Author Topic: Landcruiser Dual Cab Coming Soon  (Read 64512 times)

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
Re: Landcruiser Dual Cab Coming Soon
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
I still can't get my head around the price of the 76 wagon let alone the dual cabs. To bring back the 76 wagon and charge new-tech money for it is hard to fathom. You can understand the likes of Prado and 200 series where new tech would have cost plenty of coin. Put it this way - if Nissan re-introduced the GQ and did little more other than a new motor, ABS and air bags, what would people be prepared to pay? That's exactly what Toyota have done. If they charged Toyota coin you'd tell them where to go.

That's not to say I don't want one but if I were in the position to I'd find it hard to justify.
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Chris F

« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
I still can't get my head around the price of the 76 wagon let alone the dual cabs. To bring back the 76 wagon and charge new-tech money for it is hard to fathom. You can understand the likes of Prado and 200 series where new tech would have cost plenty of coin. Put it this way - if Nissan re-introduced the GQ and did little more other than a new motor, ABS and air bags, what would people be prepared to pay? That's exactly what Toyota have done. If they charged Toyota coin you'd tell them where to go.

That's not to say I don't want one but if I were in the position to I'd find it hard to justify.
I know what you're saying, but Nissan don't have competition for the 70 series dual cab. The closest is the Defender. If this was purely a personal vehicle I wouldn't even consider it, and a 76 series would be well out of my price range. Because of my work I have to have a ute, preferably a strong one. If anyone has a better suggestion let me know soon  :)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
Quote from: markymark
I think that about many things.... like an 50k campertrailer or 120k offroad caravan....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

crackacoldie

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »
That's one of my problems, there won't be any money left for mods  :'( The other problem is convincing my business partner who just got a D-Max that cost $51,000. That's $24,000 less than the 70 series, or in other terms $24,000 worth of my guilt. The next few days will be interesting to say the least.

The justification is that the Toyota will still be working hard in 20 years time, the D-max will be retired and your partner would have bought 3 more.

:cheers:

Cracka

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
Quote from: crackacoldie
The justification is that the Toyota will still be working hard in 20 years time, the D-max will be retired and your partner would have bought 3 more.
probably true...
but most people turn cars over ever 3-5yrs tops these days, so thats all they are designed to last. You'd cry having a 6 yr old euro car (audi, alfa, etc etc) that you had to pay to maintain yourself
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »
I guess if this is the only vehicle that is going to suit your needs you will have to put up with Toyota bending you over....  ::) :'(
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »
I guess if this is the only vehicle that is going to suit your needs you will have to put up with Toyota bending you over....  ::) :'(

This seems to be the real issue.  Who makes a vehicle that can carry 4 people, vehicle mods and 500kg of gear and still be under GVM.  Will it then handle the abuse of Australian "roads" and tracks

Not a lot of choice, even the 200 series GX cant do that so even if they turned it into a dual cab they would have to upgrade it.  Twin cab utes mostly meet the load requirements but they don't seem to handle the roads.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:07:09 PM by Alan Loy »

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »
This seems to be the real issue.  Who makes a vehicle that can carry 4 people, vehicle mods and 500kg of gear and still be under GVM.  Will it then handle the abuse of Australian "roads" and tracks

A Fuso Canter FG 715 MWB 4x4 will do all that, but comes with it's own issues. Biggest of which probably being the Mrs refusing to drive it down to the shops for milk.

At the end of the day, if it's the only one that suits, then it doesn't matter if there are cheaper alternatives. After all, if price was the main consideration you may as well buy a second hand hatchback. Unfortunately this is a prime example of why the lack of competition in a sector hurts the consumer.

Your other alternative, as Alan has mentioned, might be to get a 200-series and have it cut down.:
http://www.rwvconversions.com/200series.htm
Most places can do a GMV upgrade for you at the same time as the chop or chassis extension. Stick either a or driven lazy axle under the back for even higher load carrying capacity. But that won't be a cheap prospect either.

I wouldn't count the Defender right out. They're still a pretty basic, unergonomic truck, but the Toyota offerings aren't exactly the most modern things either...

Good luck,
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Chris F

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
A Fuso Canter FG 715 MWB 4x4 will do all that, but comes with it's own issues. Biggest of which probably being the Mrs refusing to drive it down to the shops for milk.
At the end of the day, if it's the only one that suits, then it doesn't matter if there are cheaper alternatives. After all, if price was the main consideration you may as well buy a second hand hatchback. Unfortunately this is a prime example of why the lack of competition in a sector hurts the consumer.

Your other alternative, as Alan has mentioned, might be to get a 200-series and have it cut down.:
http://www.rwvconversions.com/200series.htm
Most places can do a GMV upgrade for you at the same time as the chop or chassis extension. Stick either a or driven lazy axle under the back for even higher load carrying capacity. But that won't be a cheap prospect either.

I wouldn't count the Defender right out. They're still a pretty basic, unergonomic truck, but the Toyota offerings aren't exactly the most modern things either...

Good luck,
Matto :)

Thanks Matto. I hope to pick it up next week, or possibly the week after depending on when the tray will be ready. A cut down 200 series would be nice but it's not going to happen. I'm not a landrover enthusiast either, although I appreciate they are a very capable 4X4. Our oldest Hilux has had some mechanical problems and will be traded in asap making the purchase of the 70 series a bit more urgent so I can pass my Hilux onto our crews. The plan is to replace our two SR Hiluxes with D22 Navaras next year. We already have a D22 and it's doing the job.

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
Out of curiosity are they available as a style side or cab chassis only.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Chris F

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
Out of curiosity are they available as a style side or cab chassis only.
Cab chassis only unfortunately.

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
yeah but some people need - or want - the truck-tech chassis, spliminy-teen gigajules of torque and the fuss-free load carrying and towing ability

But the torque is less that a Kia Sorento
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Chris F

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
At 1,200 rpm?

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
I read its max torque is from 1800rpm to 2500rpm, not bad, but one of these motors is in a high state of tune and the other very low...this leads back to whether you want to keep the vehicle for 3 years or 20.
I wouldn't be worried about the longevity of an Isuzu diesel though, one of the worlds largest diesel manufacturers (if not the largest) and cast your mind back to the old 2.8 TD Rodeo motor - as reliable as any other and strong.
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »
At 1,200 rpm?

Chip it for $1k and add an exhaust.

Much cheaper than $75k ish
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
I checked the dual cab 'cruiser' out a couple of weeks ago.
I must admit that I was left scratching my head at the drive away price for the GXL.
HTF can air conditioning not come standard?
By the time you put a tow bar, bull bar and a decent drop side tray on board your over the 80g on the road. 8 ???
Yes.... To bloody expensive, it makes he GX 200 series look almost a good option.
But in saying that, no other dual cab in the Australian market will take the abuse that he 70 series can.
The Hilux, Triton, Rangers etc etc are no doubt nicer to drive and more car like, but are all built to light for heavy duty use on a day in day out basis.

:cheers:
Glenn

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2012, 09:10:34 AM »
Quote from: Swogjb
But in saying that, no other dual cab in the Australian market will take the abuse that he 70 series can.
The Hilux, Triton, Rangers etc etc are no doubt nicer to drive and more car like, but are all built to light for heavy duty use on a day in day out basis.
what about the patrol. if you can keep the engine together, it will take a hammering.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

crackacoldie

« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
what about the patrol. if you can keep the engine together, it will take a hammering.

It's just that TD30 ticking time bomb.....

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2012, 11:18:44 AM »

Mate.... My last work ute was a GU 4.2 ute. It was bullet proof.
I would not touch a patrol with the 3L engine. Maybe ok for the odd towing holiday and as a daily drive but not for a work horse.
IMO Toyota Landcruiser dual cab is needed in the Australian market, problem being purchase price 20g to much.

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Chris F

« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »
Why would I want to trash a Kia Sorento at work?

crackacoldie

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
Why would I want to trash a Kia Sorento at work?

Think you got the question slightly skewed Chris:

Why would I want a Kia??  covers it i reakon.  LMAO

:cheers: Cracka

Chris F

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »
Think you got the question slightly skewed Chris:

Why would I want a Kia??  covers it i reakon.  LMAO

:cheers: Cracka
Yeah I could have said that, and a Kia Sorento with a 1K chip and exhaust isn't going to help me much either even if it saves my business lots of money.
I guess the 70 series is misunderstood by a lot of people who don't need such a vehicle. They are a workhorse made tough and to last, not for comfort and luxury. The price tag is high and a lot of people would expect a lot more technology and refinement for their money, but IMO there is no tougher dual cab on the Australian market. Now I have signed the contract I am thinking how lucky I am to be getting the most suitable vehicle for my needs and not worrying about the single cup holder, the torque comparison between it and a Kia Sorento etc. I also believe that this vehicle is as tough and off road capable as my camper trailer, something that wasn't so with the SR Hilux.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2012, 09:35:12 AM »
Yep you either love the 70s or you don't, one of those kind of vehicles.  If the old 70s are anything to go by you will enjoy it many times over.  Just remember  :worthles:
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Chris F

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
Yep you either love the 70s or you don't, one of those kind of vehicles.  If the old 70s are anything to go by you will enjoy it many times over.  Just remember  :worthles:
Thanks Al (or Jan). Don't worry, I'll be posting a few pics after I pick it up. There won't be many mods, but a bullbar, ali canopy and a reversing camera will happen next year.

Chris F

« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
I picked it up this afternoon  ;D

I traded in my oldest Hilux. Our crews were very upset to see it go and so was I. I took it up to Fraser and Cape York with my wife on our honeymoon back in 2004 and while I owned it it gave me no trouble for 200,000k's. It was a great vehicle.

It's different than my 2008 Hilux to drive, but I like it a lot  :)