Author Topic: Fraser island  (Read 10342 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Fraser island
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »
A lot depends on conditions prior to you getting there and weather / tides etc  ..
Once I hit the island at Hook point  its a steady 60 kph or less cruise up the beach for me depending on conditions [  If using the inland track from Hook point add another hour as its 16 klicks of rough as guts corrugations and tennis ball + size gravel ]  .
Good conditions flat wide beach 3 hrs either side of low tide, Not too many wash outs and water filled low tide lagoons and  sand at the Poyungan and Yidney rocks 1:45 min give or take + or - 10 min ..
Rough beach lumpy  angled not real wide and soft with lots of bays/ washouts etc,  lots of coffee rock at poyungan / yidney and chard rocks .. could be 2.5 hours +..
In 2009 we battled our way up the island for a good 2 + hours  and couldnt get past the Chard rocks [ normaly covered over with sand ]  just north of Happy Valley  even at low tide as the seas were pushing well in .. That was winter time though .
Pic taken just north of the  Chard rocks a few days after the seas had dropped off .
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:09:34 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »
A lot depends on conditions prior to you getting there and weather / tides etc  ..
Once I hit the island at Hook point  its a steady 60 kph or less cruise up the beach for me depending on conditions [  If using the inland track from Hook point add another hour as its 16 klicks of rough as guts corrugations and tennis ball + size gravel ]  .
Good conditions flat wide beach 3 hrs either side of low tide, Not too many wash outs and water filled low tide lagoons and  sand at the Poyungan and Yidney rocks 1:45 min give or take + or - 10 min ..
Rough beach lumpy  angled not real wide and soft with lots of bays/ washouts etc,  lots of coffee rock at poyungan / yidney and chard rocks .. could be 2.5 hours +..
In 2009 we battled our way up the island for a good 2 + hours  and couldnt get past the Chard rocks [ normaly covered over with sand ]  just north of Happy Valley  even at low tide as the seas were pushing well in .. That was winter time though .
Pic taken just north of the  Chard rocks a few days after the seas had dropped off.
Thanks Edz  :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 03:33:57 AM »
When we go to Fraser we usually beach camp in the Marloo area Zone 8, personally I like to stay north of Indian head as the tourist bus's and the backpacker crowd don't go up that far.  It is much more quiet.  Once set up there you are only a short drive from Orchid Beach where you can get the essentials if needed, and there is fresh water as well as toilets and hot showers at Waddy Point.

Only downsides of camping up that way is that you are a long way from the attractions, and depending on the tides it can take 3+ hours to get up there.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
When we go to Fraser we usually beach camp in the Marloo area Zone 8, personally I like to stay north of Indian head as the tourist bus's and the backpacker crowd don't go up that far.  It is much more quiet.  Once set up there you are only a short drive from Orchid Beach where you can get the essentials if needed, and there is fresh water as well as toilets and hot showers at Waddy Point.

Only downsides of camping up that way is that you are a long way from the attractions, and depending on the tides it can take 3+ hours to get up there.

Symon

How busy is Marloo over the xmas break?
I am after info on Marloo, Ocean Lake and Duling, especially how busy it is.
Don't want to camp on top of someone.
I will be camping and fishing.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

BigDog816

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
The new Queensland Parks Website is actually pretty good you can select your campsite and check availability, or search dates and see which grounds are available.

Over peak periods they typically double the available capacity you can see it in the availability as they show available/booked quantities or similar.
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
Fraser island
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
I just booked beach camping today for just after Christmas and over new year.
Had plenty available.
My guess is less than half full. (So far)
We have been going for I have no idea how many years.
It gets busy/busier but as of yet we have never had neighbours too close. Unless traveling with us that is.
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Quote from: Symon
na not a downside.. it keeps the scrotes away so its a great 3 hour trip!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
We went to Fraser during the recent school holidays in September and the National Parks have done a fantastic job limiting numbers which makes not only a far more enjoyable experience for us campers, but also a lot less stress on the actual camping grounds.

I think we camped in area 4 which allows up to 80 people at any one time. Being school holidays this area was ‘booked out’ but not including the other family we went with, our nearest neighbour would have been 50m away which allowed everyone space and privacy.

Coming home and driving though Inskip Point is a totally different matter with hordes of campers crammed in and not my idea for fun.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
We went to Fraser during the recent school holidays in September and the National Parks have done a fantastic job limiting numbers which makes not only a far more enjoyable experience for us campers, but also a lot less stress on the actual camping grounds.

I think we camped in area 4 which allows up to 80 people at any one time. Being school holidays this area was ‘booked out’ but not including the other family we went with, our nearest neighbour would have been 50m away which allowed everyone space and privacy.

Coming home and driving though Inskip Point is a totally different matter with hordes of campers crammed in and not my idea for fun.

Gotta agree we were on fraser from the long end on for a week.

Only one night could we see another camper and this was at Central Station....although 50m away.

We didn't camp Ocean Lake but it was popular and looking a little crowed. We drove around it a bit and the are looked tired from the holidays.

All other zones had plenty of room between campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone especially Edz and the big fella, appreciate your efforts and PM’s that’s why I love this joint :cup: We have booked 8 nights on the island around New Years in a couple of Zones. Now just gotta work out some finer details, save some more cash and we are there  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:35:39 PM by Black Diamond »
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
I thought Inskip was on the quiet side last holidays for what I've seen it previous....at times the 2wd cars line the sides of the road the entire length of the camp ground, the place resembles a refugee camp. When we visited Inskip for the day during the September holidays, i was surprised to see so many vacant areas, the areas closest to the barges where popular, but it gets much worse then that.....definately not my idea of fun either.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t