Author Topic: Who to build me a trailer, in Vic?  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Swag User
Who to build me a trailer, in Vic?
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
I am after just the trailer for a soft floor camper. I want off road durable. I dont care if it has eye to eye suspension or independent, but i want something proven to be able to follow me in one piece on any dirt track. Just the standard tracks, oodnadatta, tanamie etc.

Other than super durable, just the standard camper bits. Long/strong drawbar, swing tail gate kitchen, lots of jerry holders (6?), on board water and a tilt frame for the tent, hydro or electric brakes, swing up jocky, hyland  or trigg hitch. I can supply own tent to suit, or would consider buying with trailer.

Bonus extra would be a rack for carrying canoes. I prefer an existing off the shelf product rather than custom made, but either would be fine as long as its from a proven supplier.

How much should i expect to pay for decent quality? Who should i approach? Appreciate any tips or suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:09:17 PM by Jimmy »

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
Re: Who to build me a trailer, in Vic?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »
Jimmy I would give these guys a call. I have picked up a few parts from them for my camper such as the Trigg, and a spare leaf. They were more than helpful.

I have no affiliation with them just found them to be very helpful

http://lilydaletrailerspares.com/index.html

rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
My Ranger from Xtrail in Kilsyth is built like a tank and is a bit heavier than most but thats how I wanted it, it all depends what you want to do with it.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »
It will also depend on your budget, there have been some great 2nd hand campers in the classified section on here of late. Thats where I picked mine up at the start of the year.

Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Jimmy

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »
I wanna drag my dirtbikes and family around the country. I dont think i can afford a good hard floor so i will go for a good soft floor. Qualities i want are; super durable. I never wanna be one of those blokes with a snapped in half trailer cos of corrugations. Next i will make it easy to set up so you can travel with it. Next i wanna carry a lot of jerries cos its a lot cheaper than adding tanks to your car.

I have a great CT that does almost everything i need now. I am about to advertise it, but as i will say in the ad, its not easy enough to stop and start every day. Not to say its all that hard either...but we are doing a few longer trips now (6 weeks and a 3 months trip coming up).  A few days of stop start in the current one is fine, but a month of a stop start and every 15min of setup time really counts. My current one is absolutely awesomne at getting from home to your camp spot and home again.

Are GIC known to be super durable, well made? Seem advertised on here a bit and they look the business and they seem to be fairly cheap.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:55:02 PM by Jimmy »

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »
I second Xtrail, Sam, as an excellent camper builder. They custom build to spec and are great priced. Do a search for WogsRus and Xtrail, should show you some pics of how well their built.
HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
If you want to stick to Victoria, I would give Tambo or Mountain Trail (Albury) a call.

Or you could do as I did and pick one up from Queensland and make a trip of it on the way home.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
Work out what you want re CT  , go with a plan to your choise of yellow pages choices . The other way is take your list hire CTs then work out if it works .  Chech the preloved market place to fit your needs , More bang for your bucks  .    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline stevo

• I used to have a handle on life........but it broke
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »
If ya wanna drag bikes and family around chexk these out. A friend has got one and they are very solid.
http://www.trailermadecampers.com.au/
Isuzu MU-X Coronet caravan
The hearse does not stop at the bank on the way to the cemetery.