Author Topic: Are Times Changing?  (Read 7807 times)

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Are Times Changing?
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 05:36:10 PM »
It is a terrible thing to say on Facebook...."only because Centrelink is making me" oh dear.

I dont want to insult any younger swaggers but I'm most likely going to.....the younger generation is definitely different and I'm sure my parents said the same of my generation in the day.

But I dont see myself that far removed from my parents generation at all, not like the younger kids are from my generation. I wear my pants pulled up for a start, Im constantly telling my son to pull his up LOL

I have been accused of being old fashioned many times during my life and maybe I am and maybe thats why I don't see myself a lot different than my father for instance. He was a lot harder than me and thats about the only difference really.
The 20 odd year old people I know through work and socially definitely see a lot of things different to me. I dont want to tar all younger people with the same brush but in my experience they are a lot less respectful of everyone really, they dont respect their parents as they should, they dont respect authority or elders, they swear inappropriately and the biggest difference is they really lack self awareness, which shows in what that young lady wrote on Facebook.
They are often referred to as the handout generation and its a good description. I know a lot of a persons make up is due to their upbringing but a lot of it also seems to be the culture they are making for them selves as well.

I will use one of my children as an example because I feel I have tried my best to bring them up with some old fashioned values and as a rule they a generally polite and well mannered to others but the hand out culture hasnt missed them. They will ask for things thats just too much to ask for, yet when they are explained that what they are asking for is something you would get for a birthday or xmas or get a job and buy it yourself they are usually quick to point out a friend who's parents have bought it for them! So I tell them to hang around with families who are poor like us.... ;)

I could go on and on LOL

Totally agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
on a lighter note ,,for us Mexicans    ;D

All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline DRB120

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »

I agree with the comments we don't know the full story however life was never meant to be easy. She just needs to suck it up and get on with looking after the soon to be baby rather then whinge about how hard it is to get a hand out.

2 months before my 19th birthday my son was born, rather than take centrelink I was working 2 jobs just to put food on the table, I can remember weeks where after rent,bills and food I had $1 to my name. Rather than whinge and expect a handout I kept working and got through. At 24, 3 weeks before I was married to my new partner I was diagnosed with cancer, had chemo for 6 months and couldn't work for just over 12 months. We had a mortgage and bills to pay, but again we worked through it, couldn't get handouts from centrelink, we had 47K owing on credit cards by the time I got back to work.

The above is why I have minimal sympathy for people that end up in these situations, yes its unfortunate, but that's the hand you were dealt and you just have to roll with it, most people would have no idea I have gone through all that and only be 30 because I have worked my arse off rather than wait for someone to fix up my problems and pay my way through life. I just wish others my age and younger would stop whinging and giving the rest of us a bad name.
2005 Prado 120 & 2013 Jawa Offshore 1

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
Where is the like button
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
Here was a link to the US stats-

"The link between teen parenthood and a life of poverty
caught the American public’s attention in the 70’s when
the nation became concerned about the “epidemic” of
teenage pregnancy. The relationship between early parenthood
and family poverty is strong. National
KidsCount data show that, among young people who
delay pregnancy until they are 20 years of age, graduate
from high school, and are married, only 8 percent live in
poverty. However, of those who fail to meet these three
goals, 78 percent live below the poverty line."

Pretty much the same statistical outcome here you'd expect and we've come a long way from my folks' time where they couldn't even contemplate a society that paid you not to work, let alone subsidised teen pregnancy. Only married widows got support payments and most had lost breadwinners at war. You got pregnant without any means of support and either your family supported you or you adopted out, bearing in mind there was no sure way sheeting home paternity and support from that quarter.

A strict moral code and one that saw the moral majority want to rescue the half-caste offspring of what the 'good society' viewed as low moral white men taking advantage of poor aboriginal women, who almost universally became outcasts from their own culture as a result.

By the late 60s and early 70s my generation would pooh pooh all that and sweep it away with some unintended consequences and a rewrite of the history books. Such social change never occurs in a vacuum and with penicillin conquering STDs and the Pill, plus a remarkable period of post war prosperity, the social attitudinal change of a bulging youth demographic was fairly understandable. Interestingly enough the AIDS threat impacted such 'free love' thinking for a while until the threat abated but there is now some thought emerging a new threat from antibiotics resistant STDs may see a swing back again to the moral code of my parents' days.

In any case, despite all my generation's pooh poohing of our parents moral code, most of us  followed their path to lifetime success more or less and we teach our kids the same.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:36:43 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.