Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260941 times)

Offline Jumpcut

• Learning the Ropes
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #550 on: November 05, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »
Mick, the key locks the outer hub to the inner core. Then the cap unscrews anti-clockwise. It can be quite stiff.
2014 Cub Brumby
2009 Prado Diesel
The following users thanked this post: Diamonds

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #551 on: November 05, 2016, 12:51:43 PM »
Thanks. Will give it a go.

Offline PhantomWalker

• Learning the Ropes
Re: The CUB CLUB New Member
« Reply #552 on: November 08, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »
Hi,

Glad to find this site as I have just bought a used Cub 2014 Spacematic Escape.

Have a number of project to do, eventually:
     1.     Tropical roof (my cub has fittings required built in).
     2.     Water tank + pump etc.
     3.     Battery solar system

Does anyone know where I can get a after market tropical roof?

Kind Regards,

Eric

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #553 on: November 08, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »
Hi Eric.

Suggest you take the strap out of the roller or you'll have another job to do - replacing the tent bows.

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #554 on: November 08, 2016, 01:48:09 PM »
Thanks. Will give it a go.

Unfortunately it must be cactus.  I can lock and unlock the core from the rim, but it just spins endlessly either way. 

Offline Jumpcut

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #555 on: November 08, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
Unfortunately it must be cactus.  I can lock and unlock the core from the rim, but it just spins endlessly either way.
It's tricky I know, but if you lock it to the hub, and then twist anti-clockwise it will come out.  It probably just needs a little "persuasion".
ie:  The rim needs to be locked to the inner core in order to unscrew it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:06:44 PM by Jumpcut »
2014 Cub Brumby
2009 Prado Diesel

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
« Reply #556 on: November 08, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
It's tricky I know, but if you lock it to the hub, and then twist anti-clockwise it will come out.  It probably just needs a little "persuasion".
ie:  The rim needs to be locked to the inner core in order to unscrew it.

Gents
To remove the cap you unlock and then have to push in and turn at the same time. Much like you would for a light bulb.
Won't come off otherwise.

Ta

John
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
« Reply #557 on: November 08, 2016, 05:08:34 PM »
Hi Eric.

Suggest you take the strap out of the roller or you'll have another job to do - replacing the tent bows.

The strap running over the dust tape above the roller is what will be damaged. It will strip it back to bare metal. If you look you will probably see it starting to come away already. One or two openings is all it takes.
The only time the strap goes under the roller is once the floor is better then 3/4 closed. Not required when opening.
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #558 on: November 08, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »
They are much like the child proof caps on bleach and tablet bottles.
You need a child to open them. ;D ;D ;D :cheers:
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #559 on: November 08, 2016, 07:01:57 PM »
Jumpcut wins.  I got it off, works fine. 
The following users thanked this post: Jumpcut

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #560 on: November 08, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »
I haven't read this whole thread yet (maybe one day), but I was walking passed the Cub factory today and saw some interesting chassis stacked up in front of the workshop.
Pretty simple design compared to others that use loads of floor supports.

Just an observation, nothing really to add to the conversation. :)

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #561 on: December 23, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
On recent holiday, Left hand bearing got extremely hot, despite being properly maintained and greased regularly. Nursed camper to C'van Pk set camp and removed wheel to fix. First had to work out what make the hub was, HOLDEN or FORD ???? Remembered something for way back referring to FORD, to be on safe side bought one of each set. Could not remove large bearing outer from inside of hub, requiring work shop with tools. Rang RAC who suggest the RAC recommended work shop in Albany. Rang said work shop expliane dthe issue was told no worries bring it in and we'll fit it in somewheres.
When we got there the lady behind the counter was in foul mood and very unhelpful despite telling us earlier on phone, it'd be OK. Made us fill out a work order and told us it'd get done when it was possible.
Explained to her our predicament and that we needed it done ASAP, it was a ten second job to knock out the ring. She got more agro, told us to wait or come back. After waiting no less that FOUR hours and still no signs of being attended to, spoke to the RAC patrol guy there, who was astounded at what she had done, told us he'd see to it straight away. I gave him BOTH sets of bearings telling him I had no idea which one it was, he recond it DIDNT MATTER. When it was done, found out they'd put the HOLDEN bearings in instead of the FORD. Again, told me it didn't matter, yet when attaching hub to camper, discovered it did not slide on as far as previously because the large bearing was not set as far back as previously. BUGGER.
Crossed fingers and hoped for the best. Sure enough, on the way home this bearing also got warmer than it should have, now face the removal of those bearing to fit the proper FORD set.
From this day henceforth, will be carrying spare set of FORD bearings AND tools to replace same. Good hammer and drift to knock out bearing ring and tool to fit new ring.

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #562 on: December 24, 2016, 07:10:01 AM »
Not sure how that works. My understanding is that Holden bearings are for 39mm axles and fords are for 45mm axles. Wouldn't have thought they'd fit. That said, I can't  imagine too many trailers running Holden bearings as I think the load rating is significantly less as well.

I'm sure the more knowledgable on the forum will point out if I have that wrong.

AdrianLR

The CUB CLUB
« Reply #563 on: December 24, 2016, 07:24:04 AM »
That's a painful experience Itchvet!

This old thread on the Ausfish forum has some useful information. Certainly with boat trailers, there's a real mix of hubs, wheels, bearings. Probably worth doing both sides and matching everything to the other side (assuming they're the original bearings).

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-129402.html

Offline alstarr

• Learning the Ropes
The CUB CLUB
« Reply #564 on: December 29, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »
Marriage in trouble!

Hey. So we've got a kamparoo weekender and we're doing pretty well with it generally. Got over the arguments of choosing a spot, setting up, etc. Except the damned awning. It's the deluxe model and we just can't get it right. The vertical poles go in fine but putting in the Velcro cross poles and stretchers nearly leads to divorce. Every time.  They don't clip in that easily, the angles are never right for the clips and one or both of us gets hit in the head. By the time it's up we really need a drink.

Anyone know of any aftermarket options or solutions for quick set up?

Al
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:43:40 PM by alstarr »

Offline adelgigs

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #565 on: January 11, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »
G'day all,
I've had my Cub Daintree for a couple of years and done plenty of km's on the black stuff and some on the dirt.
In May we are heading for the Kimberley and Pilbara in WA including the Gibb River Road, and I want to carry a couple of spares including shockers.
The Daintree is currently fitted with Rox Shocks RiderPro 119916. I've tried Googling with no luck and emailing the local dealer with no response. What I'm after are the shock specs - open and closed length, and where to buy a spare from.

Anyone else been down this track ?

Cheers,
Simon
Prado 150 / Cub Daintree Camper

Offline baggs71

• Tent User
  • Waltzing Australia...one trip at a time.
« Reply #566 on: March 14, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
Hey peeps..had mine for 6 months
picked it up at a great cash price...green bills smell good to get a bargain
2012 CUB BRUMBY with full annex and walls etc

MODS SO FAR
twin batteries
twin volt gauges
twin tillable solar panels
Weber baby Q
Joolca hot water system plumbed in
Twin gas
Twin jerries
8 LED rigid strips throughout

MODS TO COME
extra 86Litre water tank
17"Steels with BFGs to match tug
Water flow gauge 12V
UHF
TrackR

screen shot windows 7upload imgimage hosting 20mbpic hostimage upload no limituploading imagesuploading imageshow to do a screen shot
The following users thanked this post: Jumpcut

Offline baggs71

• Tent User
  • Waltzing Australia...one trip at a time.
« Reply #567 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »
Ill add some more pics soon

Offline tramsnod

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #568 on: March 26, 2017, 09:26:03 PM »
Just picked up a very nice 2009 Kamperoo Weekender with transcontinental pack and a full awning.

Hope to get it ready for a 4 day outing at Easter so I will have to set it up in the back yard first.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement winch strap from and also how long do I need.

Does anyone know how tall the campers are? I am thinking of wheeling it under my patio roof so its out of the weather while we tidy it up.

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2017, 10:52:09 PM »
Im stuck in FNQ atm, thinking of replacing floor in our 2002 CUB Drover (inside lino) as its pretty crappy purple colour. As Im thinking out loud cause Im bored, is it just a case of unscrewing existing lino & using as template for new stuff, I've never checked but am guessing theres ply underneath. Want to replace internal lino floor where sons bed goes & also the step-up section before fridge. I will also do under internal kitchen but that can wait, cheers
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #570 on: April 12, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I have had a 2nd hand 2001 Cub Drover for about 5 months.  For various reasons she only had her maiden voyage for a few nights earlier this week.

Loved the ease of set up and easier towing compared to the Jayco I had before. 

Just wondering if it is an easy fix to tighten up the saggy tent?  By this I mean it isn't quite taut.  For example, across the front of the van, the canvas sags below the hard front on the inside of the lip meaning that in the event of rain it would fill like a gutter and not pour off over the side (until full of course).  It didn't rain this trip but would imagine it would be an issue if it did.

The old guy I bought it from has fastidiously marked all the poles, but maybe I need to reset them all?  Any advice from those previously addressing this would be great.

Thanks

Mick
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:15:10 PM by Diamonds »

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »
If you go back to page 22, about six from the bottom a post from bobnrob has a video of how to reset the tent on a CUB.  I think there is a video on the CUB site as well.  It is not hard to do.

Good luck.

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #572 on: April 13, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
Thanks Wukkers. That link does not work but I did find the cub one in youtube.

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
I need some photos Spacematic checker plate top
« Reply #573 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
Hey Cub Clubbers
I am  going to replace the original floor/roof of the Spacematic  Off road  it is 3 meters long,
the very first of the deep side Spacematics, actually it was supposed to be a display model.
Anyway the materials are breaking down and we have soft spots on the floor/roof were you step into the ally between the cupboards
I asked Cub about retro fitting an aluminium checker plate floor and was quoted about $4k from memory. I have a mate with an engineering shop, I need to get some details from existing units to help design our replacement, any photos,and measurements greatfully accepted
Also looking for alternatives for front tool box.
Thanks in advance
Grizzly  :cheers:

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #574 on: April 14, 2017, 07:49:28 PM »
Never mind. I give up on this image posting caper!

P.S. Anyone know how to get a replacement gas hose for the ugly circa 2001 wood veneer looking 3 way fridge that came in that era CUBs?  I dont even know the brand. Totally unbranded.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:56:47 PM by Diamonds »