Author Topic: Kings Kwiky Roof Top Tent  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
Kings Kwiky Roof Top Tent
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:45:04 AM »
Anyone in this forum own a Kings Kwiky hard top tent? Trying to find some genuine feedback on this product.

I cannot justify the price tag of the James Baroud RTT and the Kings looks to have very similar features for the fraction of the price.

I do hope Kings release a white version though as that would be my preference. Can you also leave these things on permanently? Or is it recommended to take it off everytime?

Cheers

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Kings Kwiky Roof Top Tent
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
If colour is a big consideration, you could always just paint it, some of the ute tub liners could work well.

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:38:28 AM »
Although I'd prefer white, it's not a deal breaker. The price of James Baroud is certainly a deal breaker.

Just watched a review of the Kwiky on youtube and it looks the goods....saying that, it may have been a paid review so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Hence my post on here.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:25:07 AM »
Just watched a review of the Kwiky on youtube and it looks the goods....
I assume its this one https://youtu.be/n4RZjdMOKOk but what caught my eye was this comment
Will the tent stay up while driving at highway speeds? It would be handy to leave it up and let the kids have a sleep while driving to the next destination.
:o :o :o :o :o
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
Haha that comment is gold....assuming it was tongue in cheek but you never know with some people haha.

With the James Baroud, you can definitely leave it up if you want to drive a small distance (minus the kids). Assuming you could do the same in the Kings.

Hopefully there is an owner on this forum somewhere who can give me some feedback. Cheers

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
No one?

:(

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:32 AM »
Hi 009, I just took a gal steel 25 to 30cm high roof rack off my old 80 series and picked up 40ks extra on a 45lt tank of diesel and 1/2 a gear on the hills mine will only go on for trips away if I need it, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:57:17 AM »
No one?

:(
can't help with their tents, only thing I'll say is I hope the poles and material used in them are better quality then the awnings (doubt it though). Was swag camping with mates a while back, most had their awnings out on their 4wd's (about a half dozen vehicles) with nice leans on them for the water to run off with swags under them,  even still the 2 Kings awnings there managed to pool water and bend the poles on them. I put it down to the material stretching under the weight of the torrential rain (it seriously was torrential for a good hour, so fairly extreme rain situation really) even though each awning was set up for water to run off them....the horizontal poles then bent like bananas under the weight of the water. The Kings stuff is cheap for a reason, it will likely do the job you want it to do 98% of the time....i thought I recalled someone posting on here a while back saying thier Kings RTT was sagging in places pooling water and no matter what they tried couldn't get it to pull tight, been waiting for them to reply here in this thread but maybe my memory is mistaken.  Will likely get flamed by those who own the Kings gear now, but the 2 awnings shouldn't have failed like they did considering how they were set up, other brand awnings coped fine on the day.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »
But if you replaced those poles with Supapeg ones or similar, would they then be OK ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »
But if you replaced those poles with Supapeg ones or similar, would they then be OK ???
i think the main issue is the fabric they use more so then the poles....it stretches and allows the water to pool, then the poles bend due to the weight of the water....so stronger poles would just let it collect more water IMO.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
Quote from: Craig Tomkinson
Hi 009, I just took a gal steel 25 to 30cm high roof rack off my old 80 series and picked up 40ks extra on a 45lt tank of diesel and 1/2 a gear on the hills mine will only go on for trips away if I need it, Craig

I'd agree with that.. the roofy on my GQ was a parachute.

If I could get the one off the GU easier, I'd do it tonight before snow trip tomorrow :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home