Author Topic: Domestic Security Cameras - Wireless - Wired Recommendations  (Read 5479 times)

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Domestic Security Cameras - Wireless - Wired Recommendations
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
We've recently had an increase in suspicious activity in our neighbourhood & swmbo is getting uneasy, so am looking to get a couple of security cameras for monitoring the front of the house. We have a highset & both vehicles are in open carports.
My neighbour has a couple of wireless netgear arlo's https://www.jbhifi.com.au/features/computers-tablets/netgear-arlo/ but a bit of research through product review say they're battery hungry & with batteries about $30 a pop. (he's had his car targetted a couple of times)
There was a bloke wondering around the other morning at the neighbours & these didnt pick anything up, but i was sitting on my front vernada with my phone taking pics of him
I know SFA about this sort of stuff & looking if anyone has any real experience & suggestions. Ideally wireless, but just after something functional that will work. I could wire them in if better its just the power could be an issue
I wonder about the Swan ones from JB??? anybody use them.
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

ScarpsD40

Re: Domestic Security Cameras - Wireless - Wired Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »
Interested in same info, will watch replies with interest

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:55 PM »
I know a few guys using HikVision wired cameras, back to a dedicated PVR system with a couple of weeks recording capacity......

Wired is better because you can power the camera over the data cable that connects back to the PVR

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »
I know a few guys using HikVision wired cameras, back to a dedicated PVR system with a couple of weeks recording capacity......

Wired is better because you can power the camera over the data cable that connects back to the PVR

Had a quick look....WOW after i picked myself up off the floor, at those prices they can have the car  ;D

Probably after something a little more cost effective
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »
Best place to buy them is Aliexpress or other Chinese eBay type stores...

I'm not terribly familiar with which model is which, but there is good information on the HomeOne and Whirlpool forums

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup
The following users thanked this post: Moggy

Offline Gunsrunner

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 03:45:36 AM »
bought a cheap 8 camera wired system 5 years ago for $500 of ebay. It lasted 3 years before box died, I got a new box for $120 all good 2 years later.
The further up the ranks you go the better the recording. motion following cameras are the rage at the moment.
2014 NW VRX Pajero 3.2did
2012 Redtrack series 1 RF

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 05:54:38 AM »
There was a 8 camera and DVR set up at Aldi last week or the week before for around $250-$300. My neighbour has one and swears by it.
Myself am looking at the Swann setup something similar to this
 http://www.swann.com/au/r-swdvk-445754

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
this may be of some interest...

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/hd_security_cameras
The following users thanked this post: Moggy

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »
Search "trail camera" on ebay. We just bought one for the same reasons as you. Needed to be a stand alone unit & these seem to tick all the boxes.
Haven't set ours up yet though.
Silverfox
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Search "trail camera" on ebay. We just bought one for the same reasons as you. Needed to be a stand alone unit & these seem to tick all the boxes.
Haven't set ours up yet though.
Silverfox

which make/model did you end up getting?

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
Got the ALDI one.
It's Branded 'Cocoon'.
I've been ripped off, mine only had 4 cameras.
If you set it up completely, by giving it access to the internet, it's supposed to send you a message when the system trips an alarm.
The DVR is so small too.  The problem for me is it doesn't have markers on a time line to indicate the incidents, if any.
Real pain if your trying to randomly search for anything, or you just want to check.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
I'm on the home run of installing a 6 camera Hikvision system with NVR that will hold around a months worth of data.

Send a PM to Myswag member "Patroldude", I cant thank him enough for the advise and assistance (he's in the business).

You get what you pay for................and as the OP has eluded to, the cheap ones are just that.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

trailbasher

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
Hi

I got one of the Aldi ones a couple of years ago and it's going great.  Bit of a mission to setup the communications side, but now I can check up on the house and dog from my mobile wherever and whenever I want.

I got the wired version and just run the cables around the beams under my house.  I think each cable was 20m long.  Only possible issue is that someone could cut the wires, but I guess that level of organisation means they are getting in regardless.

Hope that helps

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
 This the ebay number for what i got. Vimmel brand from "best security systems"  $120.
Silverfox
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »
I'm on the home run of installing a 6 camera Hikvision system with NVR that will hold around a months worth of data.

Send a PM to Myswag member "Patroldude", I cant thank him enough for the advise and assistance (he's in the business).

You get what you pay for................and as the OP has eluded to, the cheap ones are just that.
Are these systems "always on" or are they motion detection then fire up. Also do they loop the recording when full or do you have to physically delete recordings.
I found a 4 camera set with 3tb hd for $1450, probably more than i would've hoped to spend but if the gear is good then maybe better option long term. I did notice it came with 3yr warranty as well
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Gazza00

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
Another plug for HKVision.
Got 5 IR cameras externally & one internal with a eight station 4Tb recorder.
You can pretty much program them anyway you want to, but the externals run 27/7 with loop recording. From memory it stores 3-4 weeks before it starts to overwrite itself.
The internal camera is set for the 5 day week times we aren't home - basically 8.30 - 5.30
 As they say, you get what you pay for and the playback is excellent on this unit. You can 'cut & past' whatever you want to a portable disk if you need to show the cops anything for example.
I could set it up to display remotely on the phone, but haven't bothered yet.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
Are these systems "always on" or are they motion detection then fire up. Also do they loop the recording when full or do you have to physically delete recordings.
I found a 4 camera set with 3tb hd for $1450, probably more than i would've hoped to spend but if the gear is good then maybe better option long term. I did notice it came with 3yr warranty as well

As Gazza has already said, using the software, you can set them up to suit your needs (but I'm still a learner driver).You can have 24/7 full record, or time laps, or motion activated. You can set up a zone or a line within the image to trigger motion detect recording (or alarm), you can set it up for remote viewing (but that will require a static IP address from your Telco at around $10 per month). I'm impressed with the quality of the image, and their night time capabilities. I've got a wide angle camera at the end of the driveway as well as at each point of entry to the house, and I've got a zoomable dome front and rear of the house, one looking down the drive, and the other looking at the shed. Even at night the image is pretty good, but I have supplemented the 2 dome cameras with a couple of IR floods (cheapies off ebay)s
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 09:30:41 PM »
Thanks Spada, a bit of interweb reading has found very little that would seem comparable to these, so may be worth the $$$$.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline patroldude

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »
Thank you for the positive feedback Spada
Guys you can call me on 0407211199 and I can help you chose the right camera for the right application. And like Spada, I can supply all the other bits and pieces to help the whole project get completed correctly. Cheers
www.ccbt.net.au

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2000 GU 4.2TD
227-RWHP 662-RWNM
UFI-20G, DC6 250 HP
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box 
2011 TVAN Murranji Mk111 ):

Offline tramsnod

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »
After an early morning break in attempt a year ago i upgraded locks and chains around the home.
I've got a 2 wireless camera Swann unit which goes via wifi to a small tablet style screen.
When I needed an additional camera I got one of these, which you can view on your phone.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151694859086?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Both systems have worked effortlessly.

Of course I use locks and chains etc as well but I can at least get video of any attempts

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
(but that will require a static IP address from your Telco at around $10 per month).
Or just use a free Dynamic DNS service like https://freedns.afraid.org/menu/
I have been using this service for a few years now to remotely access my Foscam and its worked well.

Dynamic IP Addresses
DDNS is a service that allows your IP Camera, especially when assigned with a dynamic IP address,
to have a fixed host and domain name. This means that even though your WAN IP address is
constantly changing, you will have a fixed hostname you can use to access your cameras at all times.
You can access the camera directly from the Internet using the hostname and port number.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:26:46 PM by Wortho »

Offline Dasnowman

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »
We've recently had an increase in suspicious activity in our neighbourhood & swmbo is getting uneasy, so am looking to get a couple of security cameras for monitoring the front of the house. We have a highset & both vehicles are in open carports.
My neighbour has a couple of wireless netgear arlo's https://www.jbhifi.com.au/features/computers-tablets/netgear-arlo/ but a bit of research through product review say they're battery hungry & with batteries about $30 a pop. (he's had his car targetted a couple of times)
There was a bloke wondering around the other morning at the neighbours & these didnt pick anything up, but i was sitting on my front vernada with my phone taking pics of him
I know SFA about this sort of stuff & looking if anyone has any real experience & suggestions. Ideally wireless, but just after something functional that will work. I could wire them in if better its just the power could be an issue
I wonder about the Swan ones from JB??? anybody use them.

https://www.sengled.com.au/

Sengled have released in Aus led lights with cameras inbuilt with them. I have not tried them but if you want a simple install to try something then this maybe you easiest and cheapest option.

Thanks

Dasnowman
Now where is that magic lamp!!! Here genie!! You gotta get me outta work so can go camping!!! ;D