Author Topic: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks  (Read 33302 times)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 06:40:31 AM »
Heaps available but they dont really need them, heaps of power available as stock

GG

So would it a relatively easy fix to lose the turbo and just run natural aspirated....at least until  the finances allow a turbo replacement?
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 07:48:59 AM »

So would it a relatively easy fix to lose the turbo and just run natural aspirated....at least until  the finances allow a turbo replacement?

Never heard of it being done, with all the electrics and hoses connected to them it would be difficult. The oil lines would need to be undone and bypassed, it would also run pretty rough I think

GG

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »
Yeah sounds turbo related . Turbos and injectors are really the only things that can usually give grief if there well maintained . Keith I live in the blue mtns , I am tied up with commitments till Thursday but after that if you need your trailer towed back or a lift let me know mate .

That is most unbelievably kind offer Jim. Bit we thought we might hang around and be tourists for a week or so in our rental car, which the NRMA Premium thingy we are a member of is paying for.  There's lots to see around the district and this morning we are off to look at a fish fossil museum at Canowindra, which is heritage listed.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

We are in the Canobolas caravan park, which is pleasant enough. But we are stuck cheek by jowl with other rigs and are rationing the use of our diesel water heater because of the noise. Mind you, the big rig behind us has an aircon which sounds like an Atlas rocket, while our little domestic split system aircon is very quiet. We are as warm as toast, but snow is expected on Friday.

Caravanners are a kind lot. When we arrived towed by a very kind local mechanic, our 15 amp lead was not long enough to reach the power pole. Within two minutes our neighbour had come out with  along lead for us to use. We  got our own 25 metre lead at Bunnings yesterday morning.

Jim, thank you so much for the kind offer. But we think we will be okay.

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »
Never heard of it being done, with all the electrics and hoses connected to them it would be difficult. The oil lines would need to be undone and bypassed, it would also run pretty rough I think

GG

Plus sensors and fuel mapping in the pooter.  :o

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »

Engine mapping designed with turbo in situ, ECU would spit the dummy, engine may or may not run but from what I have read with Prados
is if the turbo carks it you get virtually no power from the engine at all.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2020, 10:31:42 AM »
Sounds like your in good spirits Keith.   Have a great break and the car will get sorted. :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »

If only it was that easy. Just to bypass the turbos is a major and you'd have a zillion fault codes up that would make it run in limp mode...if at all.

To replace a turbo at a dealer is usually an engine out job ( other places can do it without removing it ), but you are hamstrung if it's at a dealer.
Very unusual to have a major fault like that without pre warning.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »
All good Keith , could be worse places to be stuck . Offer stands anyway if it doesn’t work out. Hoping it is just a turbo and they can get a reconditioned one of and get you going ?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim
The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2020, 05:59:36 PM »
I am not sure whether a Toyo dealer will install reconditioned parts. We'll have to wait and see.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »
I am not sure whether a Toyo dealer will install reconditioned parts. We'll have to wait and see.
Keith

Keith, just thought I would mention that there is a good diesel workshop out in Orange.

http://www.dieselandturbo.com.au/index.htm

I had then do new injectors and pump service on my old 1KZ Prado ( non common rail) a few years back (more like 6 -7 years ago) when I lived in the Blue Mts. May be worth a chat after Toyota has had a look to get a second opinion.
Russ

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2020, 07:37:12 PM »
Good idea. Thanks Russ.
Keith '

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2020, 08:58:37 PM »
Quote from: KeithB

I think once its apart your pretty stuck either way ?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2020, 10:47:46 PM »
I think once its apart your pretty stuck either way ?

It should have fault codes showing...they should have an idea without putting a spanner on it.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »
It should have fault codes showing...they should have an idea without putting a spanner on it.

Not always the case, trust me i know

GG

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2020, 08:03:20 AM »
Not always the case, trust me i know

GG

Did you do a turbo on yours ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2020, 05:54:46 PM »
Looks like a busted passenger side turbo, which is not all that uncommon. They are compression testing it tomorrow.
It was compression tested when I bought it four years ago and it tested perfectly. We have had a snorkel on since then and have done very little dusty driving.
Looks like the engine will have to come out.
Keith

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2020, 06:48:28 PM »
That is most unbelievably kind offer Jim. Bit we thought we might hang around and be tourists for a week or so in our rental car, which the NRMA Premium thingy we are a member of is paying for.  There's lots to see around the district and this morning we are off to look at a fish fossil museum at Canowindra, which is heritage listed.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Keith

Is your hire car off road friendly ?  as there is a nice picnic spot with a drive to a look out at Nangar National Park which is out toward Eugowra, well worth a drive, last time l was there the roads were good although there would be a bit of water out there now.

Eugowra it's self has a few murals in the town

"Ophir" just out of town, not to bad for a drive to fill in time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:33:06 PM by 6knights »
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2020, 09:51:40 PM »
Any news? or is it that bad that you just don't want to talk about it?

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
Any news? or is it that bad that you just don't want to talk about it?

Reply #40....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2020, 07:06:17 AM »
Same as my mates, driven lightly then off on a highway towing run. Left turbo picks up a bit of sludge that comes loose from the undersized journals. I hope this isn’t what happened to yours.

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2020, 08:59:16 AM »
The historic village of carcoar would be a good day out as well,  it's a small village set in a  lovely location. Another one is the Japanese gardens at Cowra if you want to travel that far afield.

Mount Canobolas is another  obvious one , you might have to go up before the weekend though ......brrrr it will be cold then.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:02:19 AM by 6knights »
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2020, 09:54:01 AM »
The historic village of carcoar would be a good day out as well,  it's a small village set in a  lovely location. Another one is the Japanese gardens at Cowra if you want to travel that far afield.

Mount Canobolas is another  obvious one , you might have to go up before the weekend though ......brrrr it will be cold then.

Thanks heaps. We did the round trip Cownawindra-Cowra-Carcoar on Sunday, but it was getting a bit late to stop at Carcoar. Walked the Japanese gardens and the remains of the prison camp at Cowra. We'd love to come back and see the gardens in springtime. Went up the mountain yesterday arvo and you are right. It was bloody freezing. Denise has gone off in the renter this morning go walk around the lake while I get a few little things done on the Glamper.
We are expecting to hear from the Toyota Dealer around lunchtime.
Does it really take 4 hours to compression test an LC200?
Keith

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
Maybe check out gturbo if you have to go down that path. I think they do exchange and new.
The following users thanked this post: fc_holden

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »
Same as my mates, driven lightly then off on a highway towing run. Left turbo picks up a bit of sludge that comes loose from the undersized journals.

Can you explain this a bit ?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »
I got an after lunch call from the Orange Toyo dealer, expecting to learn of the results of the promised compression test, only to be told that they can't actually do the test till Thursday afternoon. They said that they could not say when any repair would start or finish, that the engine was probably buggered through dust damage and that it would probably take several weeks to get parts, quite possibly from Japan.

When the dummy stopped bouncing around the inside of the caravan, I called up Mechanic B. He's the one with a RH turbo on the shelf and a crate engine on the floor. The engine will have to come out and it looks like about $5K to replace the turbo and do a prior compression test. It will probably cost a bit more than that because of the age of the vehicle and all of the extras under the bonnet. We booked a tilt tray to pick the vehicle up from Toyota tomorrow morning.

I then called up my own mechanic in Sydney, who has serviced the vehicle every 5,000km in the four years or so that I have owned it. He said in no way was there any dust damage to the motor. It compression tested perfect when I bought it.

So, with a bit of luck, it will be a simple turbo change, inspection of other turbo and overall check of the engine on the shop floor. There is a very tiny leak in the steering rack, which is only going to get worse, and it might be a good time to get that attended to as well.

Nothing you can't fix with money. The NRMA Premium Service is paying for our car rental for the time being up to $700 plus $700 for accommodation. I'll ask tomorrow if we can roll all of that into car hire.

Keith

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:33:06 PM by KeithB »