Author Topic: LED Torch (flashlights)  (Read 32572 times)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: LED Tourch (flashlights)
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Swaggers
              if i can or my SWOMBO can sit & read  by headlight  or cook or stumble around to the dunny , thats all we need
yes there are better but who cares
                               spend the rest on grog
                                         :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
I use the P7 LED LENSER. The model I have is 190 lumens (now 200) and it has a two stage switch on it. It uses 4AAA batteries. I have had it for 12 months now and use it for performing weld inspections as well as take it away camping and using it around the house. It is only on it's second set of batteries the first set lasted for over 40 hours on full power. It came with a nylon belt pouch. I paid just under $100 for it and I have found it to be worth every penny.

There is probably better out there but this one has me sold. I am saving for a X21 which uses 4 "D" size batteries and is 1050 lumens. It is near the $450.00 mark

Here is the info on the P7
http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Pserie/p7.php?id=p7

$450 for a torch???? WTF
Darren
Living the Dream.

Offline Ben...

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Breath In - Breath Out.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »
what he said... thats alot of coin to drop on a tourch. I loose tourches all the time, id never use that sucker in fear id loose it.
Mazda BT50 GT
Lifestyle 360

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 04:21:19 AM »
$ 450 that Gods  way of telling you you have too much money !

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 06:39:36 AM »

$450 for a torch???? WTF
Darren

It may be cheaper than that now, but 12 months ago that was the price. The security guards around here are using that exact torch. At a said range of 500+ meters I can see why.

$ 450 that Gods  way of telling you you have too much money !

I do agree that it is a lot of money but you do get what you pay for. It is not only going to be used for camping and I can justify buying it because of hobbies and sport. I don't buy anything unless I have a need for it. 
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 06:47:37 AM »
It may be cheaper than that now, but 12 months ago that was the price. The security guards around here are using that exact torch. At a said range of 500+ meters I can see why.

I do agree that it is a lot of money but you do get what you pay for. It is not only going to be used for camping and I can justify buying it because of hobbies and sport. I don't buy anything unless I have a need for it. 

Thats funny bout the security gaurds. Most of them couldnt walk 5 m let alone 500 so knowing what is half a k away is a bit of a waste  ;D
Living the Dream.

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »
Thats funny bout the security gaurds. Most of them couldnt walk 5 m let alone 500 so knowing what is half a k away is a bit of a waste  ;D

Haha never gave that much thought until you posted that. I will admit though and you didn't hear me saying this but the guy that does the patrols for me here is a bloody fit bugger I would hate to try and out run him or take him on.

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »
I have a Ledlenser and the wife has a cheap Chinese knock off and to tell the truth hers is brighter ect but ....... The wife goes through a set of batteries $20 a pop every camping trip and I am still on the originals after 2 years ....... lol ...... even with the wife using mine cause hers is flat ;D

Thanks
yogi

Offline prlamb

• Swag User
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »
what he said... thats alot of coin to drop on a tourch. I loose tourches all the time, id never use that sucker in fear id loose it.

no chance of loosin it while its switched on, LOL

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »
prlamb
         i think you may be on to something , lost torch in the bush at night switched on,,,,easy to find ,,,,,, must try in backyard tonight  ,. will keep you posted,,!

Offline Deejay

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
Hi Guys,

I bought an LED torch from Jaycar a year or so ago.  It's made by Aurora, I haven't seen them anywhere else since.  I just googled it and found them here for you:  http://smarterlife.com.au/?action=view&id=800485

This is a seriously good torch, incredibly bright, very tough (even my daughters couldn't kill it) and will light up the hillside where we camp which is over 150m away.  It takes 2 x AA Penlight batteries and lasts ages.

When I bought it, I took it home, tried it out in the day time and was so impressed I went straight back out to Jaycar and bought one for my dad.  When I gave it to him he complained and said, "Thanks but I already have a torch, take it back and stop wasting your money"  That was until he tried it .... :-D

Best value for money torch, and I've not met anyone with a better torch whilst camping, all are impressed.

Cheers,

DJ

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
a mate of mine bout a torch turned it on pointed it up , then got a sms from some bloke on the moon asking him to turn away its to bright

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »
thought i would share some research ive found. I was in the market for a new tourch, wanted a LED tourch, but not one of those nasty 9 led things, i wanted a Q4/Q5 LED emitter. Some of those can churn out 250 lumens of light - thats pretty impressive. So i went to the local camping store, and a look around and almost fell over when they quoted me $180-300. FOR A TOURCH!

So i walked out of there tail between my legs came home and started looking around online, found a honk kong knockoff with CREE branded led emitters for $2.99. they sting you 9.95 for postage but hey... cheap. so at that price i got 4, and will wait and see what they are like. Gota love ebay.

So it's almost been a couple of weeks, have they turned up yet?

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
We have an energizer branded torch, single LED, torch is rechargeable from 12 or 240 volt.  Lens is probably 100 x 100mm and it puts out a focused beam to about 300m.  We bought it from Mitre 10 on special for around $70 18 months ago.  Have dropped it, had it underwater (briefly) and we keep it in the Patrol which is parked outdoors so in the sun all day and a single charge lasts ages, probably only charged it 3 time since we bought it and it does get a fair bit of use.  Would recommend it to anyone after a largish sized powerful and reliable torch.  This is the current version of same torch http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/worklights/Pages/battery-operated-lantern.aspx
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline campercaz

• Swag User
    • Look and Feel Great.. WHEREVER you are!!
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »
A friend in Brissy gave me a few of these to try out as he is now stocking them as well as a few other 4x4 bits and pieces at Barry Evans Lifting World. The AmPro 6 LED flashlight with magnetic pickup.. I just love them. Bright enough to find my way to the loo at night when camping. The magnet is great as it sticks to the poles at the head of my bed in the C/T therefore I always know where it is. And also comes in very handy when fumble fingers drops anything in the engine bay. And the kids love them for a top game of spotlight  ;D

www.justtools.com.au/prod5148.htm for a picture

Caz
Camper Caz ;)

Offline Ben...

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Breath In - Breath Out.
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 07:05:42 AM »
well they arrived, and ive had a couple of days to play with them and i have to say im pretty impressed. between the two models I ordered one is much smaller than the other but i think the smaller one actually has a better light. The better thing with smaller one is that it takes 1aa - much easier with battery replacement. The larger tourch takes 3 x aaa batteries, or 1 of these batteries that look like aa on steriods. very bright beam, clear white light as you would expect. will update you on battery life once they run out.
Mazda BT50 GT
Lifestyle 360

Offline SpoonyAU

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
I got a 4 D cell LED Mag light from Coles about 4 months ago for around $29. It's an absolute ripper for the price (reasonably bright and the batteries are still going strong after hours of use) and it doubles up as an effective whacking stick as well  >:D

I don't know if they would still have then, it may have been a promotional thing?

2004 Toyota Prado GXL Turbo Diesel
2008 Cavalier Super Deluxe Camper My Camper Trailer

Offline Deejay

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

Today I bought the grandaddy of LED torches, The LED LENSER P7.  This thing is insane, it takes 4 AAA batteries, is about 5 inches long and has an adjustable focus and two stage lighting.  It pumps out 200 Lumens, has a range of 220m, and battery life of 120 hrs.

German made and excellent construction.  Comes with equally impressive price tag $117.  Bloody good torch.  Too bright to shine it in your eyes.  Looking forward to going camping in less that 2 weeks so I can use it in earnest.

I love new technology!

DJ

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
Hi Deejay

Where did you get it from
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
I just ordered 2 of these. 

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CREE-Q5-LED-300-LM-7W-Headlamp-HeadLight-Head-Torch_W0QQitemZ280482926232QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches?hash=item414e15ce98

Thought I should get one for SWMBO as well.

We have 2 of the Aurora torches.  They are fantastic and give out an great tight beam of light.  I think it has a lot to do with the lens.

When the new ones arrive, I'll try to take some pictures to compare the beams.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 11:49:53 PM »
There was a stall at the camping show next to Anaconda, my wife and I nearly fell over when I picked up an led torch for $550, put it down pretty quick too :D

Some of these cheap imports look ok.

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline Deejay

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 01:28:47 AM »
Hi Deejay

Where did you get it from

Hi CRW,

I bought it from a little camping store in Balcatta, Western AUstralia, called "Go Camping".  I haven't seen them before but must be available elsewhere I would imagine.

I just found the same torch here for cheaper http://www.ledtorches.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=87

Bugger!  Oh well, I'm happy supporting the smaller guy.   :angel:

Cheers,

DJ

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »
You getwhat you pay for with LED torches (by the way, what is a tourch?).  I have a little LEDLenser and it beats all my other torches hands down.  came as one of the "free" gifts for subscribing to 4wd Action magazine.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
Re: LED Torch (flashlights)
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »
Thanks DeeJay, just bought one from them

:cheers:

Carl
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: LED Torch (flashlights)
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
Hi CRW,

I bought it from a little camping store in Balcatta, Western AUstralia, called "Go Camping".  I haven't seen them before but must be available elsewhere I would imagine.

I just found the same torch here for cheaper http://www.ledtorches.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=87

Bugger!  Oh well, I'm happy supporting the smaller guy.   :angel:

Cheers,

DJ

Same here but that site is dearer than I paid my local guy for one. I paid $92 for my P7 and that site is asking $106. I was quoted $450 for the x21 and that site is asking $589 just goes to show you you local guy can sometimes be cheaper than the internet. Pays to look and bargain locally.