Author Topic: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Scratched the Y61 Patrol off the list  (Read 48338 times)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Most likely upgrading the 105 Cruza wagon in about 18 months. Looking at spending up to $36k.
I would prefer a 200s or 76s Cruza wagon but my budget will only buy in at the bottom end. I like to research well ahead of buying.

I wasn't  really after a ute but I have looked  over 2013 dmax, BT50, Hilux,  Navara, Ranger. They are Ok but didn't really bond with them.  Didn't like the Triton at all.

I would really prefer a wagon on coils, BTW, Not really fussed on the Pajero or Prado.

What I do like is the Patrol. Like the GU7, GU8.  So much too offer for the price and really nice to drive.  My question for the Partol owners is how do they tow with the 4 cyl diesel?

Just after opinions on from Swaggers.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:12:04 PM by muzza01 »

Offline cowwee

• Swag User
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - options - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
Have a look at an Amarok.....mine has done everything that my mates 80 series with 5 inch lift has done!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
My Patrol won't win a drag race up hill towing the camper.
But we get there.
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline tennismark

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »
Will be watching this, as this is just like my situation. 200 series is clearly the winner so far but the 76 could be a choice too. Also looking at resale value too once its mine.

The GU late model Patrol is on the cards, but too many questions about how it will run over the journey still on my mind.

Offline dave.sue

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
I had a 3lt patrol auto towed my 2 tin van once in summer it over heated 4th gear too high and 3rd to low un less the like towing at 80km the manual may be better as 5 speed then again a personaly  know if 3 3lts that blowed up i sold mine and got a 200 series.  The 4.2 patrols are good will run forever

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Offline mudge1

• Swag User
  • Gypsy at heart
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
Could not go past my FJ
Not great if you want to put more than 2 people in it for a trip or entry & exit, but it will go anywhere you point it and you can by a fully kitted out 2013 model with low K's for that money if you shop around. Bonus is they come with all the buttons that a much more expensive model (Prado Kakadu) have for a third of the price.
Better still you join a secret society of FJ drivers that have their own wave & you will stand out in a crowd.
I drove to Birdsville, towing a CT & the fuel cost was not much Diff to a big V8 diesel.
You won't need to worry about resale because you will keep it until you scatter its ashes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FJ Cruiser & Conqueror 390 Escape

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Have a look at an Amarok.....mine has done everything that my mates 80 series with 5 inch lift has done!!!
your mate cant drive
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie

Offline Railey

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
D3 or early model D4

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »

I've taken my hiace on a few trips. Went everywhere my mate in his 6" lifted patrol Went. He is even on this site to vouch for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
We just traded our GU9 Patrol recently.  You would be able to get one of these inside your budget.  We only have a camper under 1 tonne and it towed easily enough, but was pretty thirsty with 33" tyres.  Hills placed some additional strain, but you just drive it like it should be driven, it's not meant to be a fast car.  We had a 3" exhaust which helped but would have had an ECU remap should we have kept it.  These would help greatly.  Factor these into the budget also if you go down the Patrol avenue.

Cheers
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
I've taken my hiace on a few trips. Went everywhere my mate in his 6" lifted patrol Went. He is even on this site to vouch for that

Vouched.

ScarpsD40

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

Vouched.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
I just downgraded from the 80 series a couple of weeks ago. Your budget is a lot higher than mine was but I ended up with an 05' 3.2DiD Pajero and so far, couldn't be happier. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Toyota's, but for the price of a same year model non turbo cruiser, I could buy two Pajeros. Ultimately what made me upgrade was the lack of power in the old non turbo 80 when towing the camper. 2nd gear and 40km/hr ain't much fun up long, steep hills. The Pajero tows the camper beautifully, comfortably and with power to spare and the 5 speed auto is silky smooth. Yes, they don't have the resale of the Toyota, but you pay a helluva lot less to buy one in the first place. Good luck with the decision.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - options - opinions?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 06:49:35 AM »
I'll add a bit more detail.

My 2014 auto Challenger on the highway trumps the Troll.
While the 'dinkiest 'engine in its class. It doesn't really slow down for hills with my FF attached. On road I hardly know it's there.
However I can feel the camper more. (Potholes etc)

I feel the extra weight of the camper in the Troll straight away- however it will still pull the camper up the Gateway bridge in 5th gear. (Manual)
Or Cunninghams gap in 4th.
I do have to pay attention to the rev range though, and play where it likes to play.
On the beach/off road. Most likely due to the extra weight and gearing, the Troll feels like it tows better. If the camper slides out on a rut, the Troll handles this better.
So for highway trips. The Challenger.
Beach or off road- the Troll.
Every vehicle is a compromise.

And as a comparison.. same same driver.
No way will the Challenger (2inch lift factory rear locker) go where the Troll (bigger) will go off road. Although it's competent off road..
It would be damaged trying or hung up.

I remember when I was looking for a new 4wd. And the Colarado7 salesmen saying he had taken a stock one through Cruiser Canyon at LCMP.  I told him if he drove it out there and did it right now, I would buy one...(not the one he drove...)

So in short.
You won't go wrong with a Troll towing.
And if your worried. Chuck a bugger intercooler and exhaust on it. Some NADS.. and you'll wonder why you ever owned a cruiser.

Or get the Hiace like Oldmate. It really did do a few trips surrounded by some tough trucks and went everywhere they went.
Admittedly those weekends the 'tough trucks' only went on bitumen roads, gravel tracks and grassy paddocks.
But the Hiace kept up.
Although on one of those trips he didn't follow a stickish GU ute through a dam. To be fair the driver wasn't with our group.. and umm the GU didn't make it..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:03:00 AM by Fathom »

ScarpsD40

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 07:59:06 AM »
I'll add a bit more detail.

My 2014 auto Challenger on the highway trumps the Troll.
While the 'dinkiest 'engine in its class. It doesn't really slow down for hills with my FF attached. On road I hardly know it's there.
However I can feel the camper more. (Potholes etc)

I feel the extra weight of the camper in the Troll straight away- however it will still pull the camper up the Gateway bridge in 5th gear. (Manual)
Or Cunninghams gap in 4th.
I do have to pay attention to the rev range though, and play where it likes to play.
On the beach/off road. Most likely due to the extra weight and gearing, the Troll feels like it tows better. If the camper slides out on a rut, the Troll handles this better.
So for highway trips. The Challenger.
Beach or off road- the Troll.
Every vehicle is a compromise.

And as a comparison.. same same driver.
No way will the Challenger (2inch lift factory rear locker) go where the Troll (bigger) will go off road. Although it's competent off road..
It would be damaged trying or hung up.

I remember when I was looking for a new 4wd. And the Colarado7 salesmen saying he had taken a stock one through Cruiser Canyon at LCMP.  I told him if he drove it out there and did it right now, I would buy one...(not the one he drove...)

So in short.
You won't go wrong with a Troll towing.
And if your worried. Chuck a bugger intercooler and exhaust on it. Some NADS.. and you'll wonder why you ever owned a cruiser.

Or get the Hiace like Oldmate. It really did do a few trips surrounded by some tough trucks and went everywhere they went.
Admittedly those weekends the 'tough trucks' only went on bitumen roads, gravel tracks and grassy paddocks.
But the Hiace kept up.
Although on one of those trips he didn't follow a stickish GU ute through a dam. To be fair the driver wasn't with our group.. and umm the GU didn't make it..

lol

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
If looking at a Patrol, factor in an ECU remap. They seem to be really livening them up torque wise.
Factor around $1000 bucks for it.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - question for Patrol owners
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Should have added Amerok to the list of I don't really like.
I had a Challenger as a hire car last year. I drove it  from Weipa to Mapoon and it didn't really impress me.  I did the same trip in a Patrol and I was really impressed with it.

I am not concerned too much about fuel economy but I am sure the 3 litre Nissan would chew less than my 4.2 Toyota.

I think the Patrol has defo got me interested.  Can any of the Patrol owners explain the differences in models like ST and GX.  Is there any major difference between 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 models.

Are there any other must do mods besides 3inch exhaust and ref lash the chip?

Are there any bad things I should about the Patrol?

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - question for Patrol owners
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
The Patrol.....probably nearly everything you want......except for that 3ltr engine.  I know, every 2nd bloke says they have fixed the problems, and every 3rd bloke will tell you a story of heartache.

If you can't stretch it for a V8 Patrol, then I'd be placing my money on a Pajero. But that's me !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline patroldude

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »
Desiel Central in Gracemere is getting around 200RWHP out of his 3Ltr Patrol - been around 3 years now I believe. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
2000 GU 4.2TD
227-RWHP 662-RWNM
UFI-20G, DC6 250 HP
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box 
2011 TVAN Murranji Mk111 ):

Offline sbv20j

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
I had a 2012 model loved every thing about it except the motor it is absolute Shite, with a family of five towing a camper it was a boarder line dangerous fitted all the usual suspects on it egr block, 3" exhaust chipped but it was still crap
I cut my losses and got a Y62 have not looked back by far the best 4wd I have ever driven or owned, I know it is not in your budget range but just stating my experience.
I have had the following 4wds
GU8 Patrol, GU1 Patrol, GQ Patrol, 2X Prado's (company cars), 3X Hilux (company cars), Jeep, Navara (company car), D Max (company car) and even a jackeroo
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:01:41 PM by sbv20j »
The following users thanked this post: clarky

Offline fergy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 10:04:44 PM »
All these questions and your still going to end up with a 200 series
1996 Suzuki Sierra    2008 jayco hawk now gone 1978 millard pop top
Iveco daily 4x4
WR450F

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 06:06:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had a Challenger as a hire car last year. I drove it  from Weipa to Mapoon and it didn't really impress me.  I did the same trip in a Patrol and I was really impressed with it.

Yup. I would say I love driving my Troll.

Can any of the Patrol owners explain the differences in models like ST and GX. 

GU series.
DX- base model (vinyl floor etc)
ST mid range (carpet, more bells and whistles.
STI - like the ST but leather seats. And Ac to the rear.

Is there any major difference between 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 models.

No. Not really.

Intercooler upgrade
Catch can.
EGR block.
Either a needle and Dawes valve or aftermarket VNT
Then if you want... boost and EGT gauge.
Then if you really really want.. an LS or Duramax conversion.

Other that's what's already been said in this thread?
Nope.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
<snip>

I think the Patrol has defo got me interested.  Can any of the Patrol owners explain the differences in models like ST and GX.  Is there any major difference between 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 models.

Wagon was DX (base) ST (mid range) and Ti (all the bells) ute was DX and ST. (ST-S and ST-L were dropped I think around 2008 during the GU5 reign)
2010 & 2011 models designated GU6
2012 and I think 1st half of 2013 was GU7
They are only facelift evolutions ie little bit of chrome here or removed there.

As to mods,
needle and dawes
2.5" exhaust (don't do 3" too big for a starter motor for a real engine ;D ;D ;D ;D
Proper tune via an ECU remap (don't chip, it's snake oil)
intercooler and gauges etc your call. Do things properly and it will last and if you're not too heavy with the right foot, it'll be quite surprising with the fuel.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
Go the manual i found the auto is a 4 speed and it hunts between gears (3rd and 4th) when towing
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
Wouldn't you get close to a 4.2 for that money?

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim