Author Topic: Solo in a CVT  (Read 2344 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
Solo in a CVT
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »
Any Swaggers go solo in a CT and care to comment?
I went off for five nights last week in my newly-acquired (secondhand) Red Earth offroad softfloor CT (made in Perth, very good trailer).
Set-up went OK for my first time, apart from some minor glitches (bracer bars were hidden under the mattress, for example).
When it came time to pack up, I was very grateful for help from two fellow campers. I found that folding the tent up on my own would have been quite difficult (I'm late 60s and not all that fit).
I'm planning another outing soon to see what happens, but obviously I cannot always rely on other people being around to help.
I guess my question is this: Is using a CT essentially an activity for two people?

Cheers, Tony

Offline Mr Ploppy

• I Should Be Out Camping!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • Tier Gear
Re: Solo in a CVT
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:06:58 AM »
Hi Tony,
There are some campers that are easier to put up and down solo than others, not sure what yours is like. What exactly did you have problems with when packing it up? You have certainly picked a nice way to get fit  :D.
"When the deities are with you, you can cross the ocean on a plank. When they are against you, you can drown in a ditch".

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
Although I know my product won't suit everyone, travelling solo was a big factor in why I designed mine the way I did. For instance, tucking-in canvas while attempting to clamp-down a lid etc can be difficult, or impossibe, for one person

What problems did you have Digger? Maybe we can invent a robot to assist.. one that doesn't say 'You're doing it wrong!"  ;D

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
oldigger  The more you become fimilure with the CT the quicker it is to deal with . Both myself & SWOMBO  ( She Who Should Be Obayed ) can set up & down along . As you go there will be ways to use the ropes to help you fold over the canvas , or lye on top of the cover to compress the tent to do up the zips etc , its just a matter of getting out there & into it  :cheers: Things will get better  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
Thanks for replies (especially Speewa's kind words). I'm going to give it another go, armed with advice from the manufacturer, who assures me it can be done alone if approached in the right way (he might have told me the details of the right way earlier . . . ).

Should have mentioned the fun I had putting the waterproof zip-on cover on the CT after finally getting the tent folded up. Just could not get the zip lined up. Cursed and fumbled, pulled and folded . . . and then the light-bulb moment: it was upside down and inside out!! Quick turnover and it went on and zipped up like a comfortable old boot.

Really starting to wonder if I should be out in the bush on my own . . .

Cheers, Tony

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
Solo in a CVT
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
Maybe see if you can find others to go camping with. Plan a trip and "advertise" it on myswag and see if others want to go too

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:34:35 AM »
My SWOMBO tells me if you read the instructions things go together better . What adventures woulkd be missed if we all did that  ;D ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »
My SWOMBO tells me if you read the instructions things go together better

Hi,
   real men don't read instructions.

cheers

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »
Actually, nobody reads instructions becos there are none!
Bought a you-beaut big computer screen a while ago, had to cart it back to the shop and ask how you turned the bloody thing on.
Smarmy little 18-y-o said I had to stroke it gently on the bottom righthand corner of the frame . . . "and everyone knows that."
After a short, sharp conversation, he was not quite so smarmy  . . .

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »

I'll assume you've got all soft (floor that is) and I believe these are a 2 person thing.  "We" have a hard floor, and chose this particular type of camper because one day I'm going to have to put it away on my own or he will have to ... either or ... you just never know when a medical emergency might require this ... it had to be easy to hitch up and tow as well.  No use having one of us whisked off by the flying doctor and the other one being left behind to TRY to get the camper and vehicle on the road in the middle of nowhere.

It was a consideration for us when purchasing.

Which reminds me ... I should also get that 4WD course under my belt as well ... and SOON!

Kit_e

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog