Author Topic: Remote Control Cars  (Read 105961 times)

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
Re: Remote Control Cars
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
This is the PC game all you off roaders need to play
http://www.spintires.com/#!/demo
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
Looking at getting one of these, any comments? good? bad?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370968652604&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:AU:1123

The boys cheapy is a HSP unit and I would struggle to recommend one to anyone. The biggest issue I have had with it is the plastic hubs and steering servos failing. Having said that, they are cheap and it was a good way to find out if he was "interested" in this hobby before we went and spent proper money on one for him
Cheers, Craig

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
Our playground for the last few hours. Had more than enough to keep the boy and I amused for a few hours, plenty to go back to. Mostly sandstone and plenty that was too big for the wrangler. Looking forward to getting back in there again......with a few other trucks next time

Cheers, Craig

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
Looking at getting one of these, any comments? good? bad?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370968652604&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:AU:1123

hey mate a good friend of mine bought this one for his son for xmas I will let you know how he goes with it.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-10-HSP-BRUSHLESS-TOP-11-1v-3S-Lipo-PRO-Buggy-2-4-GHz-Radio-Remote-Control-RC-B-/261342606685?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item3cd93bb55d

I did a bit of research on them for him couldn't find a lot of people saying bad things about them really.  I think most people that would knock them do so cause they like what they have hence losi, traxxas.  My mate brought the one he got for his some over to me for me to check it out as he knows little about these things really for the money you can't go wrong.  Things like servo's are cheap and easy to upgrade. plastic carriers or spindles if they break easy not much you can do about that as they probably don't make alloy upgrade ones like they do for brand name cars.

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »
there maybe something in this 'don't drink and drive' thing,, drove my hsp camper into the wall and lost a huge chunck off the protective suspension cover this arvo, hopefully theres a repacement for the cover  otherwise it's upgrade time, always need more speed and maybe a some type of pedestrian front air bag system,,,, grrrr more money
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
Well some good news.

getting closer to actually having a working car:
Still waiting on a fuel tank from ebay.
Fit a receiver
Potentially new battery
Fit the exhaust
And add fuel.... lets hope it works!!

HoMEr

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2013, 06:07:32 AM »
Well some good news.

Fit a receiver
Potentially new battery
Fit the exhaust

HoMEr

Love the idea of a fuel type of car. Can't wait to see some video
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
Well this R/C hobby is a can of worms  >:D

I've just ordered wheelie bars for both the Monster Jam Traxxas trucks as with decent batteries in them they'll do a flip on full power launches.  Took 'em to the local park the other day and geez they fly ...

But my son is often "trying" to crawl over things with it (And failing, since the trucks are 2WD).  Might be time to look for a pair of Axial Wraiths  :cheers:  My wife will scream when I suggest two of them  ;D
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »
I think I need to buy one of these jiggers for my son..........(he's 24 ;D ;D)
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Marschy

« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
I used to be a member of a model plane RC club.

The electronics they are adding to model aircraft now is truly staggering.

Do you realise that the average punter can now fly a fully UAV capable aircraft for under a grand. They have features in quad copters such as auto takeoff and landing, flying autonomously between waypoints, return to home and return and land should the transmitter fail.

I'm waiting on a kit to arrive from China for a F450 DJI knockoff that i'm going to setup as a 'First Person View' vehicle. Just waiting for it to arrive.

F450 Quadcopter

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »

Well some good news.

Fit a receiver
Potentially new battery
Fit the exhaust

HoMEr

Did you buy this as a kit? As I thought these only came as ready to run, in my younger days I put one together from a kit and that was as much fun as driving it, but everything including the nitro powered cars seem to only come as RTR? Unless I'm missing something........

Sent from my mobile communication device using Tapatalk
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »
Did you buy this as a kit? As I thought these only came as ready to run, in my younger days I put one together from a kit and that was as much fun as driving it, but everything including the nitro powered cars seem to only come as RTR? Unless I'm missing something........

Sent from my mobile communication device using Tapatalk

This was an RTR. But being fussy and the fact it hadn't moved in 3 years I decided that a clean up was necessary ( I'm glad I did as I found a few broken parts).

Plus I enjoy working on them as much as I do driving them.

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »
I used to be a member of a model plane RC club.

The electronics they are adding to model aircraft now is truly staggering.

Do you realise that the average punter can now fly a fully UAV capable aircraft for under a grand. They have features in quad copters such as auto takeoff and landing, flying autonomously between waypoints, return to home and return and land should the transmitter fail.

I'm waiting on a kit to arrive from China for a F450 DJI knockoff that i'm going to setup as a 'First Person View' vehicle. Just waiting for it to arrive.

F450 Quadcopter

You mean like this one?

This is the one that I got for Christmas. I am waiting on some new motors to come to give me a greater lift capacity for my GoPro and will be using the old motors for the son and I to build our own projects.
I think I could build one for about $200 without the FPV gear. FPV is maybe another $200 depending on options.
That is if you already have a radio Tx and batteries.

Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »
This is what I'm looking at next. Quadcopters. (Does the spending ever end!!!!!!!  >:D >:D )

Looking at something to use with the gopro for some aerial filming.

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Marschy

« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
That's pretty much what I've just purchased. I'm looking at 1200tvl camera's (780 HD) with either a 2.8-12mm or 9-22mm lens rather than wide angle. These camera's are only around $40 US on Aliexpress.

However I think the wide angle will be advantageous with FPV.

I'm looking at some 1200kv motors and SBEC ESC's as well for that extra lift and lower power consumption with the SBEC ESC. Also looking at DVR modules with SD cards on Aliexpress to record pretty close to the camera rather than losing image quality after it is transmitted to the receiver.

All this adds a big burden to the flight battery, so I'm going to power all the video/AV transmitter from a separate battery, hence the bigger motors. Don't know whether it will be worth getting 4S motors and ESC's or just high capacity 3S batteries, any advise here would be welcome.

Quad copters are bloody easy to fly, and due to the miriad of knock offs you can get from China, bloody cheap as well.

When I used to fly fixed wing, a trainer and radio set me back close to $1000 about 10 years ago. How things have changed.

Cheers, Marschy

Marschy

« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »
I think I could build one for about $200 without the FPV gear. FPV is maybe another $200 depending on options.
That is if you already have a radio Tx and batteries.

Add about $80-$120 for either a 6 or 9 channel 2.4 ghz digital radio. Cheap as chips. These get good reviews. There are also mods on youtube showing how to convert the AA batteries for the transmitter to Li-Po.

FlySky FS-T6

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »
That's pretty much what I've just purchased. I'm looking at 1200tvl camera's (780 HD) with either a 2.8-12mm or 9-22mm lens rather than wide angle. These camera's are only around $40 US on Aliexpress.

However I think the wide angle will be advantageous with FPV.

I'm looking at some 1200kv motors and SBEC ESC's as well for that extra lift and lower power consumption with the SBEC ESC. Also looking at DVR modules with SD cards on Aliexpress to record pretty close to the camera rather than losing image quality after it is transmitted to the receiver.

All this adds a big burden to the flight battery, so I'm going to power all the video/AV transmitter from a separate battery, hence the bigger motors. Don't know whether it will be worth getting 4S motors and ESC's or just high capacity 3S batteries, any advise here would be welcome.

Quad copters are bloody easy to fly, and due to the miriad of knock offs you can get from China, bloody cheap as well.

When I used to fly fixed wing, a trainer and radio set me back close to $1000 about 10 years ago. How things have changed.

Cheers, Marschy

Have a look at the T motor 2216-11 900kv. They will give you up to 1200g lift per motor which will do the job.
They will also work with a 3s or 4s battery.
I got mine from made to fly in NSW for $38ea which is the best price I have seen. Most prices are around $50-60ea.
If you use a camera gimbal for stability then you would need at least 7 ch radio. I have a Spektrum DX8 and AR8000Rx

Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
I'm thinking rather than a pan and tilt gimbal for the camera, of getting a flight control board with altitude hold that adds stability anyway and only using a tilting gimbal which I can still use with a 6 channel radio. Can't see the purpose of a panning gimbal on a quadcopter, when with a bit of rudder you have pan anyway.

If that doesn't work, I'll probably look at the FlySky 9 channel transmitter for around $120 US.

Marschy

« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
These are the motors I'm looking at

MT28-30 1200KV brushless motor

and the ESC's

30A SBEC/UBEC Brushless ESC

Marschy

« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
Here's a bit of footage of me stuffing around with my cheapy Kogan UFO quadcopter on Xmas Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhpJ5uYrZY

This is with a crappy video dvr module that came with the quadcopter, looking forward to better results with a better resolution camera and more stable copter.

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
For the experts on the Quadcopters here.

Obviously the ones you guys have posted seem a lot cheaper.
Just after thoughts on this one, suits me as it's gopro ready - http://www.modelflight.com.au/helicopters/blade-350-qx-quadcopter-bnf.html

I'm thinking of using it with a spectrum DX6i transmitter.

Land vehicles I know, but aircraft are a new concept for me.

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Offline gec

• Swag User
  • 5.7 V8 Powered GQ Patrol
Ex Western Patrol Club Member, growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Marschy

« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
Hello Homer,

For me, the Model Flight one is expensive for it's size and Model Flight are not my goto place in Adelaide unless I need something quickly as they are quite expensive. The radio you suggest is a good one. Have a look on youtube for '450 quadcopter'.

Although the Model Flight picture shows a gimballed GoPro, I would think a 350 size quad would struggle with a GoPro slung under it.

The 450 size seem to be quite popular with FPV fans. The 'Flamewheel' knock offs are cheap and easy to repair, you can get complete frames for around $12 US plus shipping if you have a bingle.

Cheers, Marschy

All roadsters are sooooo 2 dimensional. Unless you own a Delorian.

Back to the Future Part 2 (1/12) Movie CLIP - We Don't Need Roads (1989) HD

Marschy

« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »
For the experts on the Quadcopters here.

Obviously the ones you guys have posted seem a lot cheaper.
Just after thoughts on this one, suits me as it's gopro ready - http://www.modelflight.com.au/helicopters/blade-350-qx-quadcopter-bnf.html

I'm thinking of using it with a spectrum DX6i transmitter.

Land vehicles I know, but aircraft are a new concept for me.

Also look at the props, your going to break a few, the Blade 350 has custom props, when you break one or two after a dicky landing, you're going to have to find suitable replacement props or be willing to replace them through Model Flight for, I expect, a pretty hefty price. Same with the body and motor arms, if you have to replace them, you are going to be spending some money.

The larger the quad, the more stable they are, same with fixed wing RC models. The dimensions are normally from one motor, skip a motor and measure to next motor (12 o'clock and 6 o'clock).

Your radio should handle a quad no problem, use it with the throttle at 50% at first, then dial it up until you feel more comfortable.

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »
Hello Homer,

For me, the Model Flight one is expensive for it's size and Model Flight are not my goto place in Adelaide unless I need something quickly as they are quite expensive. The radio you suggest is a good one. Have a look on youtube for '450 quadcopter'.

Although the Model Flight picture shows a gimballed GoPro, I would think a 350 size quad would struggle with a GoPro slung under it.

The 450 size seem to be quite popular with FPV fans. The 'Flamewheel' knock offs are cheap and easy to repair, you can get complete frames for around $12 US plus shipping if you have a bingle.

Cheers, Marschy

Thanks Marschy,

That's answered a lot of questions and created more confusion than my trip to model flight yesterday lol.

HoMEr

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer