Author Topic: Remote Control Cars  (Read 106135 times)

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Remote Control Cars
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »
This is the unit I bought of Mild to Wild RC

http://www.mildtowildrc.com.au/chargers/chargers/thunder-power-tp610c-ac-dc-charger.html

Does LiPO, Nicad, NiMH, LiFE and lead acid. Charges at up to 10A but I am doing it at 1C at the moment. Does do both 240V and 12V which was key for what I was looking for. Have only done 4 batteries with it so far, but they are all charged

Great charger only downfall is 80 circuit power it will only charge a 5 or 6s lipo at 4 amp just depends on what u are charging and how fast u want to charge it.

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
yeah at the moment I am only doing 2S LiPOs and NiMH. I can not really see myself doing any more than 4S at the most in the near future, so it should do me for a bit anyway
Cheers, Craig

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »
Well, it was the boys birthday yesterday........which means we both got our presents and went for a wheel...........lol

The big battery I got for his weighed a bit much, so this morning we had to make some mods. I made up some 8mm nylon coil spacers and did a rear quarter cut and all is now good except it binds a little on the tyres at full articulation. He is stoked and it has been running now nearly non stop for about 3 hours

Mine, I am very happy with as well. It is definitely a lot of fun to drive and is going to take a bit of work to learn all the technicalities. I have already ditched the rear mounted spare and when I get some longer bolts, we will relocate the battery over the front wheels for a bit better weight distribution.

and we did a bit of flexing...................................lol

Cheers, Craig

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
Nice flex, do you have a link to where you bought the small one?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
Nice flex, do you have a link to where you bought the small one?

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/p-7149-new-rtr-remote-control-4x4-rc-rock-crawler-4wd-truck.aspx

it out flexes the jeep by miles. Has a ton of articulation, but is high enough that it does have a tendency to lie down when it gets close to its limit
Cheers, Craig

Offline sierrajim

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »
Check out thecrawlpit.com for some info and mods for these things too. Helpful site

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
this is some pics of my collection of early Tamiya cars I have I would put the pics on here but I can't remember how. I don't use any of these they are all for show I made the cabinet that they are in too.  THe ones I use are all losi.

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=114339&sid=38157

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »
are the lipos you have or gonna get 2s 3s 4s etc?  will the quad copter run one or two batts? the imax copies you are talking about are only 50w circuit power.  volts x amps = watts meaning if you have a 4s battery the end charge will be 16.8 so 16.8 x 2.9 amp = about 50w (being the circuit power of the charger) all this means if that no matter how many amps you set the charge rate to it will only goto about 2.9 amp hope that makes sense.  It doesn't matter at all will just take longer to charge the battery.  if you were charging a 5s or 6s it would be even slower.  I believe most of the nanotech batts can be charged at 5c meaning 5x capacity so if you have 5000mah means you can charge it at 25 amp.  Need to spend big money to get a charger to do this and will always be 12v only when you get to the high end units.

this is not cheap but it is one of the only high power 240v chargers it has a 200w circuit power.
I am will be using 4s 5000mah and only a single battery at a time.
Still looking for a charger but may have a contact to chat to this week. Any other advice is good for me.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
Decided to buy the cheapo crawler for my son, he's 3 so if he gets into it he can have my Stampede and I'll upgrade :laugh:

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline CampAround

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The count down is on...
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
I'm about to purchase a hsp brontosaurus or hunter for my six yr old. Went into rc hobbies today and would like to buy from a bricks and mortar store but they are cheaper online. I think they have an eBay store anyway so if I buy from them thy still get the money.

Question is, how do I know which batteries to buy for this particular unit if I want a spare, and same gor charger if I want a faster charger?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
The 'crawler king' turned up. For $50 it's a great starter RC car for young kids. Fast enough for them but not stupid fast and it can climb obstacles ok, large turning circle is about the only downside. Once my son masters this one he can move onto the Stampede.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
1/4 scale speedway is on again tonight at Elimbah, on Brisbane's north side. Starts at 3pm

And entry is free  :cup:

Elimbah Raceway Promo 2 - 1/4 Scale Speedway
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »
Went for a drive down to Nambour today and went in Mischief and Mayhem as well as Toyworld Hobbie Store just for a bit of a look around and to meet a couple of guys I have been talking to over Facebook regarding crawlers and crawling.

Well the first round of upgrade parts have been bought and I have a bit of spanner time ahead of me for the "little truck"

However, on the way home we stopped for a bit of a play whilst the little truck is still stock......

Cheers, Craig

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2013, 07:27:29 AM »
and a couple of videos of us just being clowns, playing around

Wrangler donuts

SDV 0570 Small | Large

playing with a mates son mini Losi

SDV 0577 Small | Large

but the wrangler gets its revenge..........lol

SDV 0578 Small | Large
Cheers, Craig

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Does Blake get a go, Craig??... ;D ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
Now I know why I put the Hyper 7 away in the shed all those years ago. Everytime I drive, it breaks. Just mashed a front diff & the driveshaft fell out. I'm thinking of going with a 1/5th Rovan Baja. Had a drive of my brothers yesterday & loved it. Especially the fact that it runs on $1.60/litre 2 strike & not $18/l nitro.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
Does Blake get a go, Craig??... ;D ;D ;D

Blake has his own......he managed to smash the steering servo yesterday......he does not get to drive the wrangler much, he is a little to heavy on the "right foot" for my liking yet (can that be inherited)......but he is improving
Cheers, Craig

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
not having much luck with all my bits so far today......they all seam to be slightly the wrong size  >:(

Will have to call the hobby shop tomorrow and find out if they are or if I am doing something wrong. It does not help that there are no instructions for the upgrade bits
Cheers, Craig

Offline Red Dog 4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
not having much luck with all my bits so far today......they all seam to be slightly the wrong size  >:(

Will have to call the hobby shop tomorrow and find out if they are or if I am doing something wrong. It does not help that there are no instructions for the upgrade bits

This is a great source of info, and might give you and idea of what can be done as well  - http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/

This section is for the SCX10 so might help.

The Rig- 97 GQ Coil Cab with lots of goodies
The Trailer- 2002 Castaway camper with lots of mods....
Quad Build -http://cfmoto-forum.com/cforce-500-h-o/cforce-550ho-from-australia/

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
This is a great source of info, and might give you and idea of what can be done as well  - http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/

This section is for the SCX10 so might help.

Cheers mate......you have just given me another outlet for when I am supposed to be working  ;D
Cheers, Craig

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
Couldn't help myself on COTD, the missus said 'only Porsche you'll own' :(

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/32161/product/rastar-rc-1-14-size-white-porsche-27mhz-23422

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
I also had an offer to steer one of those this week...... As much as really would have liked to, I'd be much happier to break one like yours. Very tempting though ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »
Roof rack fitted and spare tyre moved from the back to on the back of the roof. Also you can not see it here, but the o-rings that came with the roof rack have been fitted to the top of the body mounts so the body is much more rigid on the chassis

The suspension links were changed out to Wraith units as well as the front has been converted to four link. An added bonus of running the longer Wraith units is the front axle has been moved forward by about 10mm. Also because the uppers are longer than previous, the diffs have been rotated by about 10deg and drive shaft angles are even straighter than standard.....win,win

With the new servo, and the extended wheel base, the front cross member had to be removed and this is the usual spot fro the front battery mount. I had seen this done elsewhere, so I made up the brackets and mounted it sideways. Also relocated all the electrics to where the battery was in the back in the first place

I had to knock up a couple of aluminium brackets for support for the relocated battery

A new radio was on the cards as I could not get the adjustment out of the stock one with the new steering servo. Low speed control is much better now

Well the boy has now destroyed 2 servos on his cheapy.

Seeing as I changed the servo on mine, I made up some spacers and have managed to fit the original Axial servo from mine in place his 1/16 one. Hopefully this will last a bit longer

Cheers, Craig

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »
Quality spanner time with the boy fixing his breakages........ to me, this is what it is all about

Cheers, Craig

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2013, 09:07:19 AM »
Awesome Craig, looks like the RC bug has really hit :cup:

Work - Outback
Play - Prado