Author Topic: What do you think is still unacceptable?  (Read 22897 times)

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What do you think is still unacceptable?
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
Lets expand on this for the sake of not doing anything meaningful at work......what if they were wearing a burka?................

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »
[quote author=HerGU link=topic=15953.msg242311#msg242311 date=1314537005

1. The fact that a bunch of teenage kids were talking throughout the movie we went to, even after another lady kindly went up to them twice and quietly asked them to stop talking. (I had to restrain my partner from saying what he really thought to them).

2. After the movie we went to dinner at a pub with a resturant attached and 2 guys walked in, 1 wearing a hoodie, and the other wearing a cap. They both sat down with another couple for dinner, with their head wear on the entire time.

What are your thoughts?
[/quote]

1. Its a movie theatre.  If you cant put up with it, or the partner is so out of control they cant ask nicely, then move.  If you cant then tell the usher.

2. Were you effected by their dress sense?  No?  Move on.

Teach your children your views on life.  Leave others to their own.  Life is short.  Be happy.  Go camping :)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

crackacoldie

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
Lets expand on this for the sake of not doing anything meaningful at work......what if they were wearing a burka?................

Thant's not petrol your pouring on the fire is it Nomad????

:cheers: Cracka

Manjimike

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
farmer
That is exactly the point im tryin to make. Wether its a hoody or a cowboy hat. You cant cast aspersions about what type of person someone is just based on whats on their head..
It is like basing the type of person on whether they are folders or scrunchers

;D ;D ;D

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
It is like basing the type of person on whether they are folders or scrunchers
I'd never trust a scruncher with sideburns, wearing a hoodie
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
Thant's not petrol your pouring on the fire is it Nomad????

Me never........  :angel:

But seriously if we are this deep in discussion about hats and hoodies........what does that say about our tolerences to other cultures.

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »
We're just consulting for a new chapter in legislative requirements for myswag meet idiosyncrasies.

It's all good.

Next meet I am wearing three hoodies with my polo collar 'up' and a big akubra hat inside the camper, I will work on some ranga coloured side burns and I'll just wear my canvas undies and try to belch the alphabet after every sip of XXXX.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »
We're just consulting for a new chapter in legislative requirements for myswag meet idiosyncrasies.

It's all good.

Next meet I am wearing three hoodies with my polo collar 'up' and a big akubra hat inside the camper, I will work on some ranga coloured side burns and I'll just wear my canvas undies and try to belch the alphabet after every sip of XXXX.

OK......well i'll grow the mullet and bring along the Brisbane Bitters shall I.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
What about goatie beards??

... and Tatts.. you cant trust people with em these days

3 hoodies, ranga sideys, a goatie AND tatts....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
 This is geting silly.
 No one has mentioned those heroes who wear their baseball caps back to front.
I'd like to be like them, but I lost my baseball cap. :'(

Soooooooooo, I'm going to wear my two hoodies back to front!
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »

It's all good.

I was with you all the way until you said XXXX so I guess that means your riff raff.

Offline hookedon4wding

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My Videos
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »
I was with you all the way until you said XXXX so I guess that means your riff raff.

Haha, beat me to it by mere minutes!

X2!

crackacoldie

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »

You just described me to a T Dan!  Have me met????  Lol

Offline welchygq

• "I came, I saw, I locked the hubs"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
Good points HerGU, I agree wholeheartedly.

Even more importantly, I believe that if you think there are more important things to "worry" about, then you are part of the problem. It all boils down to the fact that if you don't police the little "politeness rules", then you are probably lax with policing the more important "laws" and the hoodie and hat wearing crew think they can get away with more and more. Society then has to suffer their bad manners and rudeness.

I don't tolerate it and I am probbaly considered a grumpy old bugger, I am fine with that.

Bring back the cane and other disciplinary measures I say.

X2 - and i am a grumpy old 25 year old male :)

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

It's all good.

You forgot white sox..
Living the Dream.

Offline welchygq

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
[quote author=HerGU link=topic=15953.msg242311#msg242311 date=1314537005

1. The fact that a bunch of teenage kids were talking throughout the movie we went to, even after another lady kindly went up to them twice and quietly asked them to stop talking. (I had to restrain my partner from saying what he really thought to them).

2. After the movie we went to dinner at a pub with a resturant attached and 2 guys walked in, 1 wearing a hoodie, and the other wearing a cap. They both sat down with another couple for dinner, with their head wear on the entire time.

What are your thoughts?

1. Its a movie theatre.  If you cant put up with it, or the partner is so out of control they cant ask nicely, then move.  If you cant then tell the usher.

2. Were you effected by their dress sense?  No?  Move on.

Teach your children your views on life.  Leave others to their own.  Life is short.  Be happy.  Go camping :)

Mate i think you may have missed the point - I am Her Gu's partner.

I am not "out of control" - i think you may have taken the comment a bit to literaly

And yes i was effected by his dress sence as were others in the dinnign room - the hoddie was deliberatly worn to intimadate - even one of the wait staff mentioned it to us.

But this is not about us directly but more about what others think of the situation

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »
This is geting silly.
 No one has mentioned those heroes who wear their baseball caps back to front.
I'd like to be like them, but I lost my baseball cap. :'(

Soooooooooo, I'm going to wear my two hoodies back to front!
What about wearing their grandfathers pants so their undies are showing skiddies?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline welchygq

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »
I think this thread has morphed into a lot more than just a discussion about wearing hats inside.  :D

I think farmer has summed up my opinion perfectly. Manners and common courtesy are extremely important no matter what generation you're from and should be instilled in our children as they were from our parents and grand parents.

I just don't agree that the whole hats inside argument is in the same category as all the rest. As Kranky Al has said, what's considered appropriate to wear (and when to wear it) has changed dramatically over the years so societies 'rules' need to evolve as such. There are still times and places where I think we all agree that hats aren't appropriate (mainly because they don't go with a suit and tie  ;D) but a blanket ban indoors is just plain old fashioned.

Basic manners and common courtesy (please, thank you, giving your seat to elderly people, do unto others...etc) however, have not changed over the years and should be the focus of our parenting.

Thank-you for your input.  I am glad we can have this as an inteligent conversation.  I understand your comment about not judging a book by its cover.  I also agree that you cannot know someones history by judging what they wear.  I was not saying that the bloke was a bad person, that was not my intension at all.  All i was bringing up was that i thought it was rude to sit at a table and stare at people form under your hoddie.  And no wearing a hoody does not make you a bad person.  However talking in a movie, that does make you a bad person !!!  ;D

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
Nematode, anyone ?
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »
Mate i think you may have missed the point - I am Her Gu's partner.

I am not "out of control" - i think you may have taken the comment a bit to literaly

And yes i was effected by his dress sence as were others in the dinnign room - the hoddie was deliberatly worn to intimadate - even one of the wait staff mentioned it to us.

But this is not about us directly but more about what others think of the situation

"I had to restrain my partner from saying what her really thought to them"

This is what was written in the question so thats what I based my answer on.

I took it to mean that you were pissed and your partner told you not to say anything in case you belted one of them. 

Anyway, you asked what we thought of the situation.  I think if they were pissing you off then do something or else put up with it.  There only kids.

Intimidated by a hoodie.....sorry I dont get it.

Anyway, as Darren says, thats me second post :)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
Wooohoooo up everyone!

I think people have taken what i have asked the wrong way. I'm NOT saying that owning a hoodie is the problem (i own a (1) hoodie too) but what i was referring to was the fact that it was up, in a resturant, at a table, whilst eating. Look, i wear a hat very regularly, but my Father and my grandfathers would kick my butt if i ever dared to sit at a table with it on.

As my partner (WelchyGQ) said earlier, these 2 guys were quite intimidating, and we had a conversation with the waiter (who i'm sure he could hold his own) as he collected our plates about it and he said he was very intimidated when these 2 guys came up to the counter to order their meals.

Personally, i believe manners are the most important lubricants of society. It is NOT hard to teach people respect, and it is even easier to use and display respect and manners in society. (As the guy from Emerald mentioned in the canteen story).

Yes certain "customs" may differ on where you were bought up, but it still does not matter how old you are or which generation you are from, manners and respect is what makes our day pleasant. Can you imagine being screamed at from behind the counter every day of your life "what the F*&k do you want?" when choosing from the sandwich counter? It works both ways. Even if you do get that response, say "please and thankyou" and i bet tomorrow the tone of voice will have changed if you do it everytime.

They say laughter is contagious, use your manners and treat people with respect - it soon becomes contagious and makes it a pleasant day.

As for the movies, I paid an annoyingly lot of money to have the "privilage" of going to the movies which does not happen very often due to the price (as most i am sure can understand). Why should i move when i got there early enough to sit where i wanted to sit, and enjoy my movie (it was Red Dog by the way - a good movie :laugh:) when others choose to be so rude. They should move or be quiet. If you want to talk, go to a cafe and have a coffee. You'll spend the same amount of money.

Chill out peoples  8)

Offline AlanandJanet

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »
We live in the lucky country!

Free Speech.

In some places this conversation would be banned or subject to police intervention.

So...raising the bar....  Do you think it appropriate to stand or even be quiet during the National Anthem when played at sporting games and other occasions?

I stand proudly , as do my kids and family!

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »
I stand proudly and sing with HAT OFF!

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:05 AM »
sox..

wot abowt peeple that dis the inglish langwage?
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 06:59:20 AM »
wot abowt peeple that dis the inglish langwage?

I have started speaking speewinski

or maybe its because I'm typing on my phone while driving, wearing a hoody, long hair, a cowboy hat, sideburns, and white socks... I am everything society hates...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:01:37 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.