Author Topic: Torch Envy  (Read 53816 times)

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Torch Envy
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »
I was channel surfing last night and came across it on tv.  Apparently it took just under 5 hours to cook and batteries needed changing every 15-20 minutes.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »
Anybody on here have the Ryobi HID torch? A few of us use them on the boats for coming in at night. Basically just a 35w hid headlight. Mine's a couple of years old now and works a treat. Not the sort of thing you go bushwalking with though, just pointing it at the ground and looking at it will result in seeing stars for a while.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-xenon-spotlight-skin-only_p6210342
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline eventyr

• Tent User
  • What do I write here?
    • jamesholbeachpics
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2016, 01:22:11 PM »

So how did the torch go - I assume it's actually arrived by now!  ;D
yeah sorry. 'Twas Shit ... ok maybe that is a bit hash ...Button fell off after 3 days and wrist strap broke almost immediately. It is bright and does come with two batteries and a adaptor for standard AAAs. The mount is for a bike handlebar and isn't quite what I was after

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CT: "Harry" a Goldstream Storm RL Vacationer Series III  MY2015 - Mods: 250W PV - Victron Regulator - Perm. B.E.S.T. Water filter - External water, storage, lighting, 12V power ... 
Tow: "Pearl" a MY13 LC200 Sahara
1 Husband, 1 wife, 1 miss teenager, 1 mister growing up

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »
yeah sorry. 'Twas Shit ... ok maybe that is a bit hash ...Button fell off after 3 days and wrist strap broke almost immediately. It is bright and does come with two batteries and a adaptor for standard AAAs. The mount is for a bike handlebar and isn't quite what I was after

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to clarify for those reading this as there has been a bit of confusion. This is in regards to the cheap eBay torch not the Convoy L6.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »
Oooops - sorry, yes, should have clarified that I was asking about this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6-USB-LED-Zoomable-2500Lm-18650-Rechargeable-Battery-Flashlight-Torch-/181616001600?hash=item2a49284240:g:0XsAAOSwL7VWhQga that Eventyr was getting to see how it went.

Pity that it's apparently not much chop as I had my eye on a couple of them.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »
Well just ordered all the components to make an approx 36,000LM Torch, decided to go this route as I think if I went with the convoy I'd still want to try this as well. Ended up getting the components to do it a bit differently from the one in the vid so as to be able to dim/adjust the output as I think an all or nothing would really limit it's usability. My hope/plan is to be able to house it all in an old dolphin MK2 torch for something a bit differant, I will have to modify it a fair bit as it will be a very tight fit (if it does). Now the wait for 13 packages/50 odd components to start arriving in the mail in a few weeks time.
hows it going...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »
hows it going...

Slowly, had a couple of packages that didn't arrive from China in the snail mail, the eBay one was refunded and I rebought and just got those on Monday but the actual Led's I bought through Aliexpress so had to wait 60 days for them not to show, then claim a refund and purchase again so they were sent last week, hopefully, they will get here quickly. With the led drivers I got on Monday it should allow me to get a fair bit more done in the meantime.

To say it's all going to be a tight fit is an understatement. I also realised when I got my hands on a torch that it's switch wouldn't work so then had to get another switch but with the current I am looking at I also needed to get some MOSFETs to do the switching.

Still to sort out how many 18650's I will use, I have thought if I run it at 12v it would mean I could use it of a car battery as well if I wanted, some quick calculations, however, tell me at full power it would be drawing about 35amp at 12v  :o

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
Slowly, had a couple of packages that didn't arrive from China in the snail mail, the eBay one was refunded and I rebought and just got those on Monday but the actual Led's I bought through Aliexpress so had to wait 60 days for them not to show, then claim a refund and purchase again so they were sent last week, hopefully, they will get here quickly. With the led drivers I got on Monday it should allow me to get a fair bit more done in the meantime.

To say it's all going to be a tight fit is an understatement. I also realised when I got my hands on a torch that it's switch wouldn't work so then had to get another switch but with the current I am looking at I also needed to get some MOSFETs to do the switching.

Still to sort out how many 18650's I will use, I have thought if I run it at 12v it would mean I could use it of a car battery as well if I wanted, some quick calculations, however, tell me at full power it would be drawing about 35amp at 12v  :o

:D finished ? :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
Not much progress unfortunately, ideally need a high current power supply to test it as I assemble it but don't want to spend big dollars so that is the current speed hump, I think a server power supply is the most likely contender, also need to get my hands on some 18650s

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2017, 12:47:29 AM »
Just ordered a server power supply to modify and 6x 18650's so should be able get it all happening shortly.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2017, 07:20:32 AM »
Just looking at the latest SuperCrap cattledog & saw this: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Calibre-LED-Spotlight-Cree-Rechargeable/404861

Pretty decent write-ups on it so thought I'd give it a go. Went through to checkout & found that I had a $10 credit there so only $29! :D

Definitely not going to get here before I go away tmw morning for the photo weekend though :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »
Just ordered a server power supply to modify and 6x 18650's so should be able get it all happening shortly.
and ??? ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
I picked up 2 torches at Bunnings off the throw out table, I think they were around $9 each. They are usb charging  with internal batteries but for $9 who cares. Charged them up, put one in the camper, one in the car. Must be near 2 years now. Have recharged one twice and one only once. Still holding there charge like new. Best buy ever for a torch.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/eiger-lighthouse-6w-cree-led-multifunction-spotlight_p4410609

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
and ??? ;D

:o That was almost a year ago, Had a bit of a hiccup with the 18650's in that I accidentally left the low voltage alarm on the battery pack I had made and went away and came back to a stuffed battery pack, that and a couple of other issues meant I got the jack of it, Having said that I got the box with all the bits down a week or two ago with the intention to have another crack at it before the end of the month and Uni starting back.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
:o That was almost a year ago, Had a bit of a hiccup with the 18650's in that I accidentally left the low voltage alarm on the battery pack I had made and went away and came back to a stuffed battery pack, that and a couple of other issues meant I got the jack of it, Having said that I got the box with all the bits down a week or two ago with the intention to have another crack at it before the end of the month and Uni starting back.

... and those 18650s arent cheap.. I've got 3 head torches I bought and 2 normal torches that take them :'( then theres teh charger :'(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2018, 12:58:26 PM »
... and those 18650s arent cheap.. I've got 3 head torches I bought and 2 normal torches that take them :'( then theres teh charger :'(

Yep and pretty much stuffed 6 of them so was about a $50 mistake from memory, My original plan was to hopefully rescue some out of faulty power tool batteries but haven't come across any yet. I should be able to use the power supply to get it working but not sure it's fused so need to wire one in there somewhere as it's capable of about 70A

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »
and ??? ;D

And... found a Victa 40v 4ah battery on the clearance shelf at Bunnings with a charger for $20 (would normally be $250ish) So grabbed that and harvested 20 18650 high-drain cells from it  ;D

Means I am able to run more batteries at a higher voltage that has helped overcome some of the other issues as well. All working now, just have to fit it all into a very confined space, hopefully, I'll soon stop seeing stars from testing it.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2018, 04:12:21 PM »
And... found a Victa 40v 4ah battery on the clearance shelf at Bunnings with a charger for $20 (would normally be $250ish) So grabbed that and harvested 20 18650 high-drain cells from it  ;D

Means I am able to run more batteries at a higher voltage that has helped overcome some of the other issues as well. All working now, just have to fit it all into a very confined space, hopefully, I'll soon stop seeing stars from testing it.
was actually looking at this thread earlier today LOL!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
Only took about two years from idea to conception, but think it's safe to say I now would have the brightest dolphin torch in the world.

Still waiting for the epoxy glue to set on a few bits but here are some pics, I haven't fully got it together in the 1st one due to waiting for glue to dry, should get some action shots in the next few days.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
Only took about two years from idea to conception, but think it's safe to say I now would have the brightest dolphin torch in the world.

Still waiting for the epoxy glue to set on a few bits but here are some pics, I haven't fully got it together in the 1st one due to waiting for glue to dry, should get some action shots in the next few days.

Wow, is that two copper coated flux capacitors on the top?

Great build.  :D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »
Wow, is that two copper coated flux capacitors on the top?

Great build.  :D

They are inductors, they are part of the constant current drivers for the LEDs. I'll probably do a run through video of it in the next week or so explaining it all.

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2018, 06:14:29 PM »
They are inductors, they are part of the constant current drivers for the LEDs. I'll probably do a run through video of it in the next week or so explaining it all.
I'll send you my dolphin...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2018, 06:24:59 PM »

I'll probably do a run through video of it in the next week or so explaining it all.

Hi,
     Yes please!
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »
Thought lasers were banned?🤣

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.