Author Topic: looking at a Triton ?  (Read 969 times)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
looking at a Triton ?
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
So I'm thinking about getting a Triton Exceed for my next work car with a CMS work body on the back.

My question is can you fit a service body to Triton dual cab Exceed model?

I have had a few cars over the years where you can't fit it to the models with extra trimmings. All the service body places say you can, but they would.
I have tried it on previous rangers and a falcon and it didn't, I needed the base models.
Have times changed or am I stuck with a GXL?

Thanks
Brian

Loving life.....
Retreat Daydream being dragged by a 150 playdo.... with a couple of Kwakas in tow too....

Offline nab

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: looking at a Triton ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:03:53 PM »
What kind of weight will you be carrying in the back? I just bought a dual cab Ranger and am putting a canopy on the back. One reason the Triton was off the list is the fact that pretty much all the weight is behind the rear wheels. My canopy and tools will prob be ~700kg so I wasn't comfortable having that on the Triton, especially as I plan on going on rough roads too.

As a matter of interest what was it about the Ranger that stopped the canopy being fitted? Also the Falcon (I currently have an FG with a Trademate canopy on the back)?

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:21:52 PM »
What kind of weight will you be carrying in the back? I just bought a dual cab Ranger and am putting a canopy on the back. One reason the Triton was off the list is the fact that pretty much all the weight is behind the rear wheels. My canopy and tools will prob be ~700kg so I wasn't comfortable having that on the Triton, especially as I plan on going on rough roads too.

As a matter of interest what was it about the Ranger that stopped the canopy being fitted? Also the Falcon (I currently have an FG with a Trademate canopy on the back)?

I am a sparky so it will have a lot of weight which can be a problem.....
I won't be doing any rough roads, only the track into the farm for a couple of km's every 2nd weekend or so.

The ranger was about 8 years ago and I had a body fitted, but could only go on the crew cab with suicide doors which was REALLY small in the back. Ok when kids were small, but no way they could fit now. Apparently it had something to do with the overhang and also the rear sensors were standard and could not be removed. The tray people wouldn't fit them to the new body so it didn't comply. In the end it was just easier to get the shorter base model as no one would fit the tray to the up spec ones.
I also asked a few people about doing it now and they have all said yes, but I'm after someone who's actually done it. I'd cry if I bought one and then found out some bad news......
I know cars now have a lot more gadgets etc.

As it turns out, I'm now waiting till the next financial year anyway, so I've got plenty of time to research.

Cheers
Brian
Loving life.....
Retreat Daydream being dragged by a 150 playdo.... with a couple of Kwakas in tow too....

Offline nab

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:20:12 PM »
My Ranger is a 2014 XLT with reversing beepers etc, I am integrating it all (including central locking/alarm/door open buzzer etc) but the Canbus system makes it a bit tricker than the old days haha!

Do you need new? Seem to be some good secondhand ones out there, save a truckload too!

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:31:42 AM »
If you get a Triton and put a service body on it, make sure you get three chassis strengthened.  Superior Engineering and a few others sell a strengthening kit that is welded to the rails where they are known to crack and bend.

Otherwise, it'll do the job nicely.

Don't dismiss the Amarok - 7 rung chassis vs 5, and no record of a bent one yet.  Every other dual cab, there are records of bent chassis' from carrying excessive weight

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 05:42:48 PM »
If Yu are on Facebook join the MQ Triton page. Might find your answer there

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 07:30:34 PM »
Best thing you can do is just keep looking at them  ;D ;D :cup: :cup: ;D ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Mitsubishi Australia

• Sleeping Bag User
    • Mitsubishi Motors Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
So I'm thinking about getting a Triton Exceed for my next work car with a CMS work body on the back.

My question is can you fit a service body to Triton dual cab Exceed model?

I have had a few cars over the years where you can't fit it to the models with extra trimmings. All the service body places say you can, but they would.
I have tried it on previous rangers and a falcon and it didn't, I needed the base models.
Have times changed or am I stuck with a GXL?

Thanks
Brian

Hello Brian,

Please see below for information regarding rear overhang.

ADR 43/04 - Vehicle Configuration & Dimensions

6. Dimensions of Vehicles
6.1.2.1.    The ‘Rear Overhang’ of any motor vehicle must not exceed 60 percent of the ‘Wheelbase’, or 3.7 metres, whichever is the lesser.

Triton wheelbase is 3,000mm
Therefore, rear overhang must not exceed 1,800mm.

Please see below for information regarding weight.

The ability to fit a CMS work body to the Exceed will depend upon the weight of the work body and its contents.
The payload for an Exceed is 950kg.

Actually, the payload is calculated with the tub in place, as this will be removed to add the work body, this weight can be added to the payload.

As long as the work body and its contents do not exceed the maximum payload, it should be okay.
Also, other limits must be considered, such as rear axle mass and gross vehicle mass.

As you can see, using a GLX will increase the allowable payload to improve the situation.

Kind Regards,
The Mitsubishi Team
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
I am a sparky so it will have a lot of weight which can be a problem.....
I won't be doing any rough roads, only the track into the farm for a couple of km's every 2nd weekend or so.

The ranger was about 8 years ago and I had a body fitted, but could only go on the crew cab with suicide doors which was REALLY small in the back. Ok when kids were small, but no way they could fit now. Apparently it had something to do with the overhang and also the rear sensors were standard and could not be removed. The tray people wouldn't fit them to the new body so it didn't comply. In the end it was just easier to get the shorter base model as no one would fit the tray to the up spec ones.
I also asked a few people about doing it now and they have all said yes, but I'm after someone who's actually done it. I'd cry if I bought one and then found out some bad news......
I know cars now have a lot more gadgets etc.

As it turns out, I'm now waiting till the next financial year anyway, so I've got plenty of time to research.

Cheers
Brian

Hey Brian have you considered a cut & stretched cruiser? You get a huge discount if you cut a new car because it takes the luxury car tax and something else off and you can fit a 2m x 2m tray with I think upto 4200kg GVM
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim