Author Topic: TVAN or Ultimate Camper  (Read 20986 times)

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
TVAN or Ultimate Camper
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »
Looking at a Strezleki and Cape York trip and can't decide on which one...
Family Trip with two kids (10 & 12).
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rainsey

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: TVAN or Ultimate Camper
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:41:51 AM »
They are both terrific campers. Re the strez, that's almost highway conditions so it really does not matter. Re the Cape, I would chose the Tvan ( and yes I have one myself) as if camping sports are tight, if you can drive in or back in you can set up camp.

The Ultimate requires double the width of the camper so you may have to be a bit more choosy over where you set up camp. A lot of camping spots in some National Parks and state forrests are now putting pine posts or bollards in making the spot about the width of your vehicle. Flipping open the Ultimate means setting up camp over these pests.

The ultimate probably has more storage options and is lighter on the ball weight than the Tvan. The ultimate also has a funky room that can be made up under the main bed area for the kids, but you can sleep 2 comfortably on the deck of the Tvan.

What you probably need to do is think past the Cape and more long term. Either way. Each has its benefits, each has its draw backs.

I chose the Tvan due to the space in setting up, the outside kitchen, the suspension and if its just the two of you the ability to lift the back, jump in and pull it down behind you. Zero set up if you want to be minimalistic.

Cheers
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

time

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »
....... and have a look at the Vista RV Crossover.  I have the XL version, have taken it places where most wouldn't take their vehicle.  Tough as 😁

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
as an owner of none of those mentioned above I can only offer input as to what I would purchase, were I to have the funds to do so...

Keeping in mind that we are a family of 2 plus dog. No kids. these are just my impressions as I have researched all three in depth, trolled the owners forums and spent time at shows in all three.

Toughness - Tvan by a tiny amount, followed very closely by the Vista RV, then the Ultimate.
Both the Tvan and the Vista are running very very similar suspension designs and I believe that Vista's parent company used to manufacture the Tvan chassis (though I could be wrong on that)  It's not like I think the Ultimate is "no good"... it's massively in front of many (most?) campers out there currently. But against the other two... it's a close third.

Space - Ultimate first. then the Vista, then the Tvan.
Having sat in all three, the Ultimate has the most feeling of "s-p-a-c-e". It's just so airy and "open". But then that comes at a price. Setup time. next would be a tie depending on what you want in a trailer. The Tvan has the tent area, but it must be set up. While the Vista (esp the XL) has interior space with as good as zero setup time.

Comforts - this one is difficult... for me, the Tvan is perfect. But my wife now prefers the Vista. I'll call it in her favour. Vista first, Tvan second and Ultimate third. (basing that partially on setup time to actually access the comforts)

Setup time - Vista, then Tvan, then Ultimate.
for a couple, the Vista is just open the door, walk inside, lay down and sleep. The Tvan is next, but you need to open the tail pod and drop the deck, then the Ultimate which has much canvas.

Family friendly - well now this is where it all falls on its head... Ultimate first, then Tvan and then the Vista. Not actually *having* a family makes it difficult for me to comment accurately... But the upper deck space in the Ultimate, plus the option of the kids room underneath the adult bed makes for plenty of space.  The Tvan's deck does provide lots of space as well, but the Vista would require swags or an Oztent for the kids.

End result - for us, (as in wife and I plus dog), we'd go the Tvan for what we want to do with it. (plus on the 2nd hand market, they're more in our price range)

However... if a Vista XL popped on the 2nd hand market at sub 30k, then that would suddenly become a much tougher decision.

All these thoughts are just my opinions and I'm sure actual owners of any of the three will set me straight where I may have commented poorly out of ignorance...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:22:00 PM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »
Note, Ultimate owner here

We looked at both. Chose ultimate for a few reasons.

1) Much more space inside when open. Can sit inside in bad weather or when flies are really bad and eat in piece.

2) Lighter camper on the ball and gross. Infact from memory when you added the whole fridge box thing to the tvan it made the ball weight around the 250kg.

3) We have done plenty of travelling and never found side opening a problem, especially  when you can open over small bushes or bollards as it doesnt need ground space. you can also easily dissconnect and swing trailer around if it suits better.

Plenty of other reasons, but the ultimate just suited us better. We dont have kids that travel with us, but i know plenty of owners that do.

The Tvan is a great unit, we just felt a little Claustrophobic  in it.
There is probably plenty for and against each unit depending on the person and there purpose

Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/
The following users thanked this post: edithvale

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  Should all come down to personal choice.  We have looked at both and quickly found the Tvan did not suit our needs.  A mate bought an Ultimate a few years back and he has found nothing soft about it and suits their needs, following everywhere they go without a problem.  All you can really do is go and check both out, or others and find the one that suits your needs. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline KathyL

• Tent User
    • Ron & Kathy's Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »
My husband and I are also Ultimate owners - we bought one new almost a year ago - and our requirements for a camper trailer/hybrid camper were something that:
1. we can definitely take offroad;
2. is light (both ball weight and overall weight);
3. has at least a queen size bed that you get into from the foot end;
4. has sufficient internal height for a tall person (not me);
5. one short person (me) can setup/pack up quickly and easily;
6. has an internal kitchen (just so that we have the *option* of cooking inside if the weather or bugs turns nasty);
7. will hold its value when the time comes for us to sell it.

We considered a few other camper trailers/hybrid campers but when we saw them at the Penrith Caravan and Camping Expo last Friday we realised they didn't satisfy our requirements - most had only double beds (one of which also had a corner cut off!) that you could only get into from one side, they were all MUCH heavier than the Ultimate, some definitely couldn't be setup/packed up easily or quickly by one short person, and some clearly weren't meant for people who are almost 2m tall!

The following is a quote from another forum and my response:
The Ultimate ... has an internal kitchen setup similar to a caravan, great to cook out of the bugs & flys but the smell goes through your bedding & you can't access the stove & sink for a quick lunch stop. Dust on the back door & wet canvas on the mattress are but some of the issues to contend with.

We've just completed an almost six month long trip around Australia  - blog here: Not at home today - with our Ultimate camper during which we had it setup for 136 nights (including one stretch where we used it every night for more than six weeks in a row).

We cooked/prepared meals inside the camper for probably 100 of those nights (and cooked toast almost every morning) and it was great to be able to cook/prepare meals inside when there were swarms of flies/mozzies/midgies outside or when it was pouring rain, blowing a gale, stinking hot or freezing cold. We also had a two burner gas stove and Weber BBQ that we used for cooking meals outside. There were never any lingering/residual smells from the cooking on our clothes, bedding or the canvas. That said, we never fried foods inside or used onion or garlic (Ron can't eat them).

We didn't find not having access to the stove or sink while travelling a problem - we simply prepared our lunch ahead of time and put it in the car fridge, always kept water in the car and had the option of using either a Thermos or single burner stove and kettle we keep in the Drifta drawers if we wanted boiling water.

We had dust on the back step every day while travelling along unsealed roads but didn't find having to spend a minute or so brushing it off to be onerous even when we were moving on every day.

Keeping the mattresses dry as part of a wet packup was an issue but this was easily dealt with by using a plastic painters dropsheet to wrap around the mattresses before collapsing the canvas top.

We are very happy with the Ultimate camper and I can honestly say that everyone of our requirements was met (but I also know several TVan owners who say the same thing!).  I don't know think there is any such thing as the 'perfect' camper trailer (including the hybrids like the TVan, Ultimate and Kimberley) because we all have different budgets, needs and priorities.  Ultimately I think it comes down to finding a product within your budget that satisfies as many of your needs and priorities as possible and then deciding if you can live with whatever shortcomings it has.
2016 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Ultimate Xplor GT
Travel Blog:  Not At Home Today
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 04:23:55 PM »
After having 2 KK's and looked at all the campers mentioned ( and more ), we decided on a Crossover type camper because ultimately (sic ) we wanted to get away from canvas !!
Having any sort of camper, you want to look at more than one trip, and decide which one would suit 2 adults and 2 kids longer term ? Your kids are big enough to go into swags, but if you insist they go in a camper, then personally I wouldn't have any of those 3 mentioned if camping regularly ( with kids ).
Have you looked at a normal or rear fold soft floor ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
I have a Mark II 2010 Canning Tvan.

Overpriced but an exceptional camper, best suited for couples, quick setup, they will go anywhere.

Would I buy another one, probably yes?

Regards, Chris.
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »
rm ? Your kids are big enough to go into swags, but if you insist they go in a camper, then personally I wouldn't have any of those 3 mentioned if camping regularly ( with kids ).

Why??

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »
After having 2 KK's and looked at all the campers mentioned ( and more ), we decided on a Crossover type camper because ultimately (sic ) we wanted to get away from canvas !!
Having any sort of camper, you want to look at more than one trip, and decide which one would suit 2 adults and 2 kids longer term ? Your kids are big enough to go into swags, but if you insist they go in a camper, then personally I wouldn't have any of those 3 mentioned if camping regularly ( with kids ).

We had a soft floor camper and did a 3 month trip around OZ and was good. But sick of all that canvas and being on the ground. We got drowned a couple of times..  would like to be off the ground this time.

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 05:12:12 PM »
Kids love their swags but are concerned about crocs and (so is the wife)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:54 PM »

Why??

Well, to kill 2 posts with one......where would 2 big kids sleep in an Ultimate up off the ground ? Is there enough room up top for 4 people to sleep ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
On the king size mattress can sleep 3, and one on the lounge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline patroldude

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »
Bias opinion - Tvan - lots of set up options. I bought our Tvan when my kids where 15, accomodated them real well. Now that they have grown up, the Tvan is just excellent for mum and I. Quick and easy if you want or the whole nine yards with annex ext. Tough as nails, with very little to service and go wrong. As it has the fibreglass roof it's cool in summer and warm in winter. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
2000 GU 4.2TD
227-RWHP 662-RWNM
UFI-20G, DC6 250 HP
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box 
2011 TVAN Murranji Mk111 ):

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
Quote from: Meggsie
and that's the best option for that sort of $ ??? ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »
Well, to kill 2 posts with one......where would 2 big kids sleep in an Ultimate up off the ground ? Is there enough room up top for 4 people to sleep ?

to answer it short Yes!!!!

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »

No the best option is to dump the rat bag kids outside in their own stuff

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 08:15:11 PM »

About $30 - $35k

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 08:28:51 PM »
About $30 - $35k

plenty of Ultimates and Tvans in that price range.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:14 PM »
Quote from: Meggsie
About $30 - $35k

so for 35 grand you have kids in bed with you? Surely theres other trailers where you don't have to have kids on the workbench with you?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »
so for 35 grand you have kids in bed with you? Surely theres other trailers where you don't have to have kids on the workbench with you?

Up for suggestions....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »

technically gronk asked....
Is there enough room up top for 4 people to sleep ?

to which Meggsie said

not seeing kids mentioned there mate...party time in the Ulti hey  :o ;) ;D ;D ;D
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »

As an ultimate owner, I agree. I don't want my kids in bed with me. Lucky I only have one and made an infill cushion for the lounge. That can still be a pain trying to get in/out of bed when she is asleep, but at least she is not in my bed. Come 2 kids, then I would do some homework there. As far as the under bed room is concerned, I would just buy a decent tent. Will save you both coin and set up time if you pick the right one. Most ulti accessories will cost you a kidney.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 09:44:02 PM »
Rooftop tent may be the go for the kids...