Author Topic: Fraser island  (Read 10529 times)

Offline tobie

• Learning the Ropes
Fraser island
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:31:13 PM »
Hello all
Going to Fraser Island after Christmas with the tribe, staying at king fisher bay resort and doing day trips
Is 4 days long enought to explore the Island
Anything in particular to look at and or avoid
Not really a fisher man, more so going for a look

Will I need a winch ? I will have basic recovery gear, max traxx and snatch strap
Do most people give u a hand if your stuck ?

Do u need to book the barge , I gather we get on the king fisher bay barge ? Where does this load from, we are staying at Harvey bay the night before

Think I have asked all basic questions
2010 dual cab hilux , most of the fruit
2008 vdj79 work ute,

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Fraser island
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »
4 days isn't long enough but it will give you a taster.

No need for a winch....good to see you have basic recovery gear

Lower your tyre pressures and you shouldn't stuck.....I only help those who are happy to lower tyre pressures.

Leaving from Harvey Bay I would say you have to book....that's only a guess

Offline BrettMG

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »
G'day Tobie. We were there a week ago (first time visitors). Stayed 4 days and really only explored south end of island. Didn't need recovery gear on the island (but really only did inland tracks). Lowered tyre pressure to around 18psi. Most people seem pretty friendly and willing to give you a hand! We took the barge from Inskip so can't help you in that department.
Have a great time! :cheers:
2013 Ford Ranger XL
2012 Jayco Swan

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:23 PM »
yes you'll need to book the barge from Hervey Bay, i'd be getting on the phone ASAP to try and do that if i was you. 4 days is no where near enough time to explore the island, but it's better then being at work.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline RWS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »
Hello all
Going to Fraser Island after Christmas with the tribe, staying at king fisher bay resort and doing day trips
Is 4 days long enought to explore the Island
Anything in particular to look at and or avoid
Not really a fisher man, more so going for a look

Will I need a winch ? I will have basic recovery gear, max traxx and snatch strap
Do most people give u a hand if your stuck ?

Do u need to book the barge , I gather we get on the king fisher bay barge ? Where does this load from, we are staying at Harvey bay the night before

Think I have asked all basic questions

As Weeds and Rumpig said 4 days is a bit short. Fraser is a big place (120km long 24km at its widest point) and takes time to get from one place to another.

Plenty of sights to see. Central Station, Eli Creek, Lake Wabby, Lake Allom, Maheno wreck, The Pinnacles...the list goes on...to many to mention. http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/pdf/fraser-island-map.pdf

Your basic recovery gear will be fine...you most likely wont use it, providing you lower your tyre pressures.

River heads is where the barge leaves from. You will need to pre-book by the look of it. http://www.fraserislandferry.com.au/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:03:26 PM by RWS »

Offline Muckinhell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Ecomate traveller forward fold.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »
i would say an important ? is what vehicle are you going to be taking?
2005 HDJ100r Sahara
Better to look at it, than for it!

Offline wasn

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
If you are based out of KFB watch out for tourist bus on the soft tracks. The only give way to trees.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
In theory you will have two days to explore......plenty to see.....don't worry about the tourist buses they can wait.....easy if they are behind you a pain when they are coming toward you.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
The mad mile - so named as its about a mile long is a couple of kilometres behind the resort - is soft at the moment. Do yourself a favour and heed the 18 psi recommendations and do it before leaving the resort rather than getting stuck on the track. Pay attention to tides if trying to head up the ocean beach on day trips. 2 days is maybe enough to do a bit around the southern end and around central station and the lakes. Don't try to push your schedules on the island, you'll come undone. Relax, see a little bit, have fun.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
Oh yeah what dates are you on the island.....tides will slow/hold you up.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »
Maxx Trax (or a clone), you might need them, but someelse blocking a track might...

Offline tobie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
Thanks for all replies
I am taking my dual cab hilux , has most of the gear on it😜
We have booked the barge tonight online, think we have it booked for 4 nights stay so enough time for a taste of looking about
Done a bit of beach driving before .
Read about heading north there is a bit of a difficult track , just was curious how u go if you do get stuck, as travelling n my own
Dates going around 11 January
2010 dual cab hilux , most of the fruit
2008 vdj79 work ute,

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 10:18:53 PM »
Take a flight of the beach too, just approach the pilots directly and organise / pay ,,aprox $80 pp .. bit of inspiration for you http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/edzo006/media/FRASER%20%20%20%20ICEHOUSE.mp4.html?o=0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:20:24 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 05:25:56 AM »
A snatch strap and maxtrax is all you'll ever need for recovery gear.  People are usually glad to help you out if you have your own strap.  As others have said drop your tyre pressures and you will be fine.

4 days is nowhere near enough, so you'll be pretty much confined to the southern parts of the island but there is still plenty to see and do.

My tips -

- keep your speed down on the beach, there are plenty of washouts that are hard to see where you can come unstuck pretty quickly
- tour buses never give way, so if you see one look for somewhere to dive into the bush
- carry a full jerry can over, the fuel prices on the island will make you cry
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 08:41:24 AM »

- tour buses never give way, so if you see one look for somewhere to dive into the bush

We went there in mid winter, no buses or many 4wd's either......so relaxed driving around.......but it was freezing cold of a night.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline stevem

• Swag User
    • SKM Design
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »
4 days is tight, but you'll get to spend plenty of time at the nearby place to wet your appetite for next time.

Coming from Hervey Bay is a fair ferry ride over. On the inland tracks watch for tree roots sticking out - you have a far greater chance of buggering a tyre than you'll ever look like getting bogged.

I run my unladen hilux's on 20-22 PSI and never in 20 years pf going over there have I looked like getting stuck.

Biggest thing is watch the tides. Also its a fair drive from KF resort to the eastern beach so if you do plan to head up the beach you're best to time leaving the resort so you get to the beach at the right time to suit the tides.

Lake Mackenzie, Central Station, Elli Creek, Maheno Wreck plus the other perched lakes in the area will be about all you'll get to see. If you head too far north don't risk the tides, its a longer drive than you think.

If you go to Lake Mackenzie go early in the morning and have a swim before the bus loads arrive and you'll have the beach mostly to yoursleves.

Have fun, I can guarantee you that once you go over there you'll be hooked for life :)

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
Sorry for the hijack. Just a quick few questions for the Pro’s.

Whats it like up there after Christmas in regards to weather and conditions. I would imagine it would be quiet busy. Coming from Mexico are we likely to die from heat exhaustion that time of year? >:(
How long in advance would I need to book campgrounds for that time of year and is it too late now?

I have 4 weeks up my sleeve so imagine that would be plenty of time to get up there, spend A bit of time and head back. Was weighing up whether to head south west or up that way but not sold yet. Thoughts?

:cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 08:25:46 PM »
Hey BD .. Book NOW ..   Yep you will have heat and humidity  day and night, throw into that usually a cooling 10 t 20 kt breeze during most days  and the usual scattered  sub tropical storms we get at those times of year if your lucky  ..
 Remember the Island is 130 km long though, so leaves room for plenty of weather to miss you .  Say 18* to 24*C at night and  24* to 38*C + humidity in the mid to Hi  80%+ range of a day  .. So basicaly a light sheet needed for sleeping . Not to say you wont get a cooler night at some point of the stay .
Take anti aircraft guns for the March flies [ yes I know its December / January and not March, They dont ]...
Zones 5 and 6  [ 60 to 80 k up the Island ]  are pretty central  for outings and good fishing gutters etc .... Zone 7 .. 80+ k up usualy pretty deserted.
Zone 8 Marloo [ aprox 110 k up ]] is very nice / busy, usualy very good gutters for fishing,  but would make southern trips a pain and tide dependent ...
Dundaburra NPWS campground gets hot with little or no breeze .as its 500m back up in the dunes and trees [ very shaded for solar mostly ] similar  with Waddy point top campground .. Most beach camping you lose the sun about 3 / 4 in the arvo but can bare the brunt of high winds at times, Take good sand pegs and spares + batten things down when you set up just in case the weather turns rough ..easier then than during a wet  windy  night .. Ask me how I know  ;D
http://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/pdf/fraser-island-map.pdf
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:29:55 PM by edz »

Offline Black Diamond

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »
Hey BD .. Book NOW ..   Yep you will have heat and humidity  day and night, throw into that usually a cooling 10 t 20 kt breeze during most days  and the usual scattered  sub tropical storms we get at those times of year if your lucky  ..
 Remember the Island is 130 km long though, so leaves room for plenty of weather to miss you .  Say 18* to 24*C at night and  24* to 38*C + humidity in the mid to Hi  80%+ range .. So basicaly a light sheet needed for sleeping . Not to say you wont get a cooler night at some point of the stay .
Take anti aircraft guns for the March flies [ yes I know its December / January and not March, They dont ]...
Zones 5 and 6  [ 60 to 80 k up the Island ]  are pretty central  for outings and good fishing gutters etc .... Zone 7 .. 80+ k up usualy pretty deserted.
Zone 8 Marloo [ aprox 110 k up ]] is very nice / busy, usualy very good gutters for fishing,  but would make southern trips a pain and tide dependent ...
Dundaburra NPWS campground gets hot with little or no breeze .as its 500m back up in the dunes and trees [ very shaded for solar mostly ] similar  with Waddy point top campground .. Most beach camping you lose the sun about 3 / 4 in the arvo but can bare the brunt of high winds at times, Take good sand pegs and spares + batten things down when you set up just in case the weather turns rough ..easier then than during a wet  windy  night .. Ask me how I know  ;D
http://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/pdf/fraser-island-map.pdf
Superstar mate exactly the sort of stuff I’m after  :cheers:
;D yep I always take the sand pegs. I’ve also seen first hand what can happen without them ;D
Best spots to base with a trailer?
Will make a decision in the next week  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:14:42 PM by Black Diamond »
1996 80 series Cruiser

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »
BD....thread is two years old.

Having just come off the island I would suggest beach camping. I don't it would be booked out as I would call XMAS school holiday peak season.

You will spend a lot of time driving so you will relief from your air-con.....beach camping will hopefully give you a breeze to keep you cool.

We racked up 600km over the nine days.

Planning is fun, good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:05:59 PM »
[quote ]

My favourites are Zones  5  and 6, Both have spots that are not far from very small streams /  seepage creeks for wash / shower water ONLY  if you have a portable set up ..[  We use 3 x 25 ltr drums for shower / wash water ] and have a few areas that you can get tucked in behind a dune if needed away from the wind [ no views though  ] unless you walk up on the low fore dune .
Zone 5 ...    Maheno and Wahba has some protected spots behind small dunes
Zone 6 ...    Eugarie and Yurru has protected spots low and  high dunes and casurina trees and open areas
                  Gurruman  is fairly open with areas to tuck in between some casurina trees for wind breaks on the southern end less  towards the Northern end ..
Zone 6 would give you more scope as there are 3 areas to find a spot in ...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:48:09 AM by edz »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 08:22:37 AM »
Quote from: Black Diamond
Superstar mate exactly the sort of stuff I’m after  :cheers:
;D yep I always take the sand pegs. I’ve also seen first hand what can happen without them ;D
Will make a decision in the next week  :cheers:

So I talked ya into it eh!  ;D ;D ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Black Diamond

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
So I talked ya into it eh!  ;D ;D ;D
;D Almost
1996 80 series Cruiser

Offline Bigsteve

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Hay mate,  we just got back from Fraser last week, spent 4 nights in zone 5 between Eli and Mahino and 3 at central.  I'd stick with the beach if I went again, although for us we missed the very high winds that came through with the 250mm rain by moving inland. Not quite as bad as the TTT but close. Zone 5 is easy access to Eli, Eurong and northern beaches. Although there are no toilets (apart from Eli) you'd be glad to know there are regular dump points.

During public hols the popular spots get busy but if you pan around the tourist bus rush hrs you can get to places and find some secluded spots.  Probably the time of year but we didn't see one sand fly and only a few mozzies.

To get there we spent 4 days driving up via the coast and the same back via inland.  Long trip but breaks it up and gives the kids some time to enjoy the journey.  We had 7 nights on the island, would loved to have 14 to relax more. Its a fantastic spot and would love to go again. At Xmas the temp and humidity may be a bit much for us Mexicans. 

Give us a buzz if you want to chat.  I might need to call you regarding a new rim anyhow.

S

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Black Diamond

Offline Black Diamond

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the Chat tonight Stevo  :cheers:

Looking at booking 4 nights in Zone 7 first and 4 in Zone 5 before we leave.

Another question for the Pro's, how long would it take from hook point to Zone 7?
1996 80 series Cruiser