Author Topic: NBN- is anyone onboard yet?  (Read 26782 times)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: NBN- is anyone onboard yet?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
I had reliable 25/5 FTTP in town, always within 10%, so I'll be interested to see how we do with fixed wifeless just out of town. I think we have line of site onto the tower, and I'm staying with the same ISP so hopefully the performance should be similar.

I think the big thing is using some of the smaller ISPs - ours was fantastically reliable on the FTTP so will be interesting to see how we go on fixed wireless next week... Pain has been the 3 weeks for an install window into a new build...

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2017, 07:50:57 PM »
For the dummies, what is bonding 2 connections ?

Hey Gronk, I have a 100/40 connection and a 50/20 connection and I connected them to one router that has the ability to handle multiple connections and use them simultaneously by breaking the message into its bits and sending it out alternatively over each connection.

I can't really explain why the bonded* connection was faster than the sum of the two individual connections but I have a few theories.

*for the IT nerds, I know this isn't truly bonded, it's actually a session based load balance as opposed to the traditional IP based load balance. Each Wan still has its own IP

I tried bonding mine, but the superglue didn't work

You should try sikka!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:03:43 PM by Jasman »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
Hey Gronk, I have a 100/40 connection and a 50/20 connection

2 separate incoming lines ? Home or a business ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
2 separate incoming lines ? Home or a business ?

Yep, that's two NBN connections and yes that's at work.  At home I have to make do with a single 100/40 connection with a 4G mobile backup!

With Fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) NBN you can actually have up to four connections hanging off the one strand of fibre. If I could come up with a good reason for about $500pm I could get 4 x 100/100MB connections and "bond" them together and get something like 450MB up and down assuming my routers could actually handle the bandwidth.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
NBN- is anyone onboard yet?
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
http://abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/nbn-co-introduces-address-checker-function-for-rollout-dates/8304630?pfmredir=sm

"The number one question we get asked by people is 'when will it actually be available?' so this new update gives people an answer to that very question," NBN spokesperson Dan Chamberlain told the ABC.

Well apparently they can't actually answer that very question for everyone....

I punched in my address and got this very detailed answer. ::)

The rollout of the nbn network is planned in this area.
nbn is committed to completing the rollout by 2020.
We expect to have more information about the availability and technology in your area soon.
You can check your address again at any time or register and we will keep you informed with regular updates.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
Interesting.....nbn is available to my house in June and business in October..........my business is right next door to the exchange  ???

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-au/money/company-news/when-will-you-get-the-nbn/ar-AAnsL7i

In particular-

"We have moved away from telling people when we'll be building in their neighbourhood to when they can contact their retailer to buy a service"

"It's not until we are in the streets that we have a clear view of the technology available to individual homes so there are times where a different solution is determined to be better than that which was planned,"

So forget all the ifs, buts and maybes and wait til you finally get a letter from NBNCo to say you can jump onboard and then you'll find out what form factor you're actually getting ie FTTP, FTTN, HFC or FTTDp
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline KevL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
Woohoo.
I'm going to get fixed wireless by Jul-Dec 2020.
A bit different to Malcolm's promises of 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 05:13:25 AM »
Major problem with NBN is that if either the telephone exchange or your house loses power (electricity) than the phone won't work.  Not so bad for major populated areas that rely on mobile phones but for places without mobile access....you can't even ring 000

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2017, 07:31:59 AM »
Quote from: Nomad
... my business is right next door to the exchange  ???
I wish.. that would be sweet.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
Looks like I will be getting this service real soon, might have time to make a cuppa before the technicians arrive. >:( >:(

The rollout of the nbn™ network is planned in this area

Planned availability: Jul-Dec 2020*.

Planned technology: nbn™ Fixed Wireless*.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 08:50:34 AM »
I'm less then 1km from the exchange. There was 3 or 4 vehicles with NBN stickers at the exchange just after Christmas.
I saw all the cars and thought, "Sweet, they're getting ready to hook us up".
It looks like the reality was they opened the boxes and said "F.... That!! Lets leave this place till last, hopefully someone else will have to deal with this mess!"

We don't have a availability date or a planned technology.
In the old too hard basket we go.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »
Looks like I will be getting this service real soon, might have time to make a cuppa before the technicians arrive. >:( >:(

The rollout of the nbn™ network is planned in this area

Planned availability: Jul-Dec 2020*.

Planned technology: nbn™ Fixed Wireless*.
So much for keeping up with the world. The NBN will be old and outdated technology by 2020.
To tell you the truth, I was happy with my old Naked ADSL............it was far cheaper and did the job I needed.
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
The NBN offices are literally round the corner from me... I regularly have coffee with some of the collars there :P

My NBN connection is still Shitful, and worse than the Optus Cable I had before and many people say same thing on Whingepool etc... So I have ZERO idea why anyone is getting excited.. ??? ??? I'd be over the moon if I still had cable.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2017, 12:18:40 PM »
Major problem with NBN is that if either the telephone exchange or your house loses power (electricity) than the phone won't work.  Not so bad for major populated areas that rely on mobile phones but for places without mobile access....you can't even ring 000

Quit yer bellyachin softies cos you now have access to Satellite everywhere-
http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=267
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
We got excited that NBN was coming to our street as across the road they lifted the concrete cover to the under ground cables, erected a little yellow steel safety barrier around the open pit, and put up a little NBN sign on the barrier.

A year later the concrete cover is still off the pit, the NBN sign has faded and the yellow safety barrier is now a great trellis for the blackberry bush that has since grown....

Not sure when we will be getting it  ???

Offline Inland_Sailor

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »
I've had NBN fixed wireless now for 18 months or so. It's been a revelation to us after being on Satellite. I'm on 25/5 and it's sooo fast by comparison. We can now download movies and watch youtube vids and live/catchup TV all for a subscription price around half that of the sat service and have unlimited downloads. They've done the right thing for once, giving rural communities a decent service first before hooking up those in cities and large towns with ADSL. I love NBN !!!!!

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »
went from sketchy and congested 4Mbps ADSL2 to this on NBN FTTN:

this has been consistent since install (early january 2017), even at peak times through the day...

less than 1km from the nearest node, from what i can tell.

very happy  :laugh: 

even get consistently above 20Mbps (sometimes more, test below) when using a VPN service, so streaming sport from other sources is easy  8)...

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:23:00 PM by paceman »

Offline dogbox

• Swag User
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »
We are on it.
Seems faster than our adsl2 was.
Although it's crap that we have to plug the house phone into the modem or the phone won't work.
Never had to plug it into the adsl2 modem, just plugged it into the extra phone lines we had installed.
Bill

just had a similar issue computer works phones don't there sending out new box with more plugs in it to see if that will fix it or I can pay a tech person to sort it out

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »
Had a chat to a team of guys in Berowra Heights putting rope in the pits so they can pull the fibre through.

We're getting FTTN, website says Apr-Jun 2017, but I'll believe that when they knock on the door and say change your plan.

If we can get 50/20 I'd be estatic (work from home, can't browse, be on a vpn, screenshare and do voip on adsl 2)

Was supposed to be done by jun 2016, maybe that was an election promise.....

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2017, 07:04:33 AM »
We're currently on Telstra Cable & supposed to be changing across to NBN HFC from about May ???

Not sure what, if any, change to expect - a few horror stories on Whirlpool about congestion, particularly in the evening, but most of my use is during the day so that's not worrying me, yet :D

One potential problem with the HFC NBN is that there's absolutely no battery backup, so if there's a power cut anywhere from the exchange, through the network out to your street, or just local, you lose all internet / phone. :'( They suggest using your mobile as emergency backup, but from the SA blackout last year, there are reports that mobile towers were also draining their backup battery's within as little as 30 minutes, then shutting down! >:(

Starting to think more & more every day that Australia is going backwards, regardless of how much we talk ourselves up as a "Smart" country :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
Fizzie, totally agree.

Old Copper wire system was always there unless someone cut a cable between you and the exchange.