Author Topic: LED Torch (flashlights)  (Read 32568 times)

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: LED Torch (flashlights)
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
Here is my contribution.... from left to right:

LED Lenser P7, LED Lenser H7R and the big Maglite Rechargeable about 2.5m from wall in semi daylight.

To be fair I'm not sure of the state of charge on the H7R as my husband has been using it a fair bit, I'll charge it up and and see if there is any difference because I thought it was brighter than that.

EDIT...here we go the P7 and H7R side by side, P7 having had some use and the H7R being fully charged.

We have a "Led Pro" headtorch that takes 3 x AAA batteries and has 5 LED's, and that is significantly duller than the H7R in the top most picture, it's not even worth comparing to the others! Actually the brightness of the cheapie (which was purchased some years ago and at the time said to use the "good led's") is maybe as much as the H7R on the low setting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:49:54 PM by Pebble »
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2010, 03:10:03 AM »
Quick get out the way there a truck coming out of the wall !! I can see ite headlights  >:D :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »
Hey Pebble

Those pics are incredible...! 

It would be good to see the P2 next to the P7 just for the sake of comparison.

Which ever way you look at it they are definately impressive torches.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline catfish

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »
I have a x21 and it is awesome.Even my partners p14 seems dull after using the x21. No way will you go back to the old torches. Got mine from USA. Delivered 8 days
after ordering and a lot cheaper than here. If you can spare the money get one

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »
Yes the Husband said the headlamp was too bright he had to use the low setting mainly. But he was used to the other cheapie headtorch which was good enough to use but nowhere near as bright. Actually the switch on it has just broken, it won't turn off so it was a timely purchase.
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline Cloud Basher

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wheelin' the 3rd best thing sitting down!
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »
Interesting some of the claims of lumens by some of these torch manufacturers...

I use torches for a living as part of my job (no not a security guard!) and the only torches that stand up to abuse and actually put out at least what they claim are Surefire torches and some of the more recent, decent brand knockoffs.  Yes they are expensive, but as other posters here have said you get what you pay for.

I currently have an A2 Aviator, L2 Lumamax, 2 x M3 Combat lights, about 6-7 x G2 Nitrolons, 2 x E2 Executives and 1 x E2D Defender.

The new LED lights from Surefire absolutely blow anything else I have seen away.  There is simply no comparison.  Obviously for camping they might be a little over the top, but as I already have them then they are my choice.  Batteries are expensive if you buy them in Australia (the 3V Lithium A123 camera battery type) but buying them in bulk makes them fairly cheap.  Battery brand is also important as well as the cheap(er) Chinese version of the batteries last about 1/3 the time in the lights as other do.

I can use an M3 Combat light for spotlighting out to about 400m if need be and the new L2 Lumamax will clearly identify most "things" out to about 300m.

The L2 in my new favourite light, it comes with dual outputs and a run-time of over 15 hours on low setting and 2 hours on high setting.  That might not sound like a lot but in the type of work I do you never have your torch on constantly. However for a good cheap torch I don't believe you can go past the G2L Nitrolon, they are extremely well made (I have had two of them for over eight years now on my kit and they have never let me down).  Even got the two girls one each for camping, they love them as they can quite easily spot possums and koalas etc up trees at night playing spotto.  I remember when I used to play we had a huuuuge spotlight type torch as we ran around the bush, but these lights now put out as much if not more light and fit in the palm of your hand!

Anyway each to his/her own.  Just my 2cents on the subject!

Cheers
Dave J.

2017 200 Series Landcruiser as of 16/8/17
Custom made camping trailer; "The Slug"

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 08:20:55 PM »
deleted...seems off topic, what was I thinking!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:51:57 PM by Pebble »
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Brianna3

Re: LED Tourch (flashlights)
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
flashlight
ill be sure to post up some pictures when i get them. got 2 of another sort coming also, appear to be brighter, but only takes 1 aa battery. not sure what sort of battery life ill get, but thought id still give them a shot also. will do a comparison of the 2 onces i get them

Yeah please do post some pics.  That thing looks very slick in the ad.  I wouldn't feel scared walking through the blair witch project forest with one of those haha.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:12:59 AM by Brianna3 »

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »
For what it's worth, today's Zazz item is a torch.(May 20th only)

http://www.zazz.com.au/index.php

Don't know anything about it, could be rubbish, but if you want a torch, it may be worth looking at.
Cheers