all accounts seasonal picking jobs are there for he taking and with our own accommodation it's seems silly to work in this rut of a job.
I have tried for other positions but with no luck. I
 Over qualified for them and allegedly I'd be bored.

As a working man I want to spend time with my family, see my kids grow up and influence them.
I commute 4 hours a day and work 45 hrs for rent food and bills. My lil is an outstanding mother and we don't want the kids in care.

If we where to chase the dream of camping and working around oz we would like to ask all of you guys for advice, places to go, things to look out for,

I guess I'm looking for the a reason not to do it, but it's not a reason I can find.

Are there jobs to be had ?
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline cewilson

• Tent User
    • cewilson
Re: Working to fund your trip round oz.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
What trade are you?
1998 Trak Shak
200tDi Defender
90 series Prado, gas/petrol

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
I'm a sound engineer. Audio technology trainer.
Now a redundant job in oz. I was headhunted from uk to do it here.

I also fix motorbikes and I'm handy with fixing stuff. I work as a service advisor for the biggest motorcycle workshop in oz.
The company is terrible to work for.
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »
Yes you can do this yes it pays but it is not that glamourous when we did our half lap (well we are still on it actually) we found with those types of jobs you are competing with backpakers who will
Do the job for less if it is cash
Not metion words like PPE workers comp or written procedures

I found the best odd jobs i got was at the caravan parks i cleaned pools, helped direct vans, looked after the shop, did some gardening, helped empty the dump point (do not do this when you are hung over).

Not all paid cash some gave us a free nights accomodation for half a days work, one gave me 100 litres of diesel. Every little bit on the road helps. A lot of the caravan parks also advertise for cleaners. I used to check in and pay for a night or 2 and then ask if there is any odd jobs that need doing and negotiate from there.

My wife ended up helping feed the dolphins at Monkey Mia once again not cash but free powered site at the resort and a free lunch every day

So you can go for the fruit picking but keep in mind you are competing with every backpaker in the country, if you think a bit laterally your can do really well.
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
I think deep down you have already made your decision.
It's just a matter of time and you will realise this, pack your bags and do it.
Best of luck.

Trevor

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the headsup. Fruitpicking jobs will be one of many we wpuld be doing. Mustering is also on the list as I grew up on farms and have bike on trailer.
Wife is also available for work depending on location and whats available.

And I guess we have already decided.
Just need to make the first move.
Reassurance is a wonderful thing

Manjimike

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
Go for it  :cup:

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
Word of warning about fruit picking. There are so many experienced pickers who show up every year, most orchards use the known more experienced pickers, so don't hang everything on picking.
Cheers Glenn

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
Gday,

I speant 7 years working around oz, if you want work and are willing to have a go you will find it.The tropics are great.

I started off doing my trade(spray painting,)fruit picking then eventually got into tourism and hospitality then 4x4 tours and eventualy skipered boats in kakadu.
The island (like the whitsundays) resorts and places like port douglas need loads of workers in the dry to fill positions.Everything from barstaff,waiters,groundsman, maintenance,cleaners,housekeepers,receptionists.Not the most glamourous jobs at times but the rewards are in the fine print.Live on an island or in a resort like cooinda in kakadu and its cheap to live(10 years ago cooinda was 85 per week food and rent) so you can save up fast. High turn over of staff means there is the oportunity to go up the ladder fast.I started on an island as a cleaner then snagged a job running a bar for the staff.cushy
Most of the resorts offer famils( heavily discounted tours etc) for staff,We used to go reef fishing and diving for next to nothing.

I did the fruit picking thing and its ok but for me its not as good as resort work.

Any questions ask away
Pete

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:25:50 PM by pedeosar »
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
Thanks for the insight pete,
We are not "fixed" on Fruit picking. My wife is in the Hospitality trade and is a manager and all that kinda stuff.
Ive got my certificate in horticulture and Land based Industry but have never done anything with it.

Travelling and working seems like a better life for us than sitting in a rent contract and crap job with no prospects knowing there is no immediate light at the end of the tunnel. Travelling jobs means it might be crap but its temporary and then onto the next place.
We used to live in Cairns so have a few contacts.
Would look at getting into resort work also just whatever comes up.

We will be living out of our CT and will have money to fund the trip , we wont be relying on a wage to get to the next job.
We will work to keep the balance up and enjoy the adventure.
If we find a nice town with good prospects then we will suck it all up and work and bank the money.

Its a better option than where we are at the moment.........

Will pick your brains for sure.
Thanks for the help mate.

:cheers:

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
NO probs,
There are stacks of options ....like if you want to live in the ct and not a resort you can commute to  islands like daydream and hamilton.....

cheers
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
We need a relief  milker so we can do our month trip to the cape  ;D, On a more serious note there is plenty of work in the CQ area particuly in Gladstone and there will be for a few years  the only problem no where to rent but you could always live in the camper .

snakehips

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
Hey Stookie, me and 'er indoors are pretty much in the same posi.

We've both found it easy to get office jobs through our lives (we're 43) but we're currently stuck in boring government jobs in Canberra and have decided to take a year to travel the country.  We have no ties - no kids, pets, property, jobs we enjoy, family in the area or friends that we'd miss (yes, everything you've heard about Canberra being a hard place to make friends is true).  We're fit and healthy touch wood, and we've been thinking of doing something like this for years.

It took us yonks to finally come up with a date to leave.  I believe it's human nature to think about the negatives first, and most people get stuck there before they even get to thinking about the positives.  To cut a long story short it will NEVER be the right time to do this.  There will always be a reason to delay or not do it, but if you've gone through all the why's and why nots and can't see a reason not to do it, then set a date and stick with it.  We've got 5 and a half weeks to go and once you get to a certain point (like booking the removalist, or selling your 2nd car), it gets real-and way more exciting!

We've budgeted for a year without working, but we'll end up in places we want to explore more so are keen to pick up work.  We'll do anything as the $ aren't as important as the experience, but we've absolutely no worries of picking up some sort of work wherever we want it. 

That's the beauty of this country - you feel like you can do anything.  Anywhere could throw up an opportunity if you recognise it and can act on it.  You'd never even think about doing something like this in the UK (I know - we're Poms that came out here 10 years ago for a job too).  Our material life is either on the camper or in storage and part of this trip is to see where else would be better to settle than Canberra-that isn't going to be hard!!

Good luck with whatever you do mate, but if you go ahead and do it you'll love it. 

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
Thanks guys. We are looking to live in the camper so rent won't be an issue. The only rent we plan on paying is at a caravan park if we can't get a bush camp.

When you need a relief milker ?

Seriously !
We are looking to leave end of April or may. No fixed plans as yet but our prep has started.

Offline gonefishing

• On a dark desert highway
  • Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »
Gday,
I found this website which has heaps of ag jobs all over aus. 

http://employment.byron.com.au/index.html

Maybe it would make it easier to head off if you had your first job lined up to go to.  It'll get easier as you go.

goforit!!
If at first you don't succeed...do it your wife's way! :P

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »
We're not worried about finding work...we know it's out there! I'm studying accounting atm as well, so figure tax time could add to the coffers as well ;) just need periodic access to Internet for uni updates and submitting assignments. I'm also thinking of getting HR license..seems to be a lot of driving work to be had and probably not so many backpackers with truck licenses!

Lil :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 08:50:39 AM »
We sort of have a milker penciled in but you are quite welcome to visit plenty of camping on the farm free ,if you had a hr licence i reckin i could get you a job in Gladstone tomorrow but like i said rent is 400 to 500 per week and that is if you can find somewhere but wages are good apparantly we are under 2 hours west of gladdy.We are going on the myswag cape trip in june ,that is if the camper is ready if not july it will be

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
Yep. Just pick a date and a direction and just go! We did that last year and are now in Kununurra working for the next leg(from Albany). I'm a panelbeater and have found it easy to get work in my trade but I would like to do something else. Wife works in retail but is working for the Dept of Water at the moment. Also look into house sitting. Free rent and get to meet people. Quite a few websites on that.
Just go. You wont regret it

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »
Looks like the date is set
26th April give or take.
And yes that's in 2 months ish.

Got a plan, got to organise car maintanance.

Storage for some gear and we are off like fish milkshake.

snakehips

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »
Unreal stookie - that was quick!

Time will fly - I can remember when we had 34 weeks to go - now it's just 34 days.

See you on the road!

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
Hi Stookie,

All the best I`m sure you`ll have some great adventures and experiences.
This link might give you some idea of what jobs are available out there

http://www.workaboutaustralia.com.au//index.html

:cheers:Robyn.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:45:21 PM by WaituiRob »

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
Just do it Stookie.

Best time is before the kids start school. Our eldest is in Grade 6 and loves school so much that whenever we want to go away for a few weeks by taking time off school, she gets upset.

We took 6 months off and went half way around in 2003. We only had our daughter then but she loved every minute of it and I believe she has benefited from it.

We didn't work our way around, I was lucky enough to have long service leave, so we sold the house and off we went. No mortgage or utilities to pay but still a wage coming in, made it easy to live.

You only live once and you never know what is around the corner. Do it while you can.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 07:27:39 AM »
I am holding off to give notice at work. Lil has been researching locations and work and I'm modifying the CT sorting out the car and generally keeping out the way of a woman on a mission.
We don't know much about where to go in NSW or South QLD so will be asking for some good places to camp along the way. Down in Vic we have rooftop maps. But that's a local thing. Anybody got any good maps for NSW and QLD that will show campspots ?
We have the campwide Australia but it's more about roadside stops than must see places with camping.

We will try to freecamp as much as possible but don't want to really leave the CT unattended whilst out and about so will stay in caravan parks do we can get out as a family and do stuff.

We will be looking for alot of advice yet.

Snakehips where are you heading ?
We will hopefully meet up with some of you along the way. We are both excited and scared at the trip ahead but we know we can accomplish anything.

Lookforward to some camp spots in NSW. We will post up where we are heading and hopefully you guys can help guide us and sometimes join us.

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »
WELL DONE :cup:  So jealous we are taking steps to do exactly what you are doing we have to young kids and want  to do the big lap before they grow up , when you are up this way give us a bell and will try to  hook you up with a job and point out all the free camping in the area have fun keep us all posted on your adventure :cheers:

snakehips

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
Snakehips where are you heading ?

Mate haven't got too much planned ahead.  We're heading down the south (NSW) coast for a week (add Tuross Beach Caravan Park to yer list!) to give us the feeling of a 'holiday' first up, then to Eden, up to Thredbo & the back of Kozi, then Mudgee for Easter weekend (we ride bikes and it's the Mudgee Bike Muster).  After that we want to be over the QLD border at the beginning of May.  From there it's up the coast, Savannah Way (not the Cape) Kakadu, Kimberley, west coast, south west WA, then across to SA.  From there we start thinking about where we're gunna live!

If you're after ideas in NSW:
1) Most of the national parks are awesome and the website is really handy.  Grab an annual  National Parks pass http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/annualpass/DailyVehicleEntryFees.htm]([url]http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/annualpass/DailyVehicleEntryFees.htm)[/url] if you intend to go to a few, as the entry fees soon mount up, but forget Kozi as without Kozi the pass is $65, with it it's $190!  You've got hills in VIC anyway!

2) State Forests are excellent places to camp for free and there are lots of 'em.  http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/forests/recreation/activities/camping

3) We have't really been north of Sydney an awful lot but some of the places we personally like in NSW from (roughly) South to North are:
Eden;
Pretty much the whole coast from Tathra to Kiama!  Seriously, you can't go wrong anywhere along the south coast;
Kangaroo Valley;
Canberra's worth a look for a few days if you like your museums, galleries and history.
The Blue Mountains;
A diversion loop to Orange, Cowra, Parkes (the Dish) and Dubbo (zoo) is interesting;
Port Stephens is beautiful;
I seem to recall the macadamia Nut Castle on the main road around the NSW/QLD border.   That was fun;
Corrumbin sanctuary (OK we like animals) near Burleigh heads was also excellent 12 years ago.

Mate there is a ton of stuff in addition to this that's excellent. That'll give you some things to chew on for a start!  Planning's the fun bit mate-you just need to work out what kinda stuff you want to see and do.  Enjoy!