Author Topic: High time Toyota auctioned their Cruiser etc  (Read 2405 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
High time Toyota auctioned their Cruiser etc
« on: July 05, 2022, 11:48:27 PM »
Toyota like other carmakers with high demand cars should auction available production slots to the highest bidders-
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/landcruiser-chaos-coming-to-australia-soon-toyota-suspends-all-300-series-orders-as-it

That way Toyota captures any economic rent from the lucky flippers and with the extra returns can out bid other carmakers for the shortage of chips, etc and ultimately turn out more cars for consumers. Ultimately it also means more used popular cars like the Cruiser and RAV4 Hybrid etc falling into the hands of buyers. This queuing/rationing BS should end and permit consumers to judge the true market price and whether they prefer to opt for a cheaper alternative vehicle..
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: High time Toyota auctioned their Cruiser etc
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 04:36:09 AM »
Toyota like other carmakers with high demand cars should auction available production slots to the highest bidders-
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/landcruiser-chaos-coming-to-australia-soon-toyota-suspends-all-300-series-orders-as-it

That way Toyota captures any economic rent from the lucky flippers and with the extra returns can out bid other carmakers for the shortage of chips, etc and ultimately turn out more cars for consumers. Ultimately it also means more used popular cars like the Cruiser and RAV4 Hybrid etc falling into the hands of buyers. This queuing/rationing BS should end and permit consumers to judge the true market price and whether they prefer to opt for a cheaper alternative vehicle..

That's way too smart an idea for cam manufacturers to go with  :cheers:
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »

"permit consumers to judge the true market price"

and those that have saved up for their dream car upon retirement get out-bid (by Sydney real estate agents etc.) and miss out ?

"and whether they prefer to opt for a cheaper alternative vehicle"

They already have that option...

:cheers:

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 10:42:40 AM »
The only winner in the auction will be the manufacturers.

2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »
The only winner in the auction will be the manufacturers.
agree!

Auctioning is certainly DSOTY...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline manchu

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »
It's high time anyone selling a high demand anything  make  some effort to limit flipping/scalping.     

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
The potential knock on effects of this proposal are scary. Inflation is already rising quicker than my blood pressure during a political debate.Car prices both new and secondhand are already at all time highs. Insurance premiums are rising to reflect this among other factors. What happens when (if) supply levels come back to "normal"? Car manufacturers and retailers will undoubtably go back to one price for all - yeah right.

Let the order of supply and demand control things until some normalcy returns IMHO.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 09:36:55 PM »
"and those that have saved up for their dream car upon retirement get out-bid (by Sydney real estate agents etc.) and miss out?"

Well those retiring now don't know when they'll ever get their hands on one but some lucky RE agents might be getting a bargain soon.

As for carmakers limiting flipping and scalping how can they possibly do that now with some smart operators getting in the queue early?

No an open auction kills that stone dead and once the oil sheiks etc have had their fill paying Toyota big bucks and profits that can go into commanding more input supply and Cruiser output for those lower down the pay scale. Why should the oil sheiks and flash RE agents be getting cheap Cruisers now while the showrooms are empty for the rest?

This is no different to any new tech like OLED big screens say whereby early adopters pay through the nose because they can thereby lowering costs for average folks later.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 07:26:31 PM »
I will start the bidding process for a new 2026 Toyota  landcruiser at $1.00 , that is what i think they are worth
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "
The following users thanked this post: Harbourmaster

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 09:59:26 PM »
I will start the bidding process for a new 2026 Toyota  landcruiser at $1.00 , that is what i think they are worth

I’ll bid $2 because I think they are worth twice as much as what you think they’re worth !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 08:05:09 AM »
I’ll bid $2 because I think they are worth twice as much as what you think they’re worth !!

Nah, to rich for me :-\ I'll leave you two to fight it out! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 05:21:05 PM »
They're not very bright these carmakers with hot property-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/gm-will-limit-warranty-transfers-and-ban-buyers-from-flipping-hummer-evs/ar-AA1082EG
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-toyota-landcruiser-70-series-orders-paused/
Let the scalpers make an earn you reckon?