Author Topic: The reason I’m taking a break from MySwag  (Read 7855 times)

Offline MB TD42

• Tent User
    • Retroform Carpentry and Joinery
Re: The reason I’m taking a break from MySwag
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
Come n go...the real world is more important...glad you chose it over internet.

Friends will always be cool with whatever and in good sun will help out when they can...

Take care mate...my wife's cousin has the same deal but luckily he's coping ok.

Take care

We're all ere coz we ain't all there.

We're all hear coz we ain't all there...

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 07:32:02 AM »
Myswag is just the same as real life in my experience.

In real life there are a lot of negative, racist, anti anything type people and there are a lot of great people. So of course you will get the same thing on some online forums and even more so because some chose to remain mostly anonymous so they can say things they may not when face to face.

I still pop in here daily and most likely always will. I enjoy some of the threads and over the years some of the characters on here feel like friends I am catching up with daily. In fact some of the characters I do consider friends.

I do notice one or two that are anti most things and dont seem to have a positive bone in their body, but thats ok, we are all different. I for the most part just ignore them and have my say regardless ;D

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, Spada, Fizzie

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 07:59:14 AM »
Myswag is just the same as real life in my experience.

In real life there are a lot of negative, racist, anti anything type people and there are a lot of great people. So of course you will get the same thing on some online forums and even more so because some chose to remain mostly anonymous so they can say things they may not when face to face.

I still pop in here daily and most likely always will. I enjoy some of the threads and over the years some of the characters on here feel like friends I am catching up with daily. In fact some of the characters I do consider friends.

I do notice one or two that are anti most things and dont seem to have a positive bone in their body, but thats ok, we are all different. I for the most part just ignore them and have my say regardless ;D

Well said. So true
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »
I don't come here to help form my opinion on politics, religion, climate change or electrical rules. I will sometimes posty opinion, if you don't like it then it doesn't worry me, each to his own.

As many have already said, it is the shared love of camping, and outdoors that I'm drawn to. When I see negative posts I scroll straight past them.
First post here for me in quite some time, but the fact this thread itself exists now doesn't surprise me at all, and i highlighted above in jonesy's reply what related to me.
My 2 cents on the subject for what it's worth......What I used to love about this forum was it was about camping and outdoors, sadly though over time the majority of posts were becoming less and less about camping and travel, and more about certain people's opinions on politics and religion, then now I see since I stopped posting here before them getting locked was about a dozen threads on Corona Virus, and in general just a constant theme of very negative attitudes (which was dragging me into a similar mindset, and not what I want in my life). Whilst I still do drop in to see what's happening here, i just can't be bothered posting here now due to the forum not being the same easy going place I remember it once was, somewhere that people respected other peoples views, and was more about having a laugh then people having a whinge.
I can't see this happening, but If the forum ever gets back to mostly being about  people asking for info on future trips / holiday and camping  locations and then posting up thier trip reports (these are rarer then hens teeth here now and has been for quite some time), and people posting about thier builds (yes I know that still exists and is great to see), and  in general being a forum about camping and outdoors like it once was, then I may be interested in coming back and contributing here again (as much as that might pain some.....lol.). Some members will stand up for the forum as they themselves still enjoy posting here, and I understand that as i did the same when many of my mates left this forum several years ago, but where there's smoke there's fire, and there's a very good reason my mates left, then I chose to stop posting here and others are posting thier own similar views. Whilst this forum in general is nowhere near as bad as other forums are, and there are still some great folk on here that genuinely do care about others and do reach out to see if they are ok, and they do actually help others out, it doesn't mean there's no merit in what some of it's members that are choosing to walk or step away are saying. The mods here do a great job and I don't want them to take my view as criticism aimed at them, it's just my opinion on where the site has gone over time, and why I myself had chosen to stop posting on here.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: rossm, edz, Jeepers Creepers, Spada, Fizzie, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »
First post here for me in quite some time,

Your absence had been noted, Rummie :'(

While I do also agree with quite a bit of what you & others have said, I hope that you'll all hang on & hopefully get Swag back to where it was, & should be again!

:cheers:
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
A lot of good swaggers have gone.

I took 3 months off to get away from the negative crap.
Too many Shits posts, just dragging folks down.

Been back a week, not much has changed.
Same ones stirring Shit and shoving their opinions down peoples throats.

For a long time, this was a fun site with the odd angry shot.
Now its like a shooting range with the odd happy shot.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
To then read all the dumbass, racist,  bigoted and anti-everything/everyone comments from a bunch of dickhead keyboard warriors on this forum is doing my head in. 

I've just gone into the Funny Photos 2020 thread for the first time this year, and the amount of racist insults that are in there relating to the Covid-19 pandemic is ridiculous. I know that some think that it's their local pub, but here you aren't known from Adam and the image of the forum and the users of the froum that is portrayed by that thread?

A bunch of racist bogans who are out of touch with the community norms.

Now, we get to some of the comments in this thread and we're back to the teenage boy smut humour (not even pub level really) - again, out of touch with many under the age of 40 - whilst it's funny for you, again think about how it portrays you to those who are just landing on the forum.

To the extent that if the mods and admins are serious about clearing up the forum, then those sorts of comments need knocking on the head - it's not something I'd say in the workplace, and probably not socially either - and nor is it something I'd expect to hear from someone.

On a lighter note, Rumpig made many good points - and I think that are some parts that need addressing in this section:
I can't see this happening, but If the forum ever gets back to mostly being about  people asking for info on future trips / holiday and camping  locations and then posting up thier trip reports (these are rarer then hens teeth here now and has been for quite some time), and people posting about thier builds (yes I know that still exists and is great to see), and  in general being a forum about camping and outdoors like it once was, then I may be interested in coming back and contributing here again (as much as that might pain some.....lol.).

I think that the underlying problem that has killed off the trip reports is how hard it is to post pictures into this forum. You need to upload either a very small (file size of only 500kb) image and then set it to display full size, which was fine when a phone camera fired you out something small enough, but now most phones take a 5MB+ picture... so that doesn't work as well - and I really can't be faffed with re-sizing all my pictures to make them work.

The alternative is to host it elsewhere and then hotlink it across; Facebook isn't stable with the URLs any longer for this (they used to be, but then they wised up...) and Photobucket stopped doing free hotlinking.

Or you can use Tapatalk, and provide a load of free advertising to them (see the signature in every post from someone using Tapatalk that says "Sent from my phone using Tapatalk") which I think is easier for the photo upload side. BUT there is a whole lot of dodgy ownership stuff going on in the background - One of the other forums I'm on wrote a very detailed post about why Tapatalk is not good for the forum: https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/tapatalk-support-dropped.145367/

Alternatively, a Forum Software upgrade (for example, to the same platform as the forum above) would enable direct loading of photos from both mobile phones and on a desktop, with the forum having more control over it all.

Hope that's all helpful, but like others, I'm seriously considering my engagement in the forum and what content I engage with.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:22:47 PM by Snow »

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 03:15:08 PM »

To the extent that if the mods and admins are serious about clearing up the forum, then those sorts of comments need knocking on the head - it's not something I'd say in the workplace, and probably not socially either - and nor is it something I'd expect to hear from someone.

I've mentioned before that I'm also a member on Whirlpool, as I know other's on here also are.

They have very high / strict levels of moderation, with the simple concept that if you wouldn't say it to Grandma at the dinner table, don't say it here! ::)

Not a bad idea at all ;D

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »
I've mentioned before that I'm also a member on Whirlpool, as I know other's on here also are.

They have very high / strict levels of moderation, with the simple concept that if you wouldn't say it to Grandma at the dinner table, don't say it here! ::)

Not a bad idea at all ;D

Perfectly sensible policy.

Thanks Snow for the edit on my post - it removed the posts that I'd quoted to reinforce my point.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »

Not a bad idea at all ;D
But as you know, you question a mods comment or decision in Whirlpool and you'll find yourself in the bin.
Besides, it's full of lefties, and the mods even belittle users for asking questions,
Haven't commented on anything thete for years, it's not worth the grief, spent many a time in the sin bin for asking a mod to clarify why?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:43:52 PM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2020, 03:52:57 PM »

My 2 cents on the subject for what it's worth......What I used to love about this forum was it was about camping and outdoors, sadly though over time the majority of posts were becoming less and less about camping and travel, and more about certain people's opinions on politics and religion,

While a lot of topics have strayed from camping itself, politics and religion have never been an allowed topic.

A lot of people are complaining about certain topics, but if you aren't interested, why read it in the 1st place ?

I rarely ever start a thread, but there are heaps of threads I read.....and there are ones that wouldn't interest me ( like fishing or camp oven ), so I don't read them....fairly easy I thought ??

Smut humour ?? I can't say I recall reading any, but in my 61 yrs, I've learnt there are far better things to do in your life than get upset about some words written on a forum ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
But as you know, you question a mods comment or decision in Whirlpool and you'll find yourself in the bin.

Hasn't happened to me yet!

Besides, it's full of lefties,

Certainly not the bit's I live in when I'm not on Swag ;D

it's not worth the grief, spent many a time in the sin bin for asking a mod to clarify why?

Maybe it's how you asked ??? :-*

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »
if you aren't interested, why read it in the 1st place ?

Yep, which is why my General Discussion page shows that Old Cars, Supercars, bicycles, F1, AFL & NRL have new unread posts, & they stay that way ;D

Same, same with discussions about various CTs - I've got a van so I'm now not interested in features of CTs.

But for all those people that are interested in those topics - go to it, & I hope you enjoy it! ;D

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 04:22:27 PM »
Hasn't happened to me yet!

Certainly not the bit's I live in when I'm not on Swag ;D

Maybe it's how you asked ??? :-*

Ahaha,
I had a long time user(mod, who didn't want to be named)) pm me and gave me the heads up on how the hand full of mods run the show,
In their lounge section, they do talk politics(only if you agree with their view), ;)
Unless it has loosened up since my last time in the bin(2011).
:)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
It’s not hard to understand, sometimes the threads you are interested in have off topic or family UN-friendly banter. But hard to not click on it when the thread you were enjoying turns sour. Just keep it friendly if going off topic.

For example Paceman often very politely asks for people to not make fun of Christianity, then everyone gets defensive even though their comments, while not that offensive, at least are indirectly not very nice. A simple “no probs mate” is all that’s needed l and that’s the end of it, instead 10 posts later it still carries on.

In the end it’s just a forum, still it doesn’t mean you need to be an arse or share your political/religious opinion.

I do my best to keep this forum camping related and get trip reports up with some pics, if anything it’s a diary for myself!! Others here haven’t posted anything camping related for a long time but they make sure their opinion is out there!! If there’s not enough camping related content to post, then maybe the forum will slowly dwindle and run it’s course. Has been this way for years, not a new thing. I keep coming back for the builds and trip reports, few and far between in this current times situation.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, discoteddy, paceman

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
I must live in a parallel universe....or maybe I just approach things with a different attitude.... ???

The only negative posts I see are from people grizzling about all the negativity..... ::) ::)

Lighten up and smell the flowers everyone. It's good to be alive.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....
The following users thanked this post: alnjan, Mace, plusnq, Fizzie

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
I must live in a parallel universe....or maybe I just approach things with a different attitude.... ???

The only negative posts I see are from people grizzling about all the negativity..... ::) ::)

Lighten up and smell the flowers everyone. It's good to be alive.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I agree. Why are people getting "precious" about what's written on a forum ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2020, 05:30:43 PM »
I find it odd that people get upset that in the section that is for general banter, there are all sorts of topics!  ??? Is this where non dedicated camping related banter happens and everything in general life is written about, so as it does not interfere with the dedicated sections associated with camping and that brings me to another thing. As far as camping goes, I don't give a flying fork about whether you have a tent swag camper trailer or a bloody caravan. If you're out in the bush or a camp ground, ya camping, no matter what ya in!  :P  :cheers:

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2020, 05:48:33 PM »
This topic has run it's course. Judge Jillsy has spoken in the other thread. If you don't like something keep scrolling...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, Mace, Fizzie

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
This topic has run it's course. Judge Jillsy has spoken in the other thread. If you don't like something keep scrolling...
Spot on
Cheers