Author Topic: Personal Cloud Storage Options...  (Read 10615 times)

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
Re: Personal Cloud Storage Options...
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »
Can I ask why not  iCloud or a Google Drive solution?

Its not so much about not using a large Cloud option like Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox, etc., as using different tools for different purposes. I do already use the iCloud for some things.

You raise some really, really good points that a lot more people should be aware of. I personally do use a password manager so that I can have stupidly complicated unique passwords for everything, LOL. So I'm never all that concerned when some website I use has a data breach (which has happened to me more than once) and my login details are compromised - I can just change the password for that site and am not worried about other accounts being compromised. (I also have multiple email accounts and use some for the more "spammy", less trustworthy websites - huge help!)

I think I noted in a previous comment that I'm aware that a NAS type setup relies on the stability of your internet. Personally that's why I wouldn't use something like that as a web or mail server, even though you technically can. No way is my internet connection that reliable (we only had a technician out last week, LOL). It is unlikely going to be the end of the world if I can't access something on my NAS set up for a few days if it took that long to get an internet issue sorted and I was away. I always have a house sitter stay if I do extended travel, so I'd be aware of any internet problems as they arose. House sitter also solves some of the other issues you've mentioned.

Part of the reason I'm looking for a NAS type set up is security and privacy. There are certain documents and files that I would be very apprehensive about storing in a more widely accessible Cloud. Sure, I realise 100% that you've gotta be careful with what you store on a NAS set up too, but at least I can have some degree of control over how secure it is - that's part of the homework I'm doing now on different systems, and something that will make or break my decision to get one/a particular system. Security of the home network would also be beefed up if I do go down this path.

The other issue is data ownership, copyright, use licensing, that sort of thing. Depending on the service and their very detailed terms, you may find that you have signed over ownership and/or use rights to your data with a Cloud service (take Instagram as an example there - far as I'm aware Instagram can still use the photos you upload in any way they see fit, without your consent... because you've already given it... unless they've since changed that detail in their ToS). I know that certain companies don't use Dropbox/other Cloud services for work-related documents for this reason, and certain academic libraries discourage academics from using some of those services for that reason also... particularly when servers are off-shore (International Copyright Law isn't one of my strengths, LOL, but apparently that can create a problem). With a NAS, I don't have that problem. I own the server, I own the files, no one has access to them without my say-so. Simples. LOL.

The one "issue" with a NAS I haven't completely solved is the ability to do an off-site backup of whatever I have stored on my NAS system. Unless I rope a family member into also setting one up. In which case I can tick that off the list as achievable also. ;D I'd plan to do some kind of local back-up of anything critical on a regular basis too.

I'm definitely not saying I have all the answers. There are a lot of potential downfalls, issues and compromises. But I wouldn't be using the NAS alone as my only "Cloud" option, only back up location, etc. For me this is just the research phase. Reasons why I'd get a NAS won't apply to or suit others. Heck, it may end up being all too difficult and I might not bother, LOL.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 04:12:23 PM »
Also, thank you to everyone who's added suggestions, advice and input. It's definitely helped a lot. At this early stage I'm looking at the likes of a Synology unit, but no idea just yet exactly what would suit. I have a LOT more reading still to do! ;)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
The one "issue" with a NAS I haven't completely solved is the ability to do an off-site backup of whatever I have stored on my NAS system. Unless I rope a family member into also setting one up. In which case I can tick that off the list as achievable also. ;D I'd plan to do some kind of local back-up of anything critical on a regular basis too.

look up amazon glacier and how it integrates with synology for your offsite backups...

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

the synology NAS has glacier support built in...

i am using glacier as my offsite backup solution... costs me about $3 a month for 500gb

the key is that it costs less if you don't have to restore from it very often and you're not in a mad rush to get the stuff back...

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »
look up amazon glacier and how it integrates with synology for your offsite backups...

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

the synology NAS has glacier support built in...

i am using glacier as my offsite backup solution... costs me about $3 a month for 500gb

the key is that it costs less if you don't have to restore from it very often and you're not in a mad rush to get the stuff back...

Will definitely look into it, cheers.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
amazon glacier is not the only type of cheap, long term cloud storage...

backblaze has their own solution - B2

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html

also integrates nicely with a synology (qnap) NAS device...

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/partner-synology.html

just remember, these types of cloud storage options are cheap because the expectation is that they are for disaster recovery only, and you won't actually be retrieving from them very often...
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
amazon glacier is not the only type of cheap, long term cloud storage...
just remember, these types of cloud storage options are cheap because the expectation is that they are for disaster recovery only, and you won't actually be retrieving from them very often.
theres dozens of pages showing the good/bad/ugly in all the options.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
theres dozens of pages showing the good/bad/ugly in all the options.

just trying to help, mate... not trying to sell anything...

i do have some experience in this particular area, so i thought i would try and contribute...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
Quote from: paceman
just trying to help, mate... not trying to sell anything..
na na not bolloxin ya... you should know me better than that by now :P
Just sayin so he can see the options in 1 place
although I do hesitate to believe any reviews by magazines they are useful for listing options so you can make up ya mind or find independent reviews..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »
na na not bolloxin ya... you should know me better than that by now :P
Just sayin so he can see the options in 1 place
although I do hesitate to believe any reviews by magazines they are useful for listing options so you can make up ya mind or find independent reviews..

fair enough...  ;D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »
Quote from: DannyG
It could essentially be a one stop shop for home digital storage solutions that the kids can access old movies...photos or whatever at home and when away??
Run a program called Plex and it you can stream movies, music, what ever you like to most devices, (phones, tablets, tv's etc) as long as you have internets connection.. Note; you need a 64bit NAS to run Plex.

Bloke at work steams music from his NAS to work PC or phone all day and movies LOL.. well he is the boss :(
Just installed it on my NAS and my mobile phone for much happy :)

I believe you can have your phones etc auto backup to the NAS remotely too but still gettin my head around the new NAS.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
So I've got few test songs on the NAS at home, and playing them here at work on PC through the browser  8)
Movies next :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
I'm late to this conversation but in case you are still looking for a solution trinity - consider just using an old computer and a VPN.  Personally I have a small Cisco router to be the VPN server but if you want something simpler then use a software solution like Hamachi.

Kirsty's Mac Mini and my Windows PC store their own files locally which are then automatically backed up to an old PC which has a couple of hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration which acts as a file server.  The VPN router allows me to connect to anything on my network securely, but mainly I use it to access stuff on the file server while overseas.

If you are wedded to the Apple ecosystem then you could just use a mac mini or something with a desktop hard drive plugged into it running Hamachi as a file server.  Mac mini's draw stuff all and if you put an SSD in them they run pretty well.  Also if you use Hamachi you don't need to stuff around with the firewall settings in your modem/router to open up the right ports.

The Synology and QNAP NAS products are really good but the issue I have with them is that if you DO happen to have an issue you are relying on their tech support.  With my own PC's I am quite proficient in supporting those myself and I don't need to rely on anyone else.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
What the F**K language are you guys talking in

Makes my quarterly back up to an external hard drive look ancient
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »
Thanks guys! This all went on the back-burner for a bit but will definitely be putting the wheels in motion sometime in the foreseeable future! :D The advice and suggestions on here have been awesome.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
Diggity Dig.

Well worth revisiting with Gronk nearly binning all his photos and the lot due to a dropped laptop - who do you use for your online backs of all your precious stuff these days and rough costs?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
Diggity Dig.

Well worth revisiting with Gronk nearly binning all his photos and the lot due to a dropped laptop - who do you use for your online backs of all your precious stuff these days and rough costs?
Still using Backblaze for cloud backups...

500GB of files backed up for about $5 a month...

Done automatically via the NAS you sold me, Bird...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2020, 06:57:37 PM »
Quote from: paceman
Still using Backblaze for cloud backups...

500GB of files backed up for about $5 a month...

Done automatically via the NAS you sold me, Bird...
Sweet - glad its still  8) 8) 8) 8) happily :) :) :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Personal Cloud Storage Options...
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
Sweet - glad its still  8) 8) 8) 8) happily :) :) :)
Me too... it’s running as my backup onsite NAS, which just runs a script to copy new or changed files to Backblaze...

To clarify, I use the B2 Cloud storage option with Backblaze...

It’s specifically designed for long term storage, with little copying back from their servers, unless a recovery is required.

That’s why it’s cheap...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:19:37 PM by paceman »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2020, 08:54:40 PM »
I'll start looking tomorrow. Only want to store photos.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 09:33:15 AM »
Personally I use a second Unraid PC based nas that sits in my shed on a shelf that gets pulled out occasionally so I can update my backup from my server based main Unraid nas. Been doing this for about five years now and works fine. The second nas has some pretty good hardware sitting in a battered and ugly looking 15 yo pc case that no one in their right mind would steal. Thats the plan anyway. Is in a second building away from the house, is not connected to the net so is basically secure.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.