Author Topic: Australian Made from now on, who's in?  (Read 28008 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Australian Made from now on, who's in?
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
Well bugger me....

I've just started taking all the front bumper and sheet metal off the donor car.  :'(
This a 2007 ot thereabouts ute..... that's only 13 years old.

If this is the best Ford Australia can manage, they should hang their heads in shame.

Undoing the left front mudguard..... fukk me, a slice of white bread would be stronger.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2020, 09:42:53 AM »
Quote from: Fizzie
While the push to do things here is (hopefully) getting stronger.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/andrew-liveris-manufacturing-in-australia-after-coronavirus/12387448

"The consumer, for the first time in years, has been asking, 'Is this made in Australia? Can I get an Australian-made product?'" he says.

Sounds lovely, warm and fuzzy doesn't it ??? 
But sadly I'm guessing the hundreds who were out on the weekend .. I mean in lockdown at the Supercenter, shopping center, chaddy, fountain gate, etc etc , I'd hazard a guess that maybe 1% may have asked if it was 100% Aussie made
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »
"The consumer, for the first time in years, has been asking, 'Is this made in Australia? Can I get an Australian-made product?'" he says.

Sounds lovely, warm and fuzzy doesn't it ??? 
But sadly I'm guessing the hundreds who were out on the weekend .. I mean in lockdown at the Supercenter, shopping center, chaddy, fountain gate, etc etc , I'd hazard a guess that maybe 1% may have asked if it was 100% Aussie made
Small inroads is the way. Nothing is going to happen overnight, getting a lot of the manufacturing done back here will take a long time and we have to encourage it.
It's not only Oz that has this idea but other countries have also realised the danger of the dragon. They might have just exported one thing too many from Wuhan.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
Small inroads is the way. Nothing is going to happen overnight, getting a lot of the manufacturing done back here will take a long time and we have to encourage it.
It's not only Oz that has this idea but other countries have also realised the danger of the dragon. They might have just exported one thing too many from Wuhan.

Unfortunately I cannot ever see it happen. We may see the odd business start up back in Australia but the majority will continue to operate and manufacture off shore.

Try starting up a business, buy the land, build a plant, hire staff  wages, super, holiday pay, insurance then produce a product that is reasonably priced to capture a very small market here in Australia and hope you make a profit to keep going. I would hate to attempt it. Bottom line is our market is too small to sustain alot of manufacturing in the country due to our costs.

If another virus hits or anything that can cripple the world economy then people stop buying, staff get put out off and the business struggles to even survive.

We will see other countries try and take the manufacturing monopoly off China in the future.

We will also see the new norm of alot of businesses having their staff work from home.

Curious, would we be still happy to buy imports if they were manufactured in Thailand rather than China, I bet nearly all would say yes, as long as it's not China.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:27:39 PM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »
Curious, would we be still happy to buy imports if they were manufactured in Thailand rather than China, I bet nearly all would say yes, as long as it's not China.

Yep, Mrs has started looking at clothes labels & picking stuff made in India, Thailand, Bangladesh - pretty well anywhere as long as it's not China!

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2020, 03:58:31 PM »
Yep, Mrs has started looking at clothes labels & picking stuff made in India, Thailand, Bangladesh - pretty well anywhere as long as it's not China!

Hence it's not really a push to bring back manufacturing in Australia again but a push to boycott buying from China...

I rest my case  ;D

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »
Hence it's not really a push to bring back manufacturing in Australia again but a push to boycott buying from China...

I rest my case  ;D

Mark

If all they want to do is not buy Chinese, I don't see the logic in it .
It sounds like a lot are anti china, but the stuff you buy from some of those other 3rd world countries is no better quality and the workers are probably worse off than the chinese workers.

It's a free world, and not buying stuff from china as an individual is your own choice, but a government to say we won't  buy off them because we don't like them is suicide ....won't happen..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »

I rest my case  ;D

Mark

Ya got me, Mark ;D

But in her defence, (& as others have said), point us towards Oz-made clothes ??? :'(

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »
Quote from: Fizzie
But in her defence, (& as others have said), point us towards Oz-made clothes ??? :'(
I think that was the argument on page 1 and what Mark is getting at.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigpickle

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2020, 11:33:32 PM »
The iron ore, coal and steel industries are a perfect example of the moronic Australian view towards local manufacturing.
Australia produces 5.6 million tonnes of steel per annum. China produces 996 million tonnes per annum. A large percentage of the Chinese steel is produced using Australian iron ore and coking coal.
The 9th largest commodity imported into Australia, annually, is steel products with much coming from China.
In the 1960's, West Australian mining entrepreneur Lang Hancock proposed building a railway from the WA Pilbara mines to the Qld coal mining area. He proposed to build 2 steel making plants. One in each state. A train would rail iron ore from WA to Qld to feed a steel mill and return with coal to fire a steel mill in WA.
This would have been of huge benefit to Australia as a whole and WA and Qld in particular as well as unlimited opportunities for industries along the transport corridor.
Why did it not happen? Simple. The WA Premier at the time, Sir Charles Court, never thought of it and did not want Hancock to gain the recognition he though should be his. Political jealously pure and simple.
With the morons we have had and still have in Australian Parliaments we will never get anywhere

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2020, 07:41:36 AM »

I rest my case  ;D

Mark
Well said McGirr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »
The iron ore, coal and steel industries are a perfect example of the moronic Australian view towards local manufacturing.
Australia produces 5.6 million tonnes of steel per annum. China produces 996 million tonnes per annum. A large percentage of the Chinese steel is produced using Australian iron ore and coking coal.
The 9th largest commodity imported into Australia, annually, is steel products with much coming from China.
In the 1960's, West Australian mining entrepreneur Lang Hancock proposed building a railway from the WA Pilbara mines to the Qld coal mining area. He proposed to build 2 steel making plants. One in each state. A train would rail iron ore from WA to Qld to feed a steel mill and return with coal to fire a steel mill in WA.
This would have been of huge benefit to Australia as a whole and WA and Qld in particular as well as unlimited opportunities for industries along the transport corridor.
Why did it not happen? Simple. The WA Premier at the time, Sir Charles Court, never thought of it and did not want Hancock to gain the recognition he though should be his. Political jealously pure and simple.
With the morons we have had and still have in Australian Parliaments we will never get anywhere

This proposal was revisited a few years ago on a larger scale.

Never got off the ground then either, as the investors backed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2020, 08:25:26 AM »
Ya got me, Mark ;D

Mate fully agree, as far as I know there are none.

Mark

Offline tombie

• Tent User
Australian Made from now on, who's in?
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2020, 08:28:37 AM »
Mate fully agree, as far as I know there are none.

Mark

And seems we weren’t doing right by the workers either.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/buying-ethical-clothing-in-australia-can-be-complicated/12046304

Here’s a list of some Aussie made clothing

https://www.finder.com.au/brands-made-in-australia

Not a lot of Men’s gear in those lists.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:30:40 AM by tombie »

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2020, 08:50:18 AM »
BP and Tombie, all well and good quoting a great concept that didn’t happen for whatever reason, but cast your mind back 20-30 years ago. We had a steel mill in Whyalla with iron ore coming from just around the corner at Iron Knob, Iron Baron etc. We had a steel mill in Newcastle with coal just over the river in the Hunter Valley.
The steel industry (BHP) was split up in the late 90’s, with disastrous effect. I worked in the industry for 25years and watched my company drop the ball. Fabrication firms started buying ‘cheap’ steel from china and putting up with poor quality, initially. This left the mills with expensive (compared to the Chinese stuff) unsold steel in their holding yards which gradually got more and more surface rust on it, requiring additional labour (from the fabricators) to prepare it ready for a finished product. Gradually the quality from China improved, until the 00’s saw more than 50% of fabricators buying steel products from steel distributors whose primary supplier was in China, followed by tubular products and merchant bar (flat bar, round bar etc).
They are gone now. I don’t know if any of the mills are still operational, including the scrap metal mill at Rooty Hill. Like the car industry, we did it to ourselves with consumers purchasing from suppliers based on the best price. This forced the suppliers a to look elsewhere for a product that was competitive.
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
Hi!

Mills are still producing, and we’re still mining out here near Whyalla.

Our order books are full, agree we’re fighting cheap imports of Steel, although the outlook is positive with our process improvements in the manufacturing side.

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2020, 09:09:32 AM »
Happy to hear that Tombie  :D Who owns Whyalla now?
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2020, 11:11:10 AM »
Happy to hear that Tombie  :D Who owns Whyalla now?

GFG Alliance

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »
It's horrible, it looks like a virus  97%

Yeah, but what would we common people know, when compared to "marketing experts" ??? ::)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2020, 11:37:39 AM »
Yeah, but what would we common people know, when compared to "marketing experts" ??? ::)
a committee who probably had to go Overseas all expenses paid for 5 mths first, then another trip o/s to see how people shop in new york, paris, switzerland, germany, chernobyl, london, china, etc
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »
GFG Alliance

They made some pretty great announcements and had great plans for our country's future;
https://www.gfgalliance.com/what-we-do/energy/#overview

That promptly got shat on by our pigheaded federal leaders..... :(

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »
I'd love a new Aussie built car - even the Fords and Holdens werent all aussie made for years....

.... and even campers are getting thin on the ground... let alone anything clothing, or electronic, or much in the way of furniture
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home