Author Topic: 12 Volt Compressors  (Read 24600 times)

UIZ733

12 Volt Compressors
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:15:14 PM »
Is this; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-150L-12V-Portable-Heavy-Duty-Air-Compressor-/170611516607?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b93d24bf (or similar) worth the money OR is it a case of beware and keep you money in your pocket. I accept that this and other similar Ebay listings are Chinese knock-offs and not to be confused with the "real thing".
Regards P

Offline Jardry

• Tent User
  • 2005 Jayco Freedom / 1999 Outback Sturt
Re: 12 Volt Compressors
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
That thing on the outside looks very similar to the Opposite Lock Blue Tongue Twin Tongue which was reviewed in the recent CT Australia mag.

When one is priced at $769 and the other is $97, one offers a 5 year warranty and the other offers 120 days warranty, it is definitely what's on the inside that has to be different.

If it were me, I'd be keeping my money in my pocket.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
What's worse than not havng a compressor? Having a compressor that fails when you have only inflated 2 tyres  :laugh:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »
If it seeme to good to be true it might just be . Go have a gander at the ARB compressor they are worth the $ . As D4D said where is the saving if it cacks its self on the first few uses its expencive in the long run  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
At that price better buy 1 per tyre 5 all up , don't worry about the room they take up,you can sell along the trip and if there any good let me know so i can buy 1............ ;D
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:10:06 AM »
Hi Guys and Girls, I am a ebay buyer , many people knock the ebay articles , but myself personally have had very little to complain about about the quality of the Chinese look alike.
For the purchase price of this compressor at $97.00 dollars with the extended warranty for another $20.00 , what have really got to loose. $117.00 compared to $769 for the compressor that Jardry mentioned. Even if you bought one each year when the extended warranty ran out, after five years you would still be in front at that rate for $184.00 , that will buy you many  :cheers:. How often will you use the compressor and many other factors would have to be considered to make me spend more than six times the cost of the ebay compressor. cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline offroadfreq

• Tent User
  • My First Patrol....... Long time ago.....
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
I bought the exact same compressor just before going away at christmas and used it to inflate 2 kids boats and re-inflate my 33's from 16psi up to 35psi. It worked great! The wiring from the battery to the fuse got a bit hot - because it was sitting in the sun, my bad - and blew the fuse, so when I replaced the fuse and moved it into the shade it worked fine and quick. It was money well spent  ;D ;D ;D

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »
Hi Guys and Girls, I am a ebay buyer , many people knock the ebay articles , but myself personally have had very little to complain about about the quality of the Chinese look alike.
For the purchase price of this compressor at $97.00 dollars with the extended warranty for another $20.00 , what have really got to loose. $117.00 compared to $769 for the compressor that Jardry mentioned. Even if you bought one each year when the extended warranty ran out, after five years you would still be in front at that rate for $184.00 , that will buy you many  :cheers:. How often will you use the compressor and many other factors would have to be considered to make me spend more than six times the cost of the ebay compressor. cheers duggie

IMO what you have to loose is being way out there with under inflated tyres or worse a tyre that has popped of the bead with out the means to re-inflate them. While at the end of the day you can always drive really slowly to get home I would rather be sure and with my ARB under the seat and Big Red in the camper I am. Not saying that this one is rubbish but you'd have to ask yourself at that price

Another point would be is the OP intending to get an ARB air locker as that wold make a difference as well
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

UIZ733

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
Thanks all for your comments and input.  The damage has been done. I bought one of these instead; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-150L-MIN-PORTABLE-ULTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-COMPRESSOR-/160418730884?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item2559b39384 instead. Delivered to my door for $80.00. I is significantly better than what I currently have................. (nothing). I could not justify spending large dollars on an item that potentially may be used infrequently.
P

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
Bought a Chineese copy of a MaxAir  6yrs ago for under $100 , still going strong ,will even reseat the beads  on 33s ,  just because something is priced 5-6 times more does not mean its 5 times as good , Warranty ? not worth the paper its printed on when the $700 compressor poops itself in the middle of the desert and is voided if you even try to fix it yourself.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:36 AM »
Warranty ? not worth the paper its printed on when the $700 compressor poops itself in the middle of the desert and is voided if you even try to fix it yourself.

And that's also very true. My bead situation was at the Mitchell Plateau and the Comp he had would not pop it back on. I think the cheaper ones these days are getting quite good as you've posted & I don;t think I would have bought the ARB if I didn't need it for the Diff Lock - All good....
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:55:54 AM by SteveandViv »

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »
There was a good article in this edition of Australian Campertrailer on portable Compressors it opened my eyes on a few points.
 It seems that the chinese model has a 30minute duty time at a 24C ambient and the fine print states 4x4 tyres on SUV, but not the Cruisers, Patrols of this world.
 So I think I will give this one a miss.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »
Back in 04 I picked up a Bushranger Maxair ripoff in Ebay for around $120.  It was a great compressor and worked a treat weekends away airing up not only my car, but my mates too.  Aside from the fact the rubber mounts on the base ripped off within weeks and the gauge was about 15psi out.  In 06 we were weeks away from setting off on a 4 month trip, while at the camping show out at Caufield racecourse I found the genuine Maxair on special for $299 with a bonus repair kit.  Decided not to get it until driving out of the carpark I changed my mind and ran back in and bought it.

I gave the ripoff to my father inlaw and we headed off.  4 weeks into the trip we were airing up after leaving Ruby Gap east of Alice Springs.  Everytime my father inlaw used it, it would pop the fuse when it reached about 25psi.  It eventually got worse and worse before it was tossed in a bin somewhere in WA.

The real Maxair did both 4wd's plus the camper for the rest of the trip and is still going strong today.   Not to mention the warranty will run out in another 2 months!

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
Another for the bushranger I love mine use it fir the 4by and I went to jaycar bought a 12v battery that sits inside the bag and now I don't have to run cables to my battery so I also use it for my track bike at the race track and so does everyone else

Love it

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:12:05 PM »
I have a Bushranger Maxair,had it for about 10 years.
We use it all the time around the farm. Have blown up tractor tyres with no overheating problems.
My brother has the ARB, works well but not as quick as the Bushranger and it will over heat on big jobs (continuous running)
IMO go the Bushranger

Cheers Glenn  :cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

UIZ733

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »
I have received the compressor. It definitely pumps up a tyre quickly and there is no apparent overheating. If weight is anything to go by, it is a solid unit. Negatives are; the wire and switch are in my opinion crap and I have replaced both (no big deal for me) with heavy duty items. The coiled hose also appears to be a little flimsy compared to the main item. Overall I am very happy with my purchase..............................thus far.
Regards and thanks to all who have contributed.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
Thanks all for your comments and input.  The damage has been done. I bought one of these instead; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-150L-MIN-PORTABLE-ULTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-COMPRESSOR-/160418730884?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item2559b39384 instead. Delivered to my door for $80.00. I is significantly better than what I currently have................. (nothing). I could not justify spending large dollars on an item that potentially may be used infrequently.
P

We have had this same one for 3 years now and it has never failed to work...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
my ARB under the seat and Big Red in the camper.

Why the need for 2 compressors? Are you in that much of a hurry?

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
Why the need for 2 compressors? Are you in that much of a hurry?

I bough the big red years ago (7) and then got the ARB for the diff lock. As it turns out the hose from the front seat of the car does not reach to the camper so the big red has that job along with blowing us the Wahoo's (blow up boards) and balls and tyres for the bikes and stuff

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 06:25:05 PM »
My air compressor is a Aldi one that is the same as those but only a single piston.  It cost me $60 7 years ago and has never let me down...  Looks the same as all the other branded names,   The only thing I recon is different is the sticker on the side.... and the price...   $97 is a fair price...  If I paid more than $200 for a compressor I would expect it to last for years and years and if it didn't I would be real pissed...   When my 60 buck job craps itself I hope I can still get home and then I'll go get a ARB one....
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline Geoffwin

• Tent User
  • Vegetable oil smells good..........
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
Interesting - are these the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Projecta-TYPHOON-Air-Compressor-Free-Tyre-Deflators-/160581894142?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25636d3ffe

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-150L-MIN-PORTABLE-ULTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-COMPRESSOR-/160418730884?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item2559b39384

It is all very confusing and IMO most of the "expensive" brands are really rebranded or made to order with specific branding but are in reality the same.

EDIT: Just found this comparison, cannot vouch for how good it is as it just popped out of google.

http://www.overlander.com.au/equipment/index/full/88/12-Volt-Air-Compressor-Comparison

better stick the link in.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:06:06 PM by Geoffwin »
1996 GXL Diesel - running on liquid chips
2011 Jayco Eagle (Lake Eyre, parts of Oodnadatta and Strezlecki - Done)
2012 Cape York (July - August) Easy Tracks -Done

Coopers Creek August 2011

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 06:28:38 PM »
http://www.overlander.com.au/equipment/index/full/88/12-Volt-Air-Compressor-Comparison

Bugger reading all that i,m not that keen.
Had my Bluetounge for 13 years still works like the day i bought it. :cup:

Offline Crosslander

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-150L-MIN-PORTABLE-ULTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-COMPRESSOR-/160418730884?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item2559b39384

Holy Crapola - Have a look how many units sold.....

Not sure how much markup per unit but not a bad little business sideline!!

Offline Mav

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Centralian Images Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »
I have had my typhoon for 3 years and it has had a good work out over that time and it is still going strong. I would not hesitate in getting another one in the future should this one I have now fail.

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »
We just bought one of these.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/product/90L-12V-SUPER-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-COMPRESSOR-p66421.htm

I'll let you know how it goes. We were looking at the ARB portable compressor but thought at $89 v $365 this one was worth a go.

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab