Author Topic: Off road van or hybrid  (Read 8065 times)

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
  • When smoking a fish, never inhale
    • Our big lap
Off road van or hybrid
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
We have been travelling Aus for 13 months in a off road camper trailer 2a and 2k and on the road full time for the next 3 years at least. I have been thinking about changing our setup to a off road van or hybrid type. We still want to contine to be able to head off road like oodnadatta track, birdsville, savannah way, cape yorke etc. I have a budget of $35 max. I dont mind if i need to do stuff to the van to get it set up for free camping and building bunk beds for the kids, dont need a toliet or shower either and dont really want to tow a big van so thinking around 16foot max. Tow vehicle is a 2011 colorado with mods.So with all that in mind what brands should i be looking for in that price range. I was leaning more towards a hybrid type as still love to live and cook outside, more looking at the ease of setup and the ablilty to maybe stay north and work during a wet season if we want.
Thanks for your help.
Follow me camper pentacost
https://www.facebook.com/campingaroundoz

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Off road van or hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
Not sure how much hybrid you get for $35k, or genuine 'full offroad' van.

For me, I think caravans have the advantage if you get stuck for a week in hideous weather, that you have space not to be on top of each other and inside and warm.

Personally I think most hybrids are vastly overpriced

YMMV.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
    • Our big lap
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »
Not sure how much hybrid you get for $35k, or genuine 'full offroad' van.

For me, I think caravans have the advantage if you get stuck for a week in hideous weather, that you have space not to be on top of each other and inside and warm.

Personally I think most hybrids are vastly overpriced

YMMV.

Be looking at 2nd and not really fussed about the age and looks inside either.
Was going to have a look at the Parkes 13 for a hybrid when we get closer to Perth.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »
We have been travelling Aus for 13 months in a off road camper trailer 2a and 2k and on the road full time for the next 3 years at least. I have been thinking about changing our setup to a off road van or hybrid type. We still want to contine to be able to head off road like oodnadatta track, birdsville, savannah way, cape yorke etc. I have a budget of $35 max. I dont mind if i need to do stuff to the van to get it set up for free camping and building bunk beds for the kids, dont need a toliet or shower either and dont really want to tow a big van so thinking around 16foot max. Tow vehicle is a 2011 colorado with mods.So with all that in mind what brands should i be looking for in that price range. I was leaning more towards a hybrid type as still love to live and cook outside, more looking at the ease of setup and the ablilty to maybe stay north and work during a wet season if we want.
Thanks for your help.

I think in that price range you are predominately looking at used, Hybrids seem to be a reasonably new concept so there are not many older ones available used compared to older off-road vans, to me most hybrids seem to be more aimed at couples rather than families. Have a look at whats available in your price range and think what would best suit you, as everybody's need are different.

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/results/?Price_Min=20000&Price_Max=40000&Q=%28%28%28%28%28%28SaleStatus%3D%5BFor+Sale%5D%26Service%3D%5BCaravancampingsales%5D%29%26LengthFeet%3Drange%5B..16%5D%29%26SleepingCapacity%3Drange%5B4..%5D%29%26IndustryAll%3Dkeyword%5Boffroad%5D%29%26Service%21%3D%5BShowroom%5D%29%26%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer+Used%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer+New%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate+Used%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer+Near+New%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BFor+Auction%5D%29%29&sort=Premium&SearchAction=Pagination

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
Quote from: campingaroundoz
Be looking at 2nd and not really fussed about the age and looks inside either.
Fair enough..
I'm with you on that, just most people want shiny new :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
What some call hybrids are just a pop top with ali checker plate to look tough, outside kitchen and high clearance suspension. Agree that they are over priced.
When we were looking at upgrading we came across our used custom made van.
IMO its far better than most on the market, extremely well made and because its a no name, alot cheaper than others in the "hybrid" category.
Ive seen a few on the market over the last few years. Caravan camping sales web site and Gumtree are the places to watch.
Older North Coast Campers 14ft vans can be had for mid 40k, a very well made and laid out van.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: campingaroundoz

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
We've recently gone from an Adventure camper-trailer  to a small off-road van and couldn't be happier. I must agree with Bird  on this one in that some of the "hybrids" on the market seem to be incredibly expensive for what you get.
We ended up with a Trakmaster Sturt X-county, still not a cheap option but certainly a lot more affordable than most of the good quality hybrids. It hasn't got a full outside kitchen as such, but does have a fantastic slide out stainless barbie that pretty much covers all our cooking bases when we can't use a fire.  Just add a small folding table next to it and you can do all your food prep and dishes on this without any dramas. Certainly works for us, about the only thing we do inside is boil the kettle !
You can pick up an older Trakmaster around your price range I'd reckon, good luck in your search :cheers:
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite
The following users thanked this post: Diver

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
    • Our big lap
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »
We've recently gone from an Adventure camper-trailer  to a small off-road van and couldn't be happier. I must agree with Bird  on this one in that some of the "hybrids" on the market seem to be incredibly expensive for what you get.
We ended up with a Trakmaster Sturt X-county, still not a cheap option but certainly a lot more affordable than most of the good quality hybrids. It hasn't got a full outside kitchen as such, but does have a fantastic slide out stainless barbie that pretty much covers all our cooking bases when we can't use a fire.  Just add a small folding table next to it and you can do all your food prep and dishes on this without any dramas. Certainly works for us, about the only thing we do inside is boil the kettle !
You can pick up an older Trakmaster around your price range I'd reckon, good luck in your search :cheers:
Thanks for the info, i have been keeping an eye on the trackmaster range, do you have kids or is it just a 2 berth, if thats the case how hard would it be to build some bunks?
Thanks again

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the info, i have been keeping an eye on the trackmaster range, do you have kids or is it just a 2 berth, if thats the case how hard would it be to build some bunks?
Thanks again
Our kids are all grown up now and it's just the two of us on the queen bed. Not sure how you'd go building bunks to be honest but it might be an option in one of their bigger vans ?
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 07:41:40 PM »
We have the same problem. Just returned from our annual Cape trip & we have well & truly outgrown our CUB camper. Nothing wrong with it, we just want less canvas & more useable space specific to our needs. Weight is an issue for me, I don't want to tow anything heavy, all new hybrids are waaay overpriced for what you get as well. I'm now looking at putting a slide-on camper (pop-top) onto a trailer. Just need to think about the layout for sleeping arrangements for our son, plus easy outdoor shower set-up. My cousin just put a slide-on onto his 79 series ute & I was impressed with the opportunities available for personal mods. But if a Kingston Exodus comes up again in next 6 months I'll gladly buy it, best hybrid ever made
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
    • Our big lap
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
We have the same problem. Just returned from our annual Cape trip & we have well & truly outgrown our CUB camper. Nothing wrong with it, we just want less canvas & more useable space specific to our needs. Weight is an issue for me, I don't want to tow anything heavy, all new hybrids are waaay overpriced for what you get as well. I'm now looking at putting a slide-on camper (pop-top) onto a trailer. Just need to think about the layout for sleeping arrangements for our son, plus easy outdoor shower set-up. My cousin just put a slide-on onto his 79 series ute & I was impressed with the opportunities available for personal mods. But if a Kingston Exodus comes up again in next 6 months I'll gladly buy it, best hybrid ever made4

Thanks for the good info, we love our drifta dot and will find it hard to part ways with but its those times in crap weather when stuff like kids school work needs to be done some hard walls would be nice.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
Leets been on the road for 12 months......figured you guys would be advising us.

Cannot help much......

Four years on the road is living what most of us are dreaming. Good luck with it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »
Yep wet weather on return journey & trying to do school journal sealed the deal for a camper upgrade for us, now just waiting on the ok to put the 4.5 v8 into the 80  :cup: True Nirvana

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
    • Our big lap
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
Yep wet weather on return journey & trying to do school journal sealed the deal for a camper upgrade for us, now just waiting on the ok to put the 4.5 v8 into the 80  :cup: True Nirvana4
Can u fit one into a colorado lol

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »
Give it a go :laugh:
The 4.5 is going to be the only way we do the lap with ease, the things you learn while travelling  ;D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
Give Nick at Regional Campers a call..

He has some very kewl Shit coming up in his Hybrids
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
    • Our big lap

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Quote from: campingaroundoz
Nice bird, all we need to do now is win the lotto

boy.... don't I know that feeling :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS

Offline campingaroundoz

• Swag User
    • Our big lap

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
Tombie on here has a Jurgens, not sure if it's a stargazer.

Xplorer great bit of kit.
We’ve added some solar, I did a Victron upgrade to the onboard charging system and we’ve added a few little things like a better water pump and other little tweaks.

Taken it on some really rough tracks without a problem.

A good second hand unit will be $23-30k new $50k

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 08:05:13 AM »
Tombie, do you have the (Alko?) independent rubber strut suspension and over ride brakes on your Xplorer?  I like these vans but am a bit put off by the suspension and brakes.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »
Stargazers/explorers are very hit and miss.
The rubber suspended ones are all straight parallel imports or early models which didn't go at all well. It was a while ago now that I was looking at them but chassis' snapping, panels rotting etc was pretty common. The Australian delivered product had cruisemaster suspension and proper steel chassis and was a different beast, as are the current ones I believe. I was pretty keen on one because it was the biggest thing I could fit in my garage but it was too hard to get any straight answers about them and there are plenty of threads like the one below floating around about them.

https://www.exploroz.com/forum/105363/jurgens-caravans#_=_
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:58:07 AM by GBC »