Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127625 times)

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »
Optus NBN. 98 down, 38 up, doesn't matter how many are connected, speed never drops.
There are speed packs that cost differing amounts.
Happy as a pig in sh!t.
I must be in a good location, as I had cable before and always produced speeds way above the average.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
Similar experience to ron.

I have no complaints. I gave it a "GOOD".
If it was markedly better than the Bigpond cable we had it would have scored "GREAT".

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 08:38:46 PM »
ShitE
Same as Bird and Darcy7, we're with Optus, and the whole bloody thing has been a debacle.
3 months after install and we are finally connected, slower than our ADSL cable that we were on,  and i wouldn't even bother to use the supplied modem as a paperweight.
Absolute joke.
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »
Great up here in Drouin. We are on wireless NBN. Mid 20's down - on ADSL we were in 1.3 or so. Uploads are about 4 which is up from .4 or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »
sounds like your provider was getting confused with the RT version of that device (just a router, no modem), rather than the DSL version (which includes a modem)...
They couldn't get it through their thick skulls that an ethernet port could be reconfigured as a wan port on my DSL router. Basically they were treating me like an idiot saying it could. I didn't tell them I have IT quals and work in IT. I just said "OK you are the experts".
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
They couldn't get it through their thick skulls that an ethernet port could be reconfigured as a wan port on my DSL router. Basically they were treating me like an idiot saying it could. I didn't tell them I have IT quals and work in IT. I just said "OK you are the experts".

;D

god forbid that someone else in the world has some knowledge of IT... :)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
Optus 'technician' is booked for Friday morning for the install. Optus owns the lines in our estate and gave everybody 3 months to cut over - nice.

BigDog816

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
ShitE
Same as Bird and Darcy7, we're with Optus, and the whole bloody thing has been a debacle.
3 months after install and we are finally connected, slower than our ADSL cable that we were on,  and i wouldn't even bother to use the supplied modem as a paperweight.
Absolute joke.

We currently have Optus Cable and got our letter from Optus this week saying we have to move by Nov 1st.  Also got a letter from NBN saying the date was in Late Jan 18.  Either way we need to change.  I'm very happy with my Optus Cable, don't have any speed issues or drop outs and we're only paying $50/month for unlimited, 30down/5up. 

While i'm sure we don't get the maximum speeds of 30/5 at the moment I've got an issue having to pay more to go onto the NBN for a 25/5 connection.  While the speed might be ok, given all the discussion about congestion I reckon take everyone in the area and put them on the same network with a lower maximum speed and it's going to be slower.

Optus are terrible to deal with so the only positive might be going to someone else.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »
Optus are terrible to deal with so the only positive might be going to someone else.

That's the bit that everyone forgets - with the move to NBN, there is no longer a near monopoly in an area for the faster speeds via Optus or Telstra; instead it is open to a number of providers.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »
That's the bit that everyone forgets - with the move to NBN, there is no longer a near monopoly in an area for the faster speeds via Optus or Telstra; instead it is open to a number of providers.
Exactly right, and then who is accountable if the whole system is slow, unreliable, and excessively priced.
You will get the old bulls8&t about "Not me, go see him."  Just like now with Telstra and the NBN Co.
It's not supplied as advertised and it's performance is unfit for purpose, slowest in the world.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:42 PM »
Haven't had any issues at all with NBN.....because apparently it's still about 12 months away from being at our place
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
Have been with Aussiebroadband for probably more than 15 years. Changed to NBN service about 2 years ago. Extremely reliable 25/5 speeds, faster and cheaper than what ever we had before. Had the original router die a month or 2 ago, but that is the only issue we had.

Can not speak highly enough of Aussiebroadband. Local call centre with the most helpful staff I have ever come across. Owner is top bloke. A great contributer to the community and the feed back I get from staff is it is great company to work for.

As for the cost of the NBN - how could anyone ever think that we could have a world class hardwired network across one of the worlds most spreadout populations cheaper than a smaller, more populated country.
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:04 AM »
As for the cost of the NBN - how could anyone ever think that we could have a world class hardwired network across one of the worlds most spreadout populations cheaper than a smaller, more populated country.

Yep we're number 233 at 3 per squ/km and really kicking ass over Western Sahara and Mongolia  ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_population_density

Well NBNCo have passed the halfway mark and the average cost per premise of the fixed wiring is FTTN at $2200, FTTDP(kerb) at $2800 and FTTP at $4200 (that's greenfields and not brownfields too remember) and the satellite stuff is anyone's guess. Instigator Minister for Comms, Senator Conroy was thinking $1500 a premise for full fibre when the 14 finalist tenderers gave him the bad news and here we all are. As one wit put it succinctly we're now stuck with turning a really, really bad idea into a really bad idea, but we should also note it was Netflix that tipped a bucket on the best laid plans of mice and men but they're the good guys in the whole super highway/ productivity/yada yada saga apparently. Perish the thought it was all about facilitating a nation of couch potatoes for the grandkids to pay off  :-[

Yes I've heard many plaudits for Aussiebroadband but also it does come down to a lottery with peak congestion depending on your particular area. The BIL is rapt with 25/5 FTTN in Eden Hills in Adelaide after really slow copper due to the distance from the exchange. I'm on pretty good ADSL anyway although there's HFC on the poles in our street already so presumably that's what I'll get (late 2018 at this stage). Another really slow slowpoke in Marino (again max distance from her exchange) is about to go live with brand new HFC laid in her street so no doubt it will be a big improvement for her. Oh and one of my tenants is on while the landlord waits patiently.

Overall the rollout is really cracking along now and it is a work in progress so when it's largely complete there's no reason why NBNCo's attention can't then focus on addressing weak spots/congestion and further general upgrading over the long haul. Clearly they need to get the bucks rolling in and pay for the massive investment ASAP though.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »
We have a place 42km South of Rockhampton that only has NBN via satellite.
Best speed recorded is 5.28. Worst was 0.78 in clear weather.
Limited data packages, high price, internet drops out in heavy clouds, rain or storms.
Better than nothing but bloody pathetic compared to many third world countries.
I'd welcomeTurnbull or some NBN cronies come here and tell me how good NBN is.
Cheers

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »
I went with TPG's 100Mbps unlimited package.
The whole process only took about a week. New modem turned up in the mail. Got an email to say the connection was ready. Plugged the modem into the existing wall socket, and within a few minutes it was all up and running.

Initially the speeds were all over the place. Generally around the 25Mbps download, but occasionally dropping to as slow as 12 or thereabouts.
Over time it's actually improved. It's now generally in the high 40s, and upload speed has always been consistently in the low 30s.

Considering our ADSL2 connection ran at around 6 or 7 down, it's a significant improvement.
Getting anywhere near the 100 I'm paying for would be nice though.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »

World class??????........
You are joking aren't you?
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
^^ What he said.
11 Years ago before we moved to Australia we have cable internet.
We have cable internet now again from Telstra and it is sooooo slow and dropping out a lot.
Last week we received an email from Telstra that NBN is coming in our area.
Will see.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2017, 12:44:49 PM »
I went with TPG's 100Mbps unlimited package.

Getting anywhere near the 100 I'm paying for would be nice though.

Have you spoken to them Merts ???

Have seen quite a few comments on Whirlpool re people not getting anywhere near their 100Mbps, & after chasing their ISP, found they were actually set on the wrong speed :'( >:(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
Have you spoken to them Merts ???

Have seen quite a few comments on Whirlpool re people not getting anywhere near their 100Mbps, & after chasing their ISP, found they were actually set on the wrong speed :'( >:(

I haven't bothered yet, but you are right, I should ask the question.
I reckon I've seen it over 50 on a couple of occasions which i wouldn't expect if they'd set it for 50 max, and I've just assumed its a limit of the network. The last bit to our house is ancient copper.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »
World class??????........
You are joking aren't you?

My fluent sarcasm must be slipping 😄
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2017, 10:01:19 PM »
Just tested mine again. 63/32, so definitely not limited to 50.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 04:21:14 AM »
It's chit and through iiNet. Told them their bill will not be getting paid due to all the drop outs = up to ten times an hour.  >:( One month cost us 69cents. so I'll see what happens again but what f-wit thinks it's good too use 50yr old copper wiring in coastal areas???????? ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:10 AM »
Just tested mine again. 63/32, so definitely not limited to 50.

Yeah, if you're getting 63/32, then that's probably the best you can expect, especially with old copper :'(

Would be nice if you were then able to only pay them "$63" / mth, rather than "$100" >:D

Maybe everybody on NBN (& those who haven't yet swapped over) should just start doing that - I only get 3/1 speed, so I'm only going to pay you $3/mth - reckon we'd all see some pretty quick, dramatic action on getting speeds sorted! :D >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
Or perhaps if we were all prepared to stump up the difference between Conroy's back of the beer coaster sums and those NBN actual costs we could then demand a bit more for our dough?
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
Yeah, if you're getting 63/32, then that's probably the best you can expect, especially with old copper :'(

Would be nice if you were then able to only pay them "$63" / mth, rather than "$100" >:D

Maybe everybody on NBN (& those who haven't yet swapped over) should just start doing that - I only get 3/1 speed, so I'm only going to pay you $3/mth - reckon we'd all see some pretty quick, dramatic action on getting speeds sorted! :D >:D

Quick dramatic action? If you don't pay the  bill they might act quickly to pull the plug. 😀