Author Topic: NBN- is anyone onboard yet?  (Read 26739 times)

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
NBN- is anyone onboard yet?
« on: October 17, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
Just interested to hear feedback on the new nbn if anyone had signed up. We have to switch over by July next year.

Do you need a modem with the nbn or does the new technology make it redundant?
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NBN- is anyone onboard yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
you don't need a modem with NBN fibre, just a router.

depending on your ISP, they can supply you with suitable hardware.

these faq's may also be of assistance:

http://www.nbnco.com.au/utility/faqs.html#.VECbKbCUdRo

Offline rokster72

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
Beware of the NBN.. it's evil personified..

At first we sat there.. clicked on a link.. got up, go make coffee.. had a chat with the wife, mowed half the lawn.. came back.. ah.. you can enter your password now.. go off again. .mowed the rest of the lawn... and so you trundled at a sedate pace through getting your chores done, as well as internet banking, checking the cricket scores etc etc..

In waltz the NBN..

And you click on a link.. and before you can blink, the page is up.. and the next one, and the next one... soon you're mesmerised by the depths of the Interwebs.. you never realised how much is out there.. available for all and everyone.. then you hear a voice in the background.. it's your wife.. she's just about had it.. been shouting at you for 2 days now.. you realised you haven't shaved since Friday morning.. the lawn is still not mown, mates came and left after the rugby.. the weekend has come and gone..  reluctantly you get up and get ready for work.. Monday can't pass soon enough..

Soon, work is just an interlude between marathon internet sessions.. Youtube running on one screen, torrent manager on another.. your hard disks are filling up at an alarming rate.. but everywhere you go you see more stuff to download.. older versions of Ubuntu.. pre-release Windows 95 ( we can't mention the movies and television series because this is a law abiding forum )..

Reluctantly you install a proper router.. wire up the rest of the house.. now the whole family is hooked.. after all, Junior downloading some 'research material' isn't impacting any more on Princess listening the the latest boyband on Spotify.. somewhere in the background your wife has discovered digital scrapbooking.. and the last 20 years worth of awkward photos are making their way online to the family blog.. Someone mentions NetFlix and Hulu.. and soon you need to buy 3 more wide screen televisions to cater for everyone's tastes - long gone are the days of watching FamilyFeud together over dinner..

And then you discover online gaming.. World of Tanks, ARMA II, EVE Online.. work is beginning to seriously interfere with your newfound 'social'-life.. you've not met any of these people in real life.. but they're happy to see you.. greet you like a long lost friend.. Welcome.. you arrived in NBN-World..

Seriously.. the NBN is cool to have.. it's got 100001 benefits.. even the slowed down, half broken, archaic piece of crap Tony Abbott is organizing for us.  However, be warned.. once you've had it.. you can't go back to being without it.. it very quickly digs it's fingers into your life.. and in many subtle ways, you're hooked to it for life.. It becomes the number one requirement when you start looking for a new house !

**Disclaimer : Events described above is completely fictional and do not have any relation to real events in my life -> I've never played EVE

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
Hahaha - well done. Quite a few people have it over here. How much is it?

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline rokster72

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
I'm paying $100 / month for 100/40 speed and a 1Tb download cap. With IINet in Perth.

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
Thanks Rokster. I am getting conflicting responses regarding the need for a modem. Be good to get a straight answer before wasting dollars on something you don't need.
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline rokster72

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
It will depend on your provider.. IINet provided everything a basic household would need.. I did add a fancy smancy router with a whole bunch of additional abilities to cater for my needs.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
Thanks Rokster. I am getting conflicting responses regarding the need for a modem. Be good to get a straight answer before wasting dollars on something you don't need.

as previously advised, no modem is necessary.  a router, however, is.

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
Just interested to hear feedback on the new nbn if anyone had signed up. We have to switch over by July next year.

Do you need a modem with the nbn or does the new technology make it redundant?
Do a search on whirlpool.  That is the best forum to get info on any tech $ h! T
We're all just redneck bogan campers here

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
Lots of NBN cable pulling going on around the streets of Strathalbyn at the moment, hopefully we will be able to connect in the next 6 months. So looking forward to the speed as we get woeful ADSL 2+ speed when it's wet for some reason, despite many complaints and much testing by Telstra. Bring it on!
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
I have signed up for a 25Mbps download connection with 200GB with Adam Internet.

Thanks for the advice about Whirlpool - I will have a look around and see what advice I can get.

Cheers, Paul
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »

Love it and saving a fortune - 100gb, middle speed, from Exetel = $50 per month, add a Voip phone and all done.

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »
Typed in my town and when we will be getting nbn, and they said " where the frig is that? Is that even a town?" Hmmmm not holding my breath. Unless its waiting for something to load.

Offline beigewagon

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »

Not in any hurry, have been told by two different NBN providers that our speed will most likely be slower than our current ADSL.

WTF?  Apparently we live too close to the exchange! Less than 500 metres. Both providers gave the same reason, but the reason sounds like BS to me.

Beigewagon
Flat four, not flat footed

Offline Old65

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Hard Floor Camper
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »
I wouldn't believe it either. ADSL2 max is about 24mb/s and the closer you are to the exch the better.
   It also depends on if you are Fibre to the Premises or Fibre to the node as to whether you need a modem or not.They should be supplied by your ISP but I do know the later Telstra modems do not need to be changed as they can do ADSL and VDSL.
    I did hear recently of people getting speeds upto 100mb/s on the fibre/copper FTTN.Any way I should find out tomorrow as I am getting switched over to NBN FTTN.

Darryl

Not in any hurry, have been told by two different NBN providers that our speed will most likely be slower than our current ADSL.

WTF?  Apparently we live too close to the exchange! Less than 500 metres. Both providers gave the same reason, but the reason sounds like BS to me.

Beigewagon
1996 80 series with 1HD-FTE auto and 2009 Cub Supermatic Escape XTD Transcon Pack

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »
The minimum configured line speed is 25mbs.
We have about 6 services all switched over to NBN now.

Three of them are wireless with lines speeds of 25mb they also have that speed download of the same and thoroughly tested and they get 25mb.

We also have put in 100/40 links.
In Newcastle after they fixed cabling we get a connection line speed of 82/39. That was FTTN and not fibre to premises.
Speed in browser tests show at 72/39 roughly.

These are all on internode services mostly. On the speed 100/40 service above a building 2 doors down street about 50m away are on a Telstra service similar connection/plan and they are pushing yo get better then 25 in the browser.

It's not only the connection to NBN it's also the quality of the ISP you get as well.

I've spoken to a number of techs and they have all said any line connection must exceed 25mb as this is the minimum set by NBN co to ensure faster then adsl2+. We had one link badly configured at exchange and he tested it gave us 28. But he saw something weird and went and checked. Came back and presto running at 68.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »
Haven't noticed any real improvement over our BigPond cable. NBN seems to be a bit slower sometimes......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »
Ours is slower than the old Optus Cable... then add months of being ****ed around trying to get their pathetic arses sorted out = Don't do it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »
....= Don't do it.

Not much choice, once they've given notice.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »
Quote from: GeoffA
Not much choice, once they've given notice.

Yea we thought that - our old internet that was getting cut off March 31st - still works... Even after their 3 snail mail letters, several phone calls from them, emails galore telling us it was getting murdered...

Then to add to the fun, after 12 calls to Ape Shit in India to try and get it cut off - it still works...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »
Hit 'em with breach of contract, fail to supply goods as described.
That's if you've lots'a time and money to throw around.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 09:24:49 PM »
We are on it.
Seems faster than our adsl2 was.
Although it's crap that we have to plug the house phone into the modem or the phone won't work.
Never had to plug it into the adsl2 modem, just plugged it into the extra phone lines we had installed.
Bill
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:27:42 PM by Bill »
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

scrapsD40

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 09:34:30 PM »
We just had ours set up. Techno nerd son said it's 75 times faster than our old adsl. Have noticed I don't seem to get buffering anymore.......

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:19 PM »
Quote from: scrapsD40
said it's 75 times faster than our old adsl
Sure you weren't on a 14.4k model?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline peter01

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • live the -
    • http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
We just had ours set up. Techno nerd son said it's 75 times faster than our old adsl. Have noticed I don't seem to get buffering anymore.......

Scarps, with the speed you keep in touch with everything i'm surprised you actually notice any difference   
2014 GLXR Triton
2015 Blue Water - FF Darling camper

Our blog:     http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/