Author Topic: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD  (Read 49707 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »
Measurement of height rule for a GQ Nissan Partol Wagon : Vertical measurement wheel centre to top of wheel arch opening at unladen mass.

The bit that I just noticed about this was "at unladen mass"

So, when they pull you up at the side of the road, they're going to remove your bullba & roof racks, take the drawers & fridge out of the back & empty all your luggage & 90% of your fuel to take the vehicle down to unladen mass to measure it ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
As soon as you say, "but that is blue plated sir", I can guarantee you that the fine toothed comb will come out and more of your time will be wasted because you are now considered a smartass.......... and if there is a bit of mud where it shouldn't be, off to DOT you go!!

Come on, not even you believe that..... really.....defect you for a spec of mud?

Nothing to do with the fact that you are dragged off the road and away from where you were going under the "assumption" your vehicle "looks" illegal!!

That's the way enforcing the law works, if it looks like you might be breaking it they check, if you are you face the consequences, if not they send you on your way.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2018, 08:43:10 AM »
So 6 pages and has anyone on here as yet been actually pulled over ????
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »
As soon as you say, "but that is blue plated sir", I can guarantee you that the fine toothed comb will come out and more of your time will be wasted because you are now considered a smartass.......... and if there is a bit of mud where it shouldn't be, off to DOT you go!!

Nothing to do with the fact that you are dragged off the road and away from where you were going under the "assumption" your vehicle "looks" illegal!!
As stated before... It has happened to me, be it a long time ago and in NSW, Police pull you over for roadside inspection and the RTA  boys do the checks " I have a certificate for the Modifications "  officer ..."  We will  need you to proceed straight to the RTA inspection center for further tests Driver " ..
" But why, here is the Mod certificate "  reply was " Are you going to comply or do we place a defective vehicle sticker on the vehicle and it has to be towed and you take it off the road till its Inspected " ..
The head inspector didnt deem my roll cage met with [ His ] the standards and defected the car, even though the RTA Recognised Engineer had signed off on it  ...  Verdict was 21 days to rectify the defect and get a blue slip full roadworthy compliance, AT my expense .
A good half of a day plus wasted sitting around the RTA Inspection station, then more time removing the Roll cage and getting a Blueslip clearance.
That was the quickest option to get back on the road, other  than fighting with the Bastards at the time ....
Soo Im guessing if the Inspectors want to be " Turds "  they can be and you dont get much say in the matter at the time .. And I was being calm,  polite and minding my manners .. Would have hated to see  how they would have reacted if I put on a show ..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:50:53 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2018, 08:47:40 AM »

As per the thread title, and the link posted, at least some people have been pulled over, defected etc, so it's pretty irrelevant whether they were also members here. Also, I don't think the cops are issued with a list of forum members...  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2018, 08:52:36 AM »
Also, I don't think the cops are issued with a list of forum members...  ;D

Oh I dunno - I know there's a few :police: swaggers, so they may be passing details on to their mates... >:D ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
Quote from: tryagain
Come on, not even you believe that..... really.....defect you for a spec of mud?
The latest fav around these parts is dirt on your lights or # plate...

2 blokes I know have been done for it, and when you see the photos of the "dirt" there was pretty much no obstruction to the light or plates and nearly every car on the road would be off the road ..  Just the bacon on a PR exercise.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2018, 09:06:28 AM »

2 blokes I know have been done for it, and when you see the photos of the "dirt" there was pretty much no obstruction to the light or plates and nearly every car on the road would be off the road ..  Just the bacon on a PR exercise.

Got done for similar in Vic many years ago........be late 90's. Was course checking the "rally in the valley" in my skyline. Had those clear plastic licence plate covers. A light covering of dust on the "inside" of the covers.........fine and points........ licence plate was visible, just the copper was being a prick!!

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »

You got pics? not saying there aren't  :police: who are on a power trip as I don't doubt there are, just curious to see what they deemed worthy of a fine.

KingBilly

« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
As stated before... It has happened to me, be it a long time ago and in NSW, Police pull you over for roadside inspection and the RTA  boys do the checks " I have a certificate for the Modifications "  officer ..."  We will  need you to proceed straight to the RTA inspection center for further tests Driver " ..
" But why, here is the Mod certificate "  reply was " Are you going to comply or do we place a defective vehicle sticker on the vehicle and it has to be towed and you take it off the road till its Inspected " ..
The head inspector didnt deem my roll cage met with [ His ] the standards and defected the car, even though the RTA Recognised Engineer had signed off on it  ...  Verdict was 21 days to rectify the defect and get a blue slip full roadworthy compliance, AT my expense .
A good half of a day plus wasted sitting around the RTA Inspection station, then more time removing the Roll cage and getting a Blueslip clearance.
That was the quickest option to get back on the road, other  than fighting with the Bastards at the time ....
Soo Im guessing if the Inspectors want to be " Turds "  they can be and you dont get much say in the matter at the time .. And I was being calm,  polite and minding my manners .. Would have hated to see  how they would have reacted if I put on a show ..

Wow, you must have had no confidence in the qualifications and/or the certification of your “RTA Recognised Engineer” to remove the cage and have it re-inspected.  If a qualified, certified engineer had approved the cage installation, end of story.  Something is a bit odd with this.

KB

KingBilly

« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
Oh I dunno - I know there's a few :police: swaggers, so they may be passing details on to their mates... >:D ;D

You and Bird in a competition to see who can be the biggest keyboard warrior tosser?

KB

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »
You and Bird in a competition to see who can be the biggest keyboard warrior tosser?

KB

Is your lack of a sense of humor indicative of your profession?  >:D >:D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:10 AM »
Quote from: tryagain
You got pics? not saying there aren't  :police: who are on a power trip as I don't doubt there are, just curious to see what they deemed worthy of a fine.
Na mate had them on his phone - put it this way I've seen worse in suburbia than this was.
Tryin to find image on google images but cant see much similar.
I always carry 5ltr bottle of water and washed mine and windows when coming off tracks

If its like this - fair call
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

KingBilly

« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:06:59 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
was reading earlier a post elsewhere made by a fella I know, he wrote....
I warned the son to be on the lookout- yep around the redlands bike cops were doing the rounds bringing in every modified 4x4 they could find to the portable inspection station.  They were setup at the boat ramp at Raby Bay and also somewhere in Capalaba.
there is definitely a blitz on currently, it’s not just internet BS

The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »
As per the thread title, and the link posted, at least some people have been pulled over, defected etc, so it's pretty irrelevant whether they were also members here. Also, I don't think the cops are issued with a list of forum members...  ;D

I was more about if someone on here as actually been pulled over and could give FIRST hand info as to what went on, what was measured, looked at etc
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »
Sorry for late reply gents been working, Id say that sticker is the same as mine Steve, as mine is only half there, 265/75 x 16 tyres,, Mr edz Craig
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:15:41 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
Sorry for late reply gents been working, Id say that sticker is the same as mine Steve, as mine is only half there, 265/75 x 16 tyres,, Mr edz Craig

Your current tyre diameter is about 804mm (265x1.5+16x25.4) which is the same as the placard that steffo01 posted and edz interpreted.

In short, you are fine.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/qld-police-ambushed-modified-4wds-119460.html

Probably the best criticism of the blitz I have seen so far, the retrospective nature of the law change without a public awareness campaign if true is pretty bad. Some of the AAAA claims though seem pretty self-serving though and contain logical fallacies.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2018, 02:18:59 PM »
Probably the best criticism of the blitz I have seen so far, the retrospective nature of the law change without a public awareness campaign if true is pretty bad. Some of the AAAA claims though seem pretty self-serving though and contain logical fallacies.
Bye bye tourism.

" including visiting interstate cars – the new law has seen many tourists and locals unsuspectingly fined with defective stickers handed out, including the impounding of some vehicles."
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2018, 02:20:59 PM »
I was more about if someone on here as actually been pulled over and could give FIRST hand info as to what went on, what was measured, looked at etc

Fairynuff, but that wasn't clear in your one line post.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
Wow, you must have had no confidence in the qualifications and/or the certification of your “RTA Recognised Engineer” to remove the cage and have it re-inspected.  If a qualified, certified engineer had approved the cage installation, end of story.  Something is a bit odd with this.

KB
The head honcho deemed the front half of the cage had to be removable for road use [ which was totaly stupid and to be bolted back in when I got to the race track ]  otherwise he would not clear the defect  ...
As said it was for me, far easier / quicker to remove the cage at the time and get back on the road [ about 24 bolts and an hour or so of my time  ] ..
And yes I and many others had little confidence in EITHER of the Head RTA inspector and the Recognised So called Engineer . But he was THE MAN  we were sent to see and  empty our wallets with, to get engineer certificates  in our area ..
My engine builder who is and was a Real Engineer with many many years of real experience, battled  for over 4 hours to get this RTA approved engineer to understand that an engine can be de- stroked  to get a smaller engine CC displacement, this was needed to meet the proper engine capacity for the the engine mod for rego  On several occasions ..
My engine builders assesment on the abillities of the RTA engineer, Was how in gods name did he ever get endorsed as an Engineer when he couldnt even understand the most basic engineering principles ..
But hey I was there / Experienced this event,  so it mustnt of happened that way ...
 Yep, the very odd bit is someone in AUTHORITY PLAYING GOD  and someone thats got a piece of paper to be an AUTHORITY being INCOMPETENT .... BUUTTTT  that would never happen .....     Strange Huh !
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:21:33 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »

I think my mothers brothers, his sons step mum, the cousin of the step mum aunties grand child got bull over

LOL...or a mate of a mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro