Author Topic: 12 Volt Compressors  (Read 24593 times)

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 12 Volt Compressors
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
We just bought one of these.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/product/90L-12V-SUPER-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-COMPRESSOR-p66421.htm

I'll let you know how it goes. We were looking at the ARB portable compressor but thought at $89 v $365 this one was worth a go.

:cheers: Glenyse

Hi Glenyse - have you used the compressor yet. Any good? Thinking of getting one for a 9wk trip in June.
Thanks,
Tony

ps great choice in camper!!!
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 05:53:45 PM »
Hi Glenyse - have you used the compressor yet. Any good? Thinking of getting one for a 9wk trip in June.
Thanks,
Tony

ps great choice in camper!!!

Still waiting for it to arrive. Ordered it Wednesday so hoping it will be here tomorrow (monday). I'll let you know how it goes as soon as we have a play with it.

:D Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
Interesting - are these the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Projecta-TYPHOON-Air-Compressor-Free-Tyre-Deflators-/160581894142?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25636d3ffe

these are an awesome compressor.. the only difference between the two would be the internals.

mine pumps up 6 tyres in about 18 minutes, from 12-14 psi to 42psi. i have modified it a little, mine came in a case, which i scrapped and it also had a base, which i removed and i permanently mounted this in the back draws.

i bought an extension air hose of ABR Sidewinder and from this spot it can reach all the tyres..  :cup:

Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline danielhobby

• Swag User
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Projecta-TYPHOON-Air-Compressor-Free-Tyre-Deflators-/160581894142?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25636d3ffe

i too have this comp,love the ability to pump up 31x10.5 from 16psi to 40psi very quickly.be warned though that they will have a light wiring loom between swiches etc inside,take it apart and have alook or wait for it to start to smoke at some stage,i took my first one back to seller(rare spares)and they exchanged it instantly.second one runs slower than first and i suspect voltage drop in light wiring will be the culprit again. I dont rely on this compressor to save my life in the outback!!!
The sights,...the smells,...the companionship,...the thrill of the steep downhill,when I'm old I'll have it all

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
I had a Projecta Cyclone compressor which is the smaller brother to the Typhoon - only a single piston job. It worked well for a few years, but always ran very hot. Wasn't the quickest thing, but it got there. Recently the yellow curly hose got very brittle and fell apart - of course I only found this out when I went to use it. Luckily we were at home still, so it wasn't a huge problem, but something to watch out for. I've no idea if the Typhoons use the same hose, I'd guess they possibly do.

I was going to replace the hose and continue using it, but had a chat to my Dad who had a few of them on the work trucks. Seems within a year or two every one of their compressors failed - blown big-end bearing on the piston, and either seized up or flogged out the piston. They use them a lot, but not for super high pressures (pumping up the internal bladder in water pump pressure tanks). Again, no idea if this correlates to the bigger Typhoons - I hope not.

Based on all that, a couple of months ago I took the plunge and grabbed one of the ARB portable ones. It's great. Difference is night and day. At the ARB open day on Saturday, I picked up the air chuck attachment for it, and am now looking for an excuse to pump something up. I grabbed a new ARB catalog at the same time, and they've got a new compressor kit out - basically two of the HO compressors mounted together, with a big air tank connected to them. Might be a good option for people who need a LOT of air. No idea on cost, but if you need that much compressed air, cost is probably a secondary consideration anyway!

The take away thing for me, out of my experience with the Cyclone, is if you're going away, spend the 10 mins to pull the compressor (whatever you have) out of it's bag and give it a test. Better to find a blown air hose or busted whatever in your driveway, compared to 6 hours into the bush. It doesn't take long, and for such an important piece of equipment, it's a good safety check.

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »
Still waiting for it to arrive. Ordered it Wednesday so hoping it will be here tomorrow (monday). I'll let you know how it goes as soon as we have a play with it.

:D Glenyse

Well it arrived yesterday -BROKEN!!   >:( Not happy at all. I've emailed topbuy but I"m still waiting on a reply. Apart from that it doesn't look too bad but it definitely doesn't look to be the same quality as ARB etc.

Still deciding whether to get a replacement or a refund.

Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »
Just got myself one of those 150L /m, twin piston compressors with all the kit off of ebay last night for $40......plus $25 delivered to my door, so all up $65.  I'm happy with that price!  My mate has the Projecta Typhoon....and after carefully looking at his unit, and comparing it to the one I brought we're both convinced they are made in they same chinese factory.  Everything is identical..... switches, wiring, alligator clips, nuts, bolts, fittings..... identical apart from the branding sticker and the fact he paid $179....... ouch! ;D

Love to have an ARB or another expensive type of name branded pump..... but just can't justify the price when things are tough.  My little single piston no name hurricane pump has lasted 10 years and cost me less than $100 bucks and is only just starting to give up the ghost..... I'm hoping this one serves me just as well!     

Offline Geoffwin

• Tent User
  • Vegetable oil smells good..........
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »
I ended up with this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140559506990

The only minor issue was that the filters are flimsy and had not been fully screwed in, one had broken a few of the end threads off. Easily fixed but could have been a hassle if it was snapped off.

Gave it a quick run, runs quiet and puts out a fair volume. Has not been tried in anger but I am sure it will do the job.
1996 GXL Diesel - running on liquid chips
2011 Jayco Eagle (Lake Eyre, parts of Oodnadatta and Strezlecki - Done)
2012 Cape York (July - August) Easy Tracks -Done

Coopers Creek August 2011

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 08:04:19 AM »
We just bought one of these.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/product/90L-12V-SUPER-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-COMPRESSOR-p66421.htm

I'll let you know how it goes. We were looking at the ARB portable compressor but thought at $89 v $365 this one was worth a go.

So topbuy replaced the damaged part and we used it for the first time a few weeks ago. It infates quite well but it has no valve to prevent it sucking air back out of the tyres when you turn it off. Scott explains it better but he's away so you'll have to make do with my explaination  :-[  So when you stop putting air in and want to read the pressure gauge you've got to be quick or you drop pressure again. Does that make sense???  ???

It will do for now but I think we'll go with an ARB one as soon as finances allow.

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »
I have a Big Red, made by Thomas in the US(same mob that make Blue Tongue and OX air) I wanted something that would last, I paid $375 with a 7mtr hose.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 06:41:39 AM »
Just got myself one of those 150L /m, twin piston compressors with all the kit off of ebay last night for $40......plus $25 delivered to my door, so all up $65.  I'm happy with that price!  My mate has the Projecta Typhoon....and after carefully looking at his unit, and comparing it to the one I brought we're both convinced they are made in they same chinese factory.  Everything is identical..... switches, wiring, alligator clips, nuts, bolts, fittings..... identical apart from the branding sticker and the fact he paid $179....... ouch! ;D

now open it up and compare the internals and you will probably find why it is more expensive

dan

Offline Geoffwin

• Tent User
  • Vegetable oil smells good..........
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
I ended up with this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140559506990

The only minor issue was that the filters are flimsy and had not been fully screwed in, one had broken a few of the end threads off. Easily fixed but could have been a hassle if it was snapped off.

Gave it a quick run, runs quiet and puts out a fair volume. Has not been tried in anger but I am sure it will do the job.

Just got back from trip, this compressor was used in anger 4 times (all in the rear right hand side tyre - thanks goodness for plugs :-) ) Also used a few more times to vary pressure in tyres for different conditions. Damn pleased I had it with me.
1996 GXL Diesel - running on liquid chips
2011 Jayco Eagle (Lake Eyre, parts of Oodnadatta and Strezlecki - Done)
2012 Cape York (July - August) Easy Tracks -Done

Coopers Creek August 2011

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
now open it up and compare the internals and you will probably find why it is more expensive

Have you compared the two yourself, or are you just assuming (or hoping) there is a difference?...    I've got access to the projecta pump, so I'll pull it apart as much as can without destroying it (if my mates okay with it), and do the same to my generic pump.... but what differences internally should I be looking for..... ?

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
Have you compared the two yourself, or are you just assuming (or hoping) there is a difference?...    I've got access to the projecta pump, so I'll pull it apart as much as can without destroying it (if my mates okay with it), and do the same to my generic pump.... but what differences internally should I be looking for..... ?

in a magazine review they've shown photos of the inside of both.

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
in a magazine review they've shown photos of the inside of both.

Which magazine, and what were the differences?

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
i "think" it was a 4wd action.

the differences were in the castings, some parts that should have been metal were plastic, the filters were different, the connections were different, the wire used was different.

the outside was identical.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 07:49:24 PM »
I bought an eBay beauty for $74 plus $19 freight, that was nearly three years ago now.
150psi 150 lpm, will pump up a 31x10.5x15 D/Dueler in just on 3 1/2 minutes, from dead flat. :D
I don't treat it like a pump that cost 500 bucks. I let it rest between tyres.
I've used it may times after a days 4wdriving. I Find it heaps handy for the kids push bikes, the airbags in the rear, saves starting up the sheds compressor.
I'm pretty happy with the 95 bucks.  ;D
Oh, and I do know it's not going to last.
 :cheers:

Note, when I bought mine, I checked out what SuperCheap were selling at the time and it was the same pump that they had a price tag of $230 for, just a different cardboard package on the plastic case.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
I bought an eBay beauty for $74 plus $19 freight, that was nearly three years ago now.
150psi 150 lpm, will pump up a 31x10.5x15 D/Dueler in just on 3 1/2 minutes, from dead flat. :D
I don't treat it like a pump that cost 500 bucks. I let it rest between tyres.
I've used it may times after a days 4wdriving. I Find it heaps handy for the kids push bikes, the airbags in the rear, saves starting up the sheds compressor.
I'm pretty happy with the 95 bucks.  ;D
Oh, and I do know it's not going to last.
 :cheers:

Note, when I bought mine, I checked out what SuperCheap were selling at the time and it was the same pump that they had a price tag of $230 for, just a different cardboard package on the plastic case.

and mine was even cheaper   >:D
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »
and mine was even cheaper   >:D
Shame on you Goldie,,, buying a cheap comp.... ;D

Poverty Pack.!

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »
Shame on you Goldie,,, buying a cheap comp.... ;D
hehehehehe.......Hairs bidded for me on ebay. got mine cheaper than he did his  8)
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
i "think" it was a 4wd action

They did a compressor comparo in issue 131.  I can't find it on the "net", so hopefully someone can confirm whether they compared the Projecta Typhoon with the ebay imposter, and pulled them apart and compared the two....

the differences were in the castings, some parts that should have been metal were plastic, the filters were different, the connections were different, the wire used was different.

the outside was identical.

When you say castings, what are you specifically referring to?  My ebay cheapie is all metal.  I just went out in the shed and took the cylinder head bolts off and lifted the head in the hunt to find plastic.  I can confirm the piston (well at least one of them  ;D) is made of metal, the cylinder is a metal insert / sleeve and the cooling fins are made from aluminium and slide over the sleeve itself.  The only thing which is plastic is the filters.

As in my original post, when we compared my ebay cheapie to my mates projecta typhoon, the wire is the same, the alligator clips were the same, the on / off switch is the same, the pneumatic fittings are the same, the filters the same, the crappy airline and gauge was the same..... not similar, but exactly the same.

Unless someone can prove otherwise (and I'm not going to measure the number of copper wire turns in the motor!), I think we can call this one "myth busted".... they are the same compressor, and unfortunately all the extra you're paying for with the Projecta is a pretty coloured sticker.

Happy to stand corrected though! 

Offline ScottH

• Swag User
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »
Just pulled out 131 - they have the Projecta and an Aunger Zeus which both look identical to the eBay ones linked above. The Aunger failed without warning (suggested manufacturing fault) but the Projecta was a "recommended" buy.

The autopsies were on a Piranha Max Volume, TJM Portable and T-Max Taipan (which look identical to each other, but completely different to the eBay ones).

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
Just pulled out 131 - they have the Projecta and an Aunger Zeus which both look identical to the eBay ones linked above. The Aunger failed without warning (suggested manufacturing fault) but the Projecta was a "recommended" buy.

The autopsies were on a Piranha Max Volume, TJM Portable and T-Max Taipan (which look identical to each other, but completely different to the eBay ones).

Thanks mate for clarifying.

Offline whitey

• Tent User
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Bought one like UIZ733 did from eeekbay (agrmachin....y) 150psi  . myself and boys use it a bit, they have a ride on mowers and slasher and the odd ute low tyre issues and it hasn't been a drama for a year ......more use than a 4wd would use it i'm sure $75 delivered when i won the bid.

Offline Boesman

• Swag User
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »
I also bought a twin head from AGR Machinery on Ebay. After using it once, it failed.

this one.

So I took it apart....... >:D

The main wire was soldered to the switch terminals and that came loose. My suspicion is that it was a bad soldering job and the wire came loose due to the amount of amps going through the wire.
I found the switch was only rated 10Amps too.
So I changed the switch for a heavy duty one and re-soldered the wires onto the terminals again.
The crockadile clamps looked and felt a bit thin and I was worried that the motor was not getting a good solid feed of Amps, so I made the power cord shorter (now only 80cm long) and fitted an Anderson 50Amp plug to it.

I have since not had a problem again.

I have not opened the cylinder heads off to have a look at the internals yet, but maybe that is a good idea to see if I have metal pistons or nylon ones.
I only work to support my hobbies.
PMX camper Trailer pulled by a Ford Ranger PK