Author Topic: Buying a second hand Tug - kilometres versus year  (Read 2622 times)

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
Buying a second hand Tug - kilometres versus year
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »
We will be buying a second hand twin cab 4wd ute early next year.  We will travel a lot of kms over two years then look to sell.

Interested in others views on how much importance to attach to kms on the speddo versus the year of the ute both for reliability and for resale. For our dollars we are looking for a ute somewhere in 2006 - 2008 range.  For example assuming the two utes are in roughly similar condition are we better off with a 2006 Hilux with 80,000km on the clock or a 2008 Hilux with 120,000km?

For most of the utes we have looked at - Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi Triton, Nissan Navara - there have not been what we would see as major changes in the specifications of the models over these years

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Buying a second hand Tug - kilometres versus year
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
NewMax
It all depends on condition as well, I know of some vehicles that have done under 100K but are totally U/S. You have to look at how long you plan to keep it, amount of KM's for the year of make and the condition that its in. country cars have higher Kms but are usually in good condition if its been looked after.
The reliability factor, well, thats a different kettle of fish, some vehicles off the showroom floor arent very reliable.
I would pick the 2006 Hilux.
i have a low km (48K) 2006 Navara D40 STX dual cab for sale if your interested. Sent me a PM
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »
Hi New Max,
pretty much as Diesel power says, keep also in mind if you sell the veicle as a trade then they dont worry to much about the Km's and it's more of what year it is, either way you get not much for a trade in anyway, just book value regardless
Cheers
Garry

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »
NewMax, If it were me I'd get them fully checked out by a trusted  :angel:  mechanic and buy the one that's in better mechanical condition  :cup:
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:06 AM »
It only matters if you intend on selling it in a few years otherwise low mileage and condition is the Ducks Guts.

I had this dilemma 10 years ago when I purchased our 1991 HDJ80 Turbo Diesel    it was 9 years old at the time but had done only 74,000kms, all original bar the 2 Analogue phones...   I paid a lot for it at the time as Book price was way way lower and  for the same money I could have bought a 1997 lowish mileage Petrol LC...
But I knew what I was after and once it was in the shed there would be no need for a further upgrade...   Ten years later and nearly 20years it has had many $ spent on fruit, 275,000kms now and is still going strong,   I have no intentions on upgrading  it as I bought wisely...    Others will upgrade every 5 years so age is more important.   Most when buying a 4x4 and plan to add on those extra bits like BullBars, Winch, Lift, LongRange Tank etc etc  you really don't want to give them away when you sell it...   Do your research well and once.. 

On a last note prior to buying a vehicle and ask myself two questions
1. Will it still look as good as it does today in 10 Years time?
2. Will I still like driving it in 10 Years?

Well I think the 80 looks better today than it did 10 years ago and I love driving it still….
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »
I went the 120k 2008 option on the Prado. I have since been flogging my missus' Corolla up and down the highway to work while she does max 100km a week in the Prado. wont be long before the kms are back inline with average for that year model. Think mine must have been a rep vehicle or something but full service history. 1200km a week of higway driving isnt much really.