Author Topic: V8 SuperCars 2015  (Read 36512 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
V8 SuperCars 2015
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
It looks as though Jamie Whincup is on the boil already. 2 Poles in todays two shootouts.

He will never have the following that Brock had, but I thinks as good a driver as Brock or better.

OH, I don't like him either, I'd rather it was Craig Loundes doing it this good.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
Re: V8 SuperCars 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 05:10:29 PM »
Yep, Jamie certainly has talent and ability so it's a shame that he doesn't have the same popularity that Craig Lowndes has. I guess it's the way he comes across when being interviewed that seem to rub some people up the wrong way. Lowndsy was off the pace again today and sadly I don't think he will have many more seasons in the V8 supercars. He will probably move over to the GT Series where he has had some good results. Young Scotty McLachlan reminds me a lot of Lowndsy in his earlier days with his bright and cheerful personality along with his ability. The Clipsal 500 should be good this year.  :cup:

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
Hey Jeepers im not sure about that mate, Brocky was awesome that's for sure, but a lot of his reputation was built around Bathurst, which BTW was very justified he was a great driver, I loved watching him as a kid.

At Bathurst last year I met Whincup and was very impressed with him, I better add that ive always supported Holden, and I found him to be great person, very humble, and was charged down by the gazzilions of people who wanted a pic or signature, and he was to happy to stand there and do his bit. ( I know hes paid to do it....blah blah blah)

As a driver, his record speaks for itself I think, and to see what he did at Bathurst last year, and nearly pull it off, was truly amazing, only for half a litre of more fuel he goes from last on the grid, a lap and half down at the half way mark of the race, and with half a lap to go hes leading the race........that's some pretty good driving I reckon.

Watching him today only confirms how good he is, done nothing during practice, and then puts the 2 fastest laps in during qualifying when the pressure is on, a tad under half a second faster then his nearest opponent. Which is pretty good given the cars and teams. I think the bottom line is, he doesn't make mistakes, or should I say he makes less mistakes then the others.....maybe.

Not saying Brocky wasn't great, he certainly was, and not saying Whincup will be better, but hes putting a good argument forward to be our best touring/V8 supercar driver of all time.....and hes not done yet.....

Swanny

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:21:21 PM by swanny »

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »
As a driver, his record speaks for itself I think, and to see what he did at Bathurst last year, and nearly pull it off, was truly amazing, only for half a litre of more fuel he goes from last on the grid, a lap and half down at the half way mark of the race, and with half a lap to go hes leading the race........that's some pretty good driving I reckon........

Hey Luke, sorry to spoil your party, but he actually started second last on the grid.
He was beaten by the bloke that started from dead last.... :P

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Hey Luke, sorry to spoil your party, but he actually started second last on the grid.

That was an amazing result...... god I love Bathurst.....  :cup:

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »

Correct and poor old Chaz also had to overcome Paul 'slower than a wet week' Morris as a co-driver, who also walled the car.
Chaz had to work twice as hard as Whincup.  All Whincup had to do was listen to his team when they told him to back off a bit to conserve fuel.

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:46 PM »

That maybe so Geoff, but as I said to go a lap and half down and to do what he did was an awesome effort, in fact comparable to what Brocky used to do ....and ur right Mostart did a Bradbury..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »
Correct and poor old Chaz also had to overcome Paul 'slower than a wet week' Morris as a co-driver, who also walled the car.
Chaz had to work twice as hard as Whincup.  All Whincup had to do was listen to his team when they told him to back off a bit to conserve fuel.

How do work that out, cause he had a crap co driver or because he crashed, either way its not the fault of RBRA......whincup was way behind (lap and half) and got in front, that tells me he did all the hard work....unless im missing something....perhaps ur right about team orders....at the end of the day, go hard or go home.......this time it didn't work, but other times (majority) hes blown them all away.....

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »
....and ur right Mostart did a Bradbury.....

Yeah, starting last and being in second AND not stuffing up the fuel usage..... a Bradbury? I don't think so.....  :cheers:

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
Yeah, starting last and being in second AND not stuffing up the fuel usage..... a Bradbury? I don't think so.....  :cheers:

Lets face it he only won because the leader ran out of fuel, not because he was faster etc, etc, etc..... ;D ;D ;D

Ford lovers there everywhere......

All good....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:56:12 PM by swanny »

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »
Comparing Brocky & JW are very hard due to the eras that they drive in. Brocky was probably better looking that's all.

This 'don't like JW'... why I don't get it. like he doesn't get about like a pumped up walking hard-on like many of other race drivers out there.

The thing about JW is he works super hard at his craft, fights hard but fair (in my eyes) and I like him for his dedication to racing and winning

(thumbing nose at all the haters)
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor
The following users thanked this post: swanny

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 07:12:34 PM »
Seems alot have forgotten where JW came from......he really struggled in the early days and Gary Rogers was on the verge of letting him go, he very nearly exited v8 super cars until he got a lifeline.....

Lots of hard work since
2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
How do work that out, cause he had a crap co driver or because he crashed, either way its not the fault of RBRA......whincup was way behind (lap and half) and got in front, that tells me he did all the hard work....unless im missing something....perhaps ur right about team orders....at the end of the day, go hard or go home.......this time it didn't work, but other times (majority) hes blown them all away.....

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Morris was on average 2-3 seconds a lap slower than Chaz and it was Morris who crashed, Chaz never made a mistake.  Whincup made 2 big mistakes.  The first was a spin (his fault) resulting in a blown tyre putting him a lap down.  The second wasn't team orders, it was not ignoring to his team after the final safety car who repeatedly said drive to fuel number.  Had he listened I think he would have won with Chaz on his rear bumper.

Ford lovers there everywhere......

All good....

no where near as many as the 888 lovers that appeared post 2009...
Pre 2009 they were cheats and Lowndes a traitor...

Just a bit of fun  :cheers:  Hopefully the red V's blue passion doesn't die off after 2017.

Such a shame Whincup has re-signed with 888 for a few more years.  Would have loved to see him head overseas.  In a top NASCAR team he could achieve great things.

Seems alot have forgotten where JW came from......he really struggled in the early days and Gary Rogers was on the verge of letting him go, he very nearly exited v8 super cars until he got a lifeline.....

Lots of hard work since

Rogers did sack him at the end of 2003.  Jamie might have struggled a bit in his first year, but the car GRM gave him was a complete bucket of bolts.  Old car full of used (Tander hand me downs) parts, the car Tander had was chalk and cheese.

Can't argue with the hard work part.  He works twice as hard as the rest of the grid.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
......whincup was way behind (lap and half) and got in front, that tells me he did all the hard work....

It tells me that the pace car played a big role in the result.

He's a very good driver, but it's the team that gives him every opportunity to excel.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
I was at the Clipsal today and had a great spot just on the other side of the bend after the long straight and leading into the next left hander.

I pointed out to my boys how much later Whincup's brake lights were coming on going into that corner than all the others and even they could see the marked difference.

I'm not a huge fan of him, but his skill today compared to the others on that corner was obvious to see.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:02 AM »
I am a blue oval fan, but in v8s favourite drivers Brock and lowndesy   

Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 08:02:53 AM »
Im a Peter Perfect fan, I did get a bit deluded during his 'Polariser' years though, but I am also a Craig fan and a Jamie fan, I don't see him as the bad boy at all, he's quite a gentleman (by reports).

What I don't like is domination, I like to be surprised occasionally (like running out of juice on the last lap... ;D) Even when Brocky was winning Bathurst by multiple laps I wasn't too impressed (don't get me started on jumping into the second car).

So if JW dominates I will most likely turn off a bit, but I do like watching CL slide that thing around... I just love roaring engines and rubber smoke...... 8)

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 08:20:28 AM »
I don't see that any comparison between Brock or Whincup has much merit. Brock drove in a time where he could qualify in multiple cars, and jump into the best placed one for a better finish.
The number of wins in the car you started in might give a better idea of the better driver. Who knows, Brock might still win that one.
I liked Brock in the early days and remember him screaming around the track at Hume Weir in a little Austin??. The car ate the straights but handled the corners like a Toyota Troopy with 30 backpackers gear strapped on top.
Whincup suffers the results of how the media portrays him.  I have a brother who has track martialled all over the East coast, and he claims there a many top drivers are ignorant bastards, but Whincup is not one of them. Much of the good he does just does not get reported.
Hopefully this year Channel 10 get smart and show more live V8's

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 08:21:13 AM »

Such a shame Whincup has re-signed with 888 for a few more years.  Would have loved to see him head overseas.  In a top NASCAR team he could achieve great things.

Could he ??   I think Ambrose went over thinking the same thing ??

But he is the best driver I think since Brock........some will say better....but when it counts, he has that extra 5% which makes him a champion.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
I don't see that any comparison between Brock or Whincup has much merit. Brock drove in a time where he could qualify in multiple cars, and jump into the best placed one for a better finish.

Did that happen only the once ??

Not his fault at the time...like all teams ( nowadays as well ), you get away with whatever rules are in force !!

Some say Brock had the best equipment ??   Are they not saying the same about Whincup ??.....everyone knows you can't win if you drive a dog, but the best comparison is always your team mate ( IF he has exactly the same gear )
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »
So if JW dominates I will most likely turn off a bit

I think most people who like the sport feel the same way ATM, I to like competition, which really hasn't/isn't there lately......but TBH I just like watching him drive, he's bloody good at it, and if he wins its a bonus.....

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:21:41 AM by swanny »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 09:48:07 AM »
Take away the techno BS back room controlled and adjustable everything, put them in a basic spec car that you have to be kind to or break / run out of,  Not the over engineered  almost unbreakable  everything thrash it because we can  of todays silhouette machines ..
 Bring back Group C and the other classes ..
Thats when you would be able to tell the drivers from the steerers
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
Take away the techno BS back room controlled and adjustable everything, put them in a basic spec car that you have to be kind to or break / run out of,  Not the over engineered  almost unbreakable  everything thrash it because we can  of todays silhouette machines ..
 Bring back Group C and the other classes ..
Thats when you would be able to tell the drivers from the steerers

Makes no difference...a driver is a driver...a good driver can adapt to anything..

Class C was good to watch, but no matter what peoples opinions are, things aren't going to go back to the old days !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMWo5QFilBc
Bit of nostalgia, good series this super 100mph on Utube .
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:27:59 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »
It's all happenng before the race even starts ;D pretty unfortunate for McLachlan   :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....