Author Topic: help in buying a new camper  (Read 1739 times)

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
help in buying a new camper
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:49:42 AM »
Hi,

I've now an approval from the senate committee (WAF) that we can buy a camper.
our budget is from 5K to 7K max. hoping for 7K its ready to go. no major repairs needed just probably mostly cleaning to look nice.

I saw an ad in Gumtree a 2001 Jayco eagle, looks nice within budget so I would like to look at it personally this weekend.
As I have never bought a second hand camper before, what things should I look for? what things I need to try, tips and ideas before buying a camper.

Most important is the legitimacy of ownership of the camper? what can I check that before I see him? what can I check that he really owns the camper?

Thanks

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: help in buying a new camper
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:12 AM »
Re ownership
I believe you need vin and or rego info to do a revs check at your leisure!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
Yes you want to check the VIN on the compliance plate and number welded on drawbar plus rego number tally with the rego papers and owner ID and it's all clear on the official PPSR site where you pay for an all clear printout- https://www.ppsr.gov.au/
When you search for ppsr here are some private up front ones that charge you more and are just raking a commission off the top to do the same thing  :-*

With Jaycos apart from the obvious overall condition checks (any water leak damage in particular) it's all about the condition of the canvas tent which can cost $3.5-$4k to renew so bear that in mind although you can buy accordingly. In that respect do enquire with Jayco as to a genuine replacement as I got quoted $2440 supply for a 2003 Dove when the flyscreens were starting to split but I had new screens stitched in for $800 but R&R the tent myself which is a bit of fun. You can't fix busted/stuck zippers without R&R too remember.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
Get them to show you putting it up and packing it down too.
With it up you get the chance to check the canvas for damage, don't just blindly accept 'It's all good Mate.'.

Maybe take someone else along too, someone you trust, for valued judgement.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Thanks guys
What's the usual price range of a 2001 jayco eagle?

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
Obviously good to look for rust, wheel bearing play/noise and brakes.

And check the condition and age of the tyres. If they are move than 5 years old budget to replace them regardless of condition.

Also worthwhile getting the seller to put the fridge on well in advance of you showing up so you can see if it gets cold.

Being a Jayco Eagle owner I might be biased but I love ours, just don’t get it out enough.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 05:11:29 AM »
Hi mheloy, It mite not be older enough but check all the corners to see if the ply is not rotted out and under the sink to, make shore the winch gear cables are in good nick and the pulleys on the corners and everything is bolted or screwed down nicely to do with the lifting gear, I have a 83 Jayco with 6 in our mob we love it, and as others have said make sure the canvas is in great nick, Craig
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:13:22 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer