Author Topic: hard floor camper in free stops  (Read 6983 times)

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
hard floor camper in free stops
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:18:45 AM »
Hi Guys and ladies

can someone tell me if technically, is a hard floor camper like the campomatic allowed to stop and set for the night seeing as its roof is technically touching the ground not a tent??

cheers
My 130 HCPU camper build - (now sold) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6733.msg240757#msg240757

Offline rosgeog

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: hard floor camper in free stops
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »
We have a Kimberley and frankly I have not even considered there is a problem. The free spots are inhabited by all regardless of vehicle.
Ross
Ross

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
We have a Kimberley and frankly I have not even considered there is a problem. The free spots are inhabited by all regardless of vehicle.
Ross

Thank you , because we dont have a thank you button!!... ;D
My 130 HCPU camper build - (now sold) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6733.msg240757#msg240757

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
I wouldn't think this would be an issue at all, Its actually the 1st time I've heard of this. We have camped in many free camps around oz.

Where did you hear this?????

Cheers
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »
Same here. I stop in my Kimberley anywhere.  Even if somonone tried to tell you to move on you juss say im tired, i dont feel safe to drive. What can they do
Living the Dream.

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
I wouldn't think this would be an issue at all, Its actually the 1st time I've heard of this. We have camped in many free camps around oz.

Where did you hear this?????

Cheers

Mate my bro was telling me so ?, maybe he has his information mixed....all good just thought id get some conformation ...

thank you , beceause we dont have a thank you button!!!.. ;D

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
You guys will come up with anything to stop us Campomatic owners camping near you.  >:(

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »
You guys will come up with anything to stop us Campomatic owners camping near you.  >:(

??? who is you guys???.... ")... btw i love the campermatic... ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:57:50 AM by cucinadio »

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »
When was the last time your bro tryrd vto stuff you around  ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »
We did 6 months in 08 in our camp-o matic , 23,000klm  , free camps , c/van parks , roadside stops [ though never in a truck rest area ] and the ONLY time we had a problem was in a Darwin c/park, we had phoned to book and when we arrived we asked to see the site to checkout the size if we would fit in as when set up is same size as a 30ft van ,  told in no uncertain terms 'don't like it eff off '  ,,, site was the size of a 3man tent.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »
You guys will come up with anything to stop us Campomatic owners camping near you.  >:(

cucinadio
GD is onto us.. Its not the campermatics we dont like camped near us its the foam lounges, half stripped cars and shazza's..  de valuating the camping spot....  
Living the Dream.

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:39 AM »
cucinadio
GD is onto us.. Its not the campermatics we dont like camped near us its the foam lounges, half stripped cars and shazza's..  de valuating the camping spot....  

Yeah, but you don't mind dropping in "with a mate" (still laughing about that line),  for some fresh bread which Shazza has just pulled out of the bread maker.
Seriously though, and back on topic again, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone policing the free camp spots, or being kicked out of one, unless there is a problem with the overnigh stop overs becoming a little more permanent.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:10:03 AM by Gunna Do »

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
cucinadio

lol..... no i was asking because I'm researching for a purchase in the nid of new year, and my little bro is trying to persuade me into a pop top rather than a hard floor ..... the cheeky bugger !!!....

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »

lol..... no i was asking because I'm researching for a purchase in the nid of new year, and my little bro is trying to persuade me into a pop top rather than a hard floor ..... the cheeky bugger !!!....

Don't become another  one of the Jayco sheep, buy a hardfloor and see some of the out of the way places that the Jaycos can't get to.  ;D

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
Don't become another  one of the Jayco sheep, buy a hardfloor and see some of the out of the way places that the Jaycos can't get to.  ;D

yhea he just brought a swan ....and is trying his best...lol,, he thinks hes a bit of a guppy, we say "guppy ?, or just old??"...lol

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
Were starting a group to remove ch18 from our radio's.... filling in toilets, ripping up tar, Keep all the ch18ers in the nursing homes (caravan parks) where they belong....

I would have to say a hardfloor is the ultimate quick stop camper. Leave it hitched , kick the floor over and your in bed. As i said, we have slept in all sorts of places and when you have to break on a big drive its great
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:29:22 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
You shouldnt be able to but the stick on letters at bunnimgs that say Channel 18  for the back of anything  & if you do your first up against the wall come the revolution  :o
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Marie_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 06:38:17 AM »
Our slide-on is the same as a hard floor camper and we use the free spots all the time - also used them when we only had a tent.

Only restriction - in Camps Australia Wide there are a few sites that say "self contained vehicles only" meaning it has holding tanks for it's grey & black water, but even a little pop-top or small caravan wouldn't fit into that category.

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:12 AM »
Our slide-on is the same as a hard floor camper and we use the free spots all the time - also used them when we only had a tent.

Only restriction - in Camps Australia Wide there are a few sites that say "self contained vehicles only" meaning it has holding tanks for it's grey & black water, but even a little pop-top or small caravan wouldn't fit into that category.

Thank you!, because we dont have thank you button!!..... ;D

cheers

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »
Only restriction - in Camps Australia Wide there are a few sites that say "self contained vehicles only" meaning it has holding tanks for it's grey & black water,

Hi,
  I believe the CMCA are authorised to issue a "self contained vehicle" sticker to their members it their vehicle meets the agreed requirement.
It can be as little as a porta potty for the 'doings' and a suitable container for the sink/shower grey water, which can be made a little more 'built in' with their style of vehicle.

It does seem a little ridiculous when there is no such requirement for stopping is such places during daylight hours.

cheers

Offline Ketsi

• Going Nowhere - and can't wait to get there!!!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 01:16:35 PM »
I don't think I have ever heard of anyone policing the free camp spots, or being kicked out of one, unless there is a problem with the overnigh stop overs becoming a little more permanent.

I would say they are policed at some point but maybe not too regularly... we stopped at one just a few weekends back which is just north of Brissy and there was a 2 man dome tent setup with a multitude of tarps looking conspicuously like a homeless setup... after doing a bit of a morning stroll we counted another 3 locations of signs where the grass has been killed of in exactly the same size as the afore mentioned tent... seems like the tenter was keen to take as much advantage of the location but must have been asked to move on at least a couple of times before returning to a new patch of grass....

Will take a bit more to keep the campo's away tho... coming soon to a rest stop near you...  ;D  8)

Cheers,  :cheers:
Ketsi

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
Thank people , because we dont have a thank you button!!!!....... ;D

cheers