Author Topic: UN-MYSWAGMAN LIKE BEHAVIOUR  (Read 26438 times)

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
Re: UN-MYSWAGMAN LIKE BEHAVIOUR
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 08:20:29 AM »
Spot on Muzza
I've my share of 'i've gotta goldstream/coromal big dick syndrome' imparted my way, as i have one of those 'Shitbox' jaycos that are supposed to fall apart. Funny thing is, they are aus built with alco running gear! Maybe i should sell it and get back what i paid for it...? No chance, I'm using it as i type...

:cheers:
Nutto

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 08:26:37 AM »

GOLD  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Hi muzza01,
I would have to agree with you about the anti import ( Chinese ) camp trailer comments , but it is not just import trailers that cop a flogging from some on this forum . HID lights, Diff Lockers, 4x4 Electric Winches , BBQ's and the list goes on. 30 years ago it was anti JAP made - bloody jap crap , 15 years ago it was anti KOREA made , now it appears to be anti CHINA made.

cheers duggie

And generators and eBay solar panels and independent suspension lol  The amount of 'facts' i read on here from arm chair mechanical engineers is laughable ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
Oh and for the record the only time I take offence in the Import debate is when a supplier pipes up on here and tries to deceive people by saying their trailers are made in Australia when they are imported. I use imported products on a daily basis and have no issue with them....besides the fact that the money has gone to another country I suppose but thats how life is sadly.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
Hey

I have gone from a POS Chinese trailer to a box trailer and an ebay tent I have had for about 10 years........................don't sweat it.

Cheers Nomad.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »
Don't let ém get to ya, there's plenty of keyboard hero's around these days......

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »
Generally the self appointed experts get confused and think their personal opinion on something is 'fact'. 

Who cares if you don't win an internet pi55ing contest or your mate has something better (or perceived to be better), your the one paying for it and using it.

At the end only one person ever has to be happy with something like a camper purchase...  The wife!

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Re: UN-MYSWAGMAN LIKE BEHAVIOUR
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
Quote from: kylarama

At the end only one person ever has to be happy with something like a camper purchase...  The wife!
[/quote

That's funny- cause it's true ! :O
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers

Jwb

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »
Actually none of the negative comments have been directed at me or my CT thread. 

I have read these comments from on others swaggers threads where they are contemplating buying an imported trailer and get negative comments.

Other threads have been when someone has been really excited and happy and just wanted to brag or share being excited about their new CT purchase with other Swaggers only to have negative comments posted. I don't understand how someone would want to rob another Swagger of that (feel good and excited feeling) by posting negatives about their CT. Robbing a Swagger of that feeling is just not nice.

Oh and for the record the only time I take offence in the Import debate is when a supplier pipes up on here and tries to deceive people by saying their trailers are made in Australia when they are imported. I use imported products on a daily basis and have no issue with them....besides the fact that the money has gone to another country I suppose but that's how life is sadly.

I agree with you 100% Danny.  :cheers: It peeves me when I see something is advertised as Oz made when it clearly is not.  I also hate the "manufactured in Australia comment" which is misleading.  Importing a trailer and then bolting it together does not equal manufactured in OZ IMO.   

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
it is not just the imported threads... i have stopped making as many comments as I did because I was personally attacked for having an opinion by a member... lets not go down the path of some other forums and the moderators do a great job......cant even remember what it was about, i have moved on in life.... their problem not mine...

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »
I have read these comments from on others swaggers threads where they are contemplating buying an imported trailer and get negative comments.

Other threads have been when someone has been really excited and happy and just wanted to brag or share being excited about their new CT purchase with other Swaggers only to have negative comments posted. I don't understand how someone would want to rob another Swagger of that (feel good and excited feeling) by posting negatives about their CT.
these are 2 different situations and depending on which one it is depends if i agree or not. if someone is asking for an opinion on a product they are looking at buying, then be prepared for people to bag it because it's likely to happen as everyone is entitled to their opinion of a product (you just need to work out if it's an informed opinion is all), but if it's a thread about a purchase they have made and they are bragging or showing it off so to say, it'd be pretty rude for someone to jump into that thread and start bagging said product IMHO.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Marschy

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »
Good luck with the ezy trail. I bought a top of the line model and it was the biggest bucket of sh!t  hope you have better luck than me. I did get an electric shock while connecting the power

Do you mean comments like these? The inference is obvious for all who read it. You're taking a risk if you buy an Ezytrail.

Bollocks.

It slid off the shoulders pretty easy the first time, it gets harder to ignore the more you read similar comments in other peoples threads who are sharing their excitement and they receive similar comments.

I generally ignore these comments in other threads that don't affect me directly, but it is hard to ignore when they are targeted directly at you in a thread where you are sharing your ideas about your pride and joy.

Anonymity certainly brings out the worse in people sometimes.

If you look at the poll on who owns what type of camper, you'll note that there are good numbers of people who own imports, yet so many of them don't post build threads of the mods they do, possibly because they don't want the negative comments aimed in their direction.

I have been PMing a new member since before April who recently purchased an EzyTrail, pumping me for information, and I don't have to think hard about why he hasn't made any posts about his camper, but I hope he does so others can share his experience with his EzyTrail, good or bad.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Spot on Muzza
I've my share of 'i've gotta goldstream/coromal big dick syndrome' imparted my way, as i have one of those '****box' jaycos that are supposed to fall apart. Funny thing is, they are aus built with alco running gear! Maybe i should sell it and get back what i paid for it...? No chance, I'm using it as i type...

Nutto

Why thankyou i do have a goldstream and according to my partner am above average ;D
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline swoffer

• Swag User
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »

it gets harder to ignore the more you read similar comments in other peoples threads who are sharing their excitement and they receive similar comments.

Exactly , this type of thing is a blight on an otherwise terrific forum . It becomes very tiresome to read the same vitriol over and over . Dont know that there is much that can be done tho other than to appeal to peoples sense of right and wrong .

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
Who gives a toss what sort of camper you have, as long as ur out there enjoying it with ur family, and ur getting your monies worth, just get on and enjoy it.

Whilst everyone is entitled to there opinion, its not always best to be aired for all to hear, that's not saying you cant have it, but perhaps best kept to yourself.  ;)

At the end of the day, if someone has something to say about what you have spent ur hard earned on, and you don't like it, tell them to piss off, and if they don't like that, then they should harden up.  ;D

Regardless of what ever camper you have, or were it was made, I hope ur having a good time using it.

Regards Swanny   

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
There is a difference between offering people advice (even negative) on any purchase and when someone actually buys something.

You can offer all the negative you can BEFORE the purchase, but after the purchase has been made, all you can do is offer support and help them enjoy whatever it was they purchased...

My name is Mark, I drive a Toyota and tow a Jayco...  :)
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 11:23:40 AM »
but after the purchase has been made, all you can do is offer support and help them enjoy whatever it was they purchased...

and if your not capable of that, try biting your tongue and not posting at all.  Unfortuantly some just can't do that.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
And generators and eBay solar panels and independent suspension lol  The amount of 'facts' i read on here from arm chair mechanical engineers is laughable ;D

You're right DannyG, but it's also kind-of sad when people can't see the basic difference between engineering fact and information about a product, and someone's opinion.
A quick example:
"Galvanising looks crap" ... is an opinion. Some people like it - some don’t.
"Galvanising is more durable than paint because it’s a metal-on-metal bond" ... is a fact.

Some people get upset with comments such as this, especially if it's not something they want to hear.

But better to hear/read/research before buying something; always remember the seven Ps:
Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

edit: well said MD Simpson, do the homework first.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:33:51 AM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Brucer

• Tent User
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »
I don't think it's an issue when people ask for opinions and get them.
But when someone is posting to share their joy at the new camper purchase, it's a pretty mean thing to be critical of their choice. I think we all agree on that.

On the other hand, advice like "hey mate, watch out for the XYZ it's a common issue with those" is useful information intended to help. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from making such a post, tactfully worded.

It's too common when asking about cheaper imported products on forums such as these to get a stack of replies along the lines of "if you buy cheap you get what you pay for". I'd be happy with this advice coming from someone who actually has first hand experience of the product in question, but mostly it's just someone justifying their own choice in paying big $$$ for the premium brand.
Outback Campers Birdsville, Nissan Pathfinder R51

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
The only form of stereotypical behavior pertaining to swagmen that comes to mind is to camp by a billabong, under the shade of a tree named after a box of wine, expressing themselves in song whilst watching and waiting for a billy to boil.
The problem of poor judgement seems arise when the hypnotic melody of said dulcet tones attracts sheep that like to sleep in tucker bags. This in turn attracts trigger happy troopers, resulting in untimely endings to the singing careers of many a fine voiced swagger.

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
UN-MYSWAGMAN LIKE BEHAVIOUR
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
Agree muzza. In my line of work we need to have broad shoulders. As said above there are plenty of keyboard warriors on here, some have even commented on this thread. The best thing to do is smile, and enjoy your camper. The money you save will pay for years and years of holidays :-)

NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
I don't like XXXX Beer wont touch the stuff has to be the worst brew on the planet
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline kiwi_camper

• Tent User
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
I have no issue with what brand of CT people buy. We all spend our hard earned money on what we can afford and what we feel is worth the money. My only concern is that whatever is sharing the road with my family and I is safe. It seems to me that most safety conscientious people on here know what kind of CT they've bought and whether it needs any modifications to ensure its safety. But we can't all be CT experts. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:56:10 PM by kiwi_camper »
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »

My name is Mark, I drive a Toyota and tow a Jayco...  :)

The first two statements are great, the third well.......

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »
You will get negative comment that will cause offence on any form of social media. Not reporting a post implies tolerance of the post.

If offence is caused on any thread here on Myswag don't have a bleat about it, report the post and it will be dealt with.

A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18:11 PM »
I don't like XXXX Beer wont touch the stuff has to be the worst brew on the planet

I find that hypocritical coming from a the state that makes Boag's Draught.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13